generator ?s

Options
offgrid me
offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
I have a xantrex 6048 inverter set up for an off grid battery system. How should I connect my generac generator with its auto transfer switch. Should I connect the inverter output to the generac breaker panel grid in then steal the generator output and pass it through the xanterex gen in/ac2. Would this work if I manually turn on the generator as if to exercise it. I have no problems buying the auto gen start but have heard that it doesnt work with the newer generac standby units. I would love to ditch the transfer switch but it contains some of the "brains" of the generator.

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: generator ?s

Normal hook up is to tie generator output into AC2in through a breaker sized based on generator output capability. An auxiary ac breaker panel is used on output of XW to supply load that will have battery backup.

Pass through capability is 60 amps.
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

The generator needs ac in most of the time to supply the 12v battery charger and control panel in the transfer switch. It has no 12v alternator.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options
    offgrid me wrote: »
    The generator needs ac in most of the time to supply the 12v battery charger and control panel in the transfer switch. It has no 12v alternator.

I'm not familiar with your generator or inverter but...

... my generator needs ac to keep the battery charged too. I discussed this with the makers when I got it some years ago, explaining that "living off grid" means there is no ac for that . Basically, they said "too bad, so sad" even though it was heavily promoted as an ideal off-grid generator by [NAWS competitor that I've learned to never trust again because of another "recommendation" spelled BZ].

I took an extra 60w solar panel I had, bought a Steca 6a controller from NAWS, ran some wires and that panel keeps the generator batteries charged. ("batteries" because the small single battery that came with the gen was insufficient in cold weather but there was room for a second battery and I've had no problems in the years since).

Phil