Slighty crazy question

lazza
lazza Solar Expert Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Hi Forum

Something that I have been trying to puzzle out for sometime:

What would happen if you put a 230V AC source through an array of solar panels?

I dont imagine anyone has done it :D, but I am very interesting in the theoretical consequences

thanks
Larry

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Slighty crazy question
    lazza wrote: »
    Hi Forum

I dont imagine anyone has done it :D, but I am very interesting in the theoretical consequences

thanks
    Larry

That's an easy one: fried solar panels.*

Here's another: Why would anyone want to do this?

*Okay, panels rated for 600V may survive. But there's a real danger of sparks and flames if 230 VAC should be applied to a typical solar array. Even a high Voltage GT array.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Solar panels are actually just giant diodes...

So if you connect a solar panel "backwards", if you exceed 12-48 volts peak--you can over reverse bias the diodes and cause them to fail.

Connect the panel "forwards", and it will conduct lots of current. And smoke/fail (probably fail shorted if you do not burn out the metal conductors).

Connecting to AC is not done often, that I have read here--but you will be doing the forward/reverse voltage thing 50-60 times a second.

Connecting panels "forwards" to their batteries--done all the time, and virtually every person is left very unhappy with a dead solar panel.

For large arrays (with more than two parallel solar panel strings), Most panel vendors have a series protection fuse rating--This fuse is to protect the panel+wiring if there is a short circuit failure in the solar panel. Fuse is usually rated around 2xIsc (short circuit current) of the solar panel.

The series fuse/breaker/combiner box is mandatory for large solar arrays (with more than two paralleled panel connections) for safety.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Panels are a stack of cells which are diodes. If you have a panel with Voc of about 23 vdc then there is 36 cells (diodes) in series. The cathode is toward the negative size so when the positive voltage exceeds about 18 vdc the diodes will start to conduct. If you applied an AC greater then about 12.7 volts rms there will be forward conduction of the stack and the current will go up exponentially.

Assuming the stack does not have greater then 680 cells in series, applying 240 vac will blow out at least one of the cells. Greater then 700 cells in series and nothing will happen.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's another: Why would anyone want to do this?

Perhaps a hate for their neighbors who live off grid? Or perhaps a desire to see lots of fire trucks coming in at high speed with their sirens screaming and all those fancy flashing lights:confused:
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    lazza wrote: »
    Hi Forum

thanks
    Larry
    That's a "hold my beer" question if I ever heard one. ;^)
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Hey ! Nowadays there's these things called AC modules ! Just hook up one of those and it will just sell electricity back to the grid if you shine enough light on it !

boB :D
  • lazza
    lazza Solar Expert Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

:) thanks for your replies- i'll leave such experiments to mad dogs and englishmen
  • ggunn
    boB wrote: »
    Hey ! Nowadays there's these things called AC modules ! Just hook up one of those and it will just sell electricