New FPL Digital Meter

tonystewart
tonystewart Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
FPL replaced my old meter with a new digital meter.
Will these meters allow a small backfeed from a 350w setup on a pole. My neighbor has run this setup for 2years without FPL discovery to keep his golf cart charging affordable. I thought he should just directly charge the carts with his solar & not backfeed. Now he's worried about the new meter causing problems.
Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: New FPL Digital Meter

Mine wouldn't, it saw the Solar production as usage and it was added to the total usage. I was in a hurry and it was a couple days before they installed the net meter and the usage doubled on the old digital meter.
  • tonystewart

Thanks, I'll warn him.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on where you live and your power company.

I just got my old meter changed out for 'smart meter' FPL in Florida does netmeter system. This effectively means the meter can spin backwards (except there is no disk in new smart meter).

If you have a net negative month, meaning the meter recorded a net power push into the grid, you get to bank the pushed excess power until end of year when they zero out any banked credit.

The smartmeter has a data link. They don't have the database setup yet, but in the future you can log onto your account and see daily useage by hour.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=11692
  • tonystewart

Thanks for the info & the link, very informative