Using charge controller as voltage meter

simmtron
simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
I have a motorhome with a non working MPV-22 charge controller mounted beside the fridge. As the inputs on the circuit board on the panel side are toast, I was thinking of using the controller as a voltage meter only. I have installed the new controller 1 1/2 feet (instead of 18 feet as was installed by the solar retailer) from the batteries in a seperate compartment I would like to be able to check the voltage from inside the RV. The readout does work, and I would connect a wire directly from the batteries to the battery inputs of the charge controller with a fuse between. Does anyone know of a reason this couldn't be done? What wire size would be reccommended? It wire would be about 13 feet long. I can't see a big voltage drop as there is no current going from the charge controller.
Thanks

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Using charge controller as voltage meter

If you are sure you can absorb the constant drain from the "meter" being on, I'm fine with it. Better fuse it with 1 amp fuse, in case the rest of the controller decides to fail.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Re: Using charge controller as voltage meter

The display is a LCD display no lights, it was always ON beforeand I never saw a drain from it overnight so that should be OK. Problem is we live in Mexico now and trying to get meters at a reasonable cost is difficult.