"Indoor-type" combiner box?

Is there a standard, indoor-type breaker panel that holds Outback type DC breakers?

Or, is there another brand of breaker that's rated for nominal 72 volts DC, that fits in any standard-type indoor breaker panel? (I see that the Square D breakers only go to 48 volts.)

I bought a Square D "QO" type mini panel, having read somewhere that it would hold the Outback breakers, but there's no similarity between the two.

What I'm doing is dropping my PV wires through a 1.5" conduit from the pitched roof down through an exterior wall, and it would sure be nice to just have a combiner box right there in the wall, but I can't seem to get there from here. I did buy an Outback outdoor-type combiner box, but I want to mount something IN the wall, not on it, and have the 1.5" conduit drop right into the top of it.

What I'm left with at the moment is a standard junction box in the wall (one that has a 1.5" knockout in the top), with flexible conduit then going from it to the Outback combiner box that's surface-mounted nearby on the wall.

Clunky... ...and no, I don't want a combiner box on the roof itself, not with it being a pitched roof and having frequent rain.

Thanks,

-Ted

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: "Indoor-type" combiner box?

It is not what you asked for, but just another option.

http://home.comcast.net/~n3qik/Site/Photos.html#1

It is a home made, very cheap and will/should meet code.

The gray things are din rail mountable fuse holders I got off eBay for about $ 2.00 ea.
  • VolcanoSolar
    VolcanoSolar Solar Expert Posts: 56

Hey! This would work nicely.

Any spec to them other than "din rail mountable fuse holders" ?

Thanks,

- Ted
  • n3qik

Here is another set on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Entrelec-Din-Rail-Mount-Fuse-Holders-w-Indicator-Lot-8_W0QQitemZ200068805570QQihZ010QQcategoryZ67000QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I will look a one today for more detailed specs.

Update: unknown manufacture- 240Vac @ 6.3 A or 600Vac @ 6.3 A Max. My guess is 240V if leave in the indicator, 600V if cut it out like I did. They use the 5MM x 20MM fues.

Update 2: manufacture is ABB, part # 0115 661.21, rated 10A @ 240V. If you remove the indicator, they are good to 600V.
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

The QO type breaker box can be modified with hand tools to accept some DC style breakers. Here a picture of mine.
    http://grapesearch.com/images/solar3.jpg
    http://grapesearch.com/images/combiner2.jpg

Regards Mike
  • n3qik

Mikeo

Looks nice, but I don't think it will pass inspection with wood inside the breaker box.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Ultra High Molecular Weight Plastic might do the trick. Available form Lee Valley Tools etc

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=32045&cat=3,43576,43581

ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

INSPECTIONS? That is something we don't have to deal with in Arkansas counties. Would it possibly pass an inspection at your location if the breakers were mounted on a piece of formed sheet metal? This wouldn't be too hard to accomplish with tin snips and a shop vise and some sheet metal.
    Regards Mike
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

mike,
    if the + and - leads are going to posts secured on a metal base they may short out unless on something insulative. if your posts are of a type that are insulated as they were made that way then you can mount them straight as is. wood is insulative, but is prone to moisture and insect damage making a future short possible. now if you need an insulative mount, it was suggested to go with a plastic and i agree. something even like a piece of plexiglass may do.
  • n3qik
    mikeo wrote: »
    Would it possibly pass an inspection at your location if the breakers were mounted on a piece of formed sheet metal?
    Regards Mike

Yes, that would work.

niel- mikeo is mounting the circuit breakers to metal. His pos. bar looks to be 1" above the mounting plane.
  • VolcanoSolar
    VolcanoSolar Solar Expert Posts: 56

Right, just the fact that it was modified voids the UL listing.