Inside pics for XW-4024-230-50(EU)

Hi there,

I'm living Yokohama,Japan. As you may know the less energy consumption is required because of nuclear power plant explosion, and I'm going to build a battery backup system up to 4kw. The utility of Eastern Japan has a unique in the world, that is 200V split phase 50Hz power line and there's no inverter such an AC output, but if it support a split phase, XWs will be good. I think there's transformer in the inverter and if it has a center tap,it will be a chance to change to split phase output, so I would like to know the inside of XW4024 Europe version. Does anyone show me the pics?

Regards,
simaaji 縞鯵

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: Inside pics for XW-4024-230-50(EU)

You will probably need to check with Schneider/Xantrex directly.

As I understand, the XW hybrid inverters actually have 2 separate transformers internally [clarify--this is one transformer with two separate secondary windings that can be configured for series 120/240 or parallel 120 vac]. They can be wired for 240/120 VAC split phase, or 120 VAC only (at twice the current for use with 120 VAC only loads and generators).

They are also highly configurable in terms of voltage and current--so you may be able to have it reprogrammed to meet your needs (200/100 VAC 50 Hz or 100 VAC only). You will probably have less watts (i.e., you will have the same maximum current at 100 VAC vs the 120 VAC they are normally rated at)--but I cannot think of any other major issues (assuming it can be reprogrammed).

Do you know what your low line voltage (utility grid voltage) is? They may have some limitations on using the internal battery charger below 95 volt input.

The other question, are you going to have solar panels too (enough sun in your location), or is this to allow you to charge at night with utility power and use battery during the day/afternoons?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

The XW is a single doughnut center tapped transformer, its split-phase just like the utility does ( not two as BB suggests )

There is no phsyical difference between the 60hz and 50hz XW's just the software that controls them. I don't believe the lower Japan standard of 100V/200V is supported option so you would have to look else where
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

SG,

I thought I read here that the XW can be reconfigured into a 120 VAC only unit (series/parallel taps on transformer, new firmware) and even be charged with a 120 VAC only genset... (cannot find thread right at moment).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Variac: adjust the Voltage going in, adjust the Voltage coming out.

http://www.variac.com/

Note: significant loss of efficiency this way, but a fairly simple off-the-shelf solution.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Or a fixed step-up/step-down transformer, or autotransformer should be fairly common in JA.

Variacs are very neat, but they seem to add quite a lot of voltage sag vs current.

Good Luck, our thoughts and best wishes go out to you in Japan. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Solar Guppy
    BB. wrote: »
    SG,

I thought I read here that the XW can be reconfigured into a 120 VAC only unit (series/parallel taps on transformer, new firmware) and even be charged with a 120 VAC only genset... (cannot find thread right at moment).

-Bill

Yes, but its done with changing the pairing of the secondary windings, within the same core.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    SG,

-Bill

Two separate secondary 120 vac windings on the transformer that can be wired in parallel (for 120v) or series (for 240 vac split phase), along with software changes.

As to 100 vac support, if your loads can run on 120 vac when on battery power, charger and AC passthrough will work at 100 vac on ACin. You will have to change the "AC Lo Volt" default setting from its 106 vac setting to about 90 vac.

The 50 Hz is the deal breaker. I believe lowest limit is 52 Hz.
  • Solar Guppy
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    Two separate secondary 120 vac windings on the transformer that can be wired in parallel (for 120v) or series (for 240 vac split phase), along with software changes.

As to 100 vac support, if your loads can run on 120 vac when on battery power, charger and AC passthrough will work at 100 vac on ACin. You will have to change the "AC Lo Volt" default setting from its 106 vac setting to about 90 vac.

The 50 Hz is the deal breaker. I believe lowest limit is 52 Hz.

I thought the EU 50HZ unit was identical to the NA60hz box, just firmware and they just don't connect the neutral?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi

I actually downloaded an addendum, 976-0222-01-01 Rev. B issued by schneider-electric.( that is now unavailable) It descrived as 120/240V split phase NA60Hz model to 120V single phase, and shown a figure of inside pics of XW6048-120/240-60 model. Also shows a detail of PCB and slot picture from Figure 3 to 5. I can see the PCB,slot and leads(X1 to X4).

Before configured (=split phase connection) as (X1 to X1A=L1),(X2 to X2A=N),(X3 to X3A=N) and (X4 to X4A=L2),

After configured(=single phase connection) as (X1 to X1A=L1),(X2 to X2B with jumper=N),(X3 to X3B=L1) and (X4 to X4A=L2).
    If EU model XW4024 use the same PCB, it could be vice versa, I think. So I would like to see the inside of XW4024 EU model.

simaaji
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the EU 50HZ unit was identical to the NA60hz box, just firmware and they just don't connect the neutral?

Got two different rev's of op manuals.

Rev May 2007 rev A, says AC Lo setting range is 52–59 Hz, Overall spec page on same rev. manual also states 44–70 Hz (allowable) ACin range. ???

Rev Sept. 2010 rev C, says AC Lo setting range is 44-59 Hz, Overall spec page on rev C also state 44-70 Hz (allowable) ACin range.

Maybe a typo in Rev A that was corrected in later op's manuals.

So looks like it can do 50 Hz, at least for charging and passthrough. U.S. unit likely will take ACout slowly back to 120 vac @ 60 Hz when ACin goes away and inverter goes on battery supply.