CFL's not that long-lived - is it just me?

Options
2»

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: CFL's not that long-lived - is it just me?

my experience with any florescents are that they royally hate high humidity areas and will fail. i keep an incandescent in my shower as the light isn't pressed for any long term uses to warrant paying a high price on other types of bulbs. besides the extra heat of the standard incandescent helps to dissipate the extra humidity that does make it there.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    my experience with any florescents are that they royally hate high humidity areas and will fail. i keep an incandescent in my shower as the light isn't pressed for any long term uses to warrant paying a high price on other types of bulbs. besides the extra heat of the standard incandescent helps to dissipate the extra humidity that does make it there.

Interesting. Why would humidity affect a sealed unit?
  • a0128958
    a0128958 Solar Expert Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Options

For sealed shower recessed 'can' fixtures I use Philips CFL classic styled A19 bulbs (model 15700-8). The bulbs use amalgam technology that results in the bulbs being rated at 8000 hours in environments like this. I installed mine in late 4Q 2007 and so far haven't had one burn out.

These bulbs are 14 watts, 800 lumens, and direct replace 60 W incandescent. They are not dimmable, BTW.

Earlier in this thread I provided a chart of amalgam technology bulbs that I have found hold up expectionally well in recessed fixtures and other not-so-friendly environments. So far, none of the bulbs I illustrated on my slide have burned out for me at my residence (since 4Q 2007).

Best regards,

Bill
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

IS THERE AN online place that sells good quality led's for a good price.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options
    IS THERE AN online place that sells good quality led's for a good price.

Yes and so far I've bought lots , over 200.00 $ , 1 year plus and going.

I compare them to Home/Lowes/Crap-tube . I can buy 3 to one easy. Plus theres are dull , junk plus.

Last night , The Princess & myself did another order for 80.00$ more. Here that would of been 250.00 plus Government tariffs to the British Crown & Ottawa slum-lords.

Blue / white are 6500k -7000k, white are 5500k-6000k Warm white are 3500-4000k ..Blue to mauve / violet / purple is 7000/7500 to 12,000k
    I have Leds to Xenon type.

I do get the odd dud , but not worth me chasing for a credit. Guessing here , out of 50 + bulbs , 4 duds , but I also force twisted one.

VT

Is it allowed to post selling links ? Edit Add ,
    BB. wrote: »
    Links are fine for questions asked and answered.

-Bill
    Thanks Bill

Paypal required !!!

http://stores.ebay.com/dreambestbuy

http://www.dealextreme.com/

http://www.lightinthebox.com/

http://www.bigboxstore.com/

http://www.everbuying.com/

I buy many things , and wait 8 weeks Canada , 4 weeks USA (live both sides ) for stuff not for sale in the Americas "YET" .. Sell em the old NLA and clear stock .
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Links are fine for questions asked and answered.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have used Ebay sellers out of Hong Kong for my MR 16 bulbs. no duds, some fails (individual emitters) after a year or 2, but they were mounted in a HOT location and LEDs like to be as cool as possible, they still work but are a tad dimmer.

They seem to be a bit behind on availability of the newer hi tech emitters.
    Shipping can be high as they just seem to convert HK $ to US $ when the exchange is 1 to 10 cents... also can take up to 6 weeks or more to arrive.
    Just shop around adn get one with a good reputation.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • CDN_VT
    Options

MR 16 , and the base retention mounting is one the best I have seen & use.
    I added Links after Mr BB said , Good2Go.

VT
  • CDN_VT
    Options

Also , One MAJOR LED problem I have is finding nice fixtures . Since the LED pattern is different than CFL / INC type , plus it likes to have air flow for heat sink dissipation ..

If any of you folks see a decent area to find nice Light Fixtures (Wall, Ceiling ,All ) please post , or just PM me with the direction ..

Thanks VT
  • westbranch
    Options

I've noticed that the GU10 fixtures are almost identical to the MR16, different plug in, but have 1 major benefit... using a 110 V bulb vs the MR16 @ 12 v. less line loss... @ 110 than at 12 v... I wonder how they will work with MSW vs TSW

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

RE CFL Longevity, have been using Capsule Flourescent "Bulbs" since about 1981. Those were Mag Ballast, with glow starters. usually got about seven years from them.

For the current gen CFLs, have a number of them in service. No failures yet -- use them mostly fro diffuse background lighting.

CFLs seem to NOT llike heat around them, and frequent cycling. Have a couple here that have run about four or five hours per day, for the past six years ... but about time for a fqilure.

If one has standard 4, 5, or 6-inch lighting cans, there are a number of direct repleacements in LED, and some range of Color Temps.

