Newbie with question

Options
Hi, I am looking at attempting to make my pond aeration system run off of solar power and was wondering what all would be needed to do this. I want to run the pump at night and possibly in the furture 24/7. The pump is rated at 280 watts. Other then that I dont have any more specs on the pump. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Newbie with question

The pump is 120 VAC or 12 VDC or what? Makes a difference.
    Also you're inevitably going to find that running it off the grid is way cheaper.
    280 Watts running 24 hours = 6720 Watt hours. Or about three times what I use for the whole cabin, and that system cost $8,000.

Frankly, you're looking at 560 Amp hours of battery @ 24 VDC minimum - about $2500 worth. To recharge that would take an array of approximately 2000 Watts - about $5000 worth. Not including charge controller ($600), inverter if needed ($300), plus wiring, fusing, connectors, mounting hardware.

Is it worth it? You tell me.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with Cariboocoot. (he beat me to the posting while I was typing)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree #3. Unfortunately, a lot of good, well meaning folk believe all they have to do is stick a $150.00 panel on the roof and all their electrical needs are taken care of. The almost 7 kwh/day your pump would use, is over twice what my whole house uses. It can be done, but you'd better have deep pockets. :D