New low cost solar lamp!

solarix
solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
Wanna see a new low cost idea for solar lighting....

http://www.maniacworld.com/Innovation-in-the-third-world.html

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New low cost solar lamp!

Great story! We in the Western World are so extremely spoiled, yet we as a society don't even realize it.
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭

That is truly amazing. Real innovation.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

interesting idea, but why would they need contributions made for putting plastic bottles into their roofs for?

technically we could wipe that for the solicitation aspect, but i think others can ask the same question i asked before they would do so.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Maybe Bleach costs money?

niel wrote: »
    interesting idea, but why would they need contributions made for putting plastic bottles into their roofs for?

technically we could wipe that for the solicitation aspect, but i think others can ask the same question i asked before they would do so.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the Emperors New Skylight

And Deck_prisms have been around for how many hundreds of years ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »

I think that the point is that the cost is virtually nil. A discarded soda bottle, a quart of water, a few minutes work, and someone's life is changed for the better. Not every idea has to make money to be a good one.
  • klrskies
    klrskies Solar Expert Posts: 30

A fine example of simple innovation. An individual resolved an issue with thoughtful implementation of available resources. This guy has installed some 600+ bottle lights in people's homes...hopefully he's negotiated some form of payment or barter for the efforts...that's a lot of work! And it looks like pretty conscientious install too. I was surprised how bright it was. Enjoyed seeing it...uplifting!

Ken
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »

I actually have one of those deck prisms. In appearance, a mixture of the two clear 3 inch hex pieces shown in the link. As a child, I found it on the seashore bordering the back yard where I grew up, near where smaller ships, sail and steam, and finally diesel used to dock on cargo runs until about 60 years ago. At first we had no idea what it was, mother suggesting it a paper weight. Then one day I learned the real purpose and it's been installed in my ceiling, up against LEDs for about 20 years. Makes a great night light, but definitely time to upgrade the LEDs, the newer ones being efficient beyond the wildest dreams of 20 years ago. Besides, white LEDs would be more realistic than the bunch of red and green dots behind it now. :D