For a new project, am mostly using LED cans. Very nice diffused light. Will report later. Oh, and, the LED can type emitters seem to be about half the $$ that they were last year. YMMV, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • CDN_VT
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    I've noticed that the GU10 fixtures are almost identical to the MR16, different plug in, but have 1 major benefit... using a 110 V bulb vs the MR16 @ 12 v. less line loss... @ 110 than at 12 v... I wonder how they will work with MSW vs TSW

sited @ 51* 46' N lat 124* 44' W long = BC Boy ..

I bought 30 MR16 female bulb receptacles / plug and have been switching over the fixtures to house the MR16 bulbs.
    We have a cold storage / bunker / bomb shelter (buried container ) as most have said when they see it , that is lit from these and a few other styles of Led light..

The type of MR16 bulbs I have been purchasing are not polarity sensitive and have an internal switching so either way they work.
    I lucked out a while ago , purchased 20+ new GU10 fixtures on track lighting at a Re-Store for cheap. this is where I use the MR16 base holder in updating the fixture.

I'll see if I can post a picture of these gems.
    Attachment not found.

The ones I purchased have griping spring clips to grab the two base lines in the MR16 bulb.

HTH's some ..

Always looking for nice fixtures!
    VT
  • westbranch
    Options

the last set of track fixtures (GU10) I got from Home Hardware, new and on sale for about $6 each. Waiting for the next sale...

I did the same and ripped out the gu10 base and replaced with MR16 bases as I was using 12 v right from the battery in the - now gone- old place.

• XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Options

Two Desk lamps that I'm using for 40W LEDs are from HomeDepot..
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202733092/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
    They cost $5 with free shipping, until Monday..
    I've ordered five now.. They are good quality for the money.. I got the Oyster color..

I have one on a shelf above my PC station and it's real nice.. Giving it 4 stars.. :)
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    XRinger wrote: »
    This item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): AK,HI,CA - Because in CA, the lawmakers decided the screw in bases use too much power. This is the trouble I'm running into building my new place, Lighting needs to be Title 24 compliant. Fixtures need to be GU-10 sockets, not easily modifiable back to med base screw. Very limiting on lighting choices for my wife. The few fixtures permitted, cost a fortune. Arghh ! And I'm off grid.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• XRinger
    Options

mike90045 wrote: »
    This item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): AK,HI,CA - Because in CA, the lawmakers decided the screw in bases use too much power. This is the trouble I'm running into building my new place, Lighting needs to be Title 24 compliant. Fixtures need to be GU-10 sockets, not easily modifiable back to med base screw. Very limiting on lighting choices for my wife. The few fixtures permitted, cost a fortune. Arghh ! And I'm off grid.

So, the government of CA doesn't know that someone has invented screw-in LED lamps that use less power than CFLs and don't contain mercury?

http://www.ncbr.com/article.asp?id=61351

LEDs use very little power - approximately a tenth of the power used by an equivalent incandescent bulb and half of the power used by a CFL. It is estimated that if each household in the U.S. replaced a single 60-watt incandescent bulb with a 7-watt LED, the country would save over 23 mega (million) watts per day. That is a savings greater than the daily output of the largest nuclear power plant in the country.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

That's some genius engineers they got in Calif to figure out that somehow the connect type of a bulb causes it to use more energy. Even our Canadian dictators didn't write that into their anti-incandescent law. ;)
  • CDN_VT
    Options
    Even our Canadian dictators didn't write that into their anti-incandescent law. ;)

Must be another happy BC-er . wait till the smart meters are 3rd party-ed out & well pumps are tax on volume pumped ! Ask Ontario rural folks , there choked..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Lighting needs to be Title 24 compliant" I read some of that Title 24 Doc..

Clear as mud , there seems to be ways to get around lots , plus there quoting lighting specs so old of technology (40-50 lm/W) that California government has no idea of what is 2005 technology . Date that the Doc was mandated in.

Min spec I purchase is 1W must have 120lm minimum , I see home depot/lowes / crap tube all sell basic junk. I wouldn't waste the amount they are charging for the poor light .. Last week in South Seattle they had a demo / sale on the "All New " Led house lighting ..Over Priced dull junk.. Good lighting is not cheap , but the crap there pushing is is old tech & overpriced.

I'm not a pure fan of the E26-27 base type bulbs .
  • XRinger
    Options

Lowes has one LED that I really like. http://www.lowes.com/pd_338802-75774-LA19DM/LED_0__?productId=3341246
    60 lm per watt is fine with me.. 7.5 watts not a big deal. Maybe cost me $1.75 a year to run one. My SS check can take the hit.. ;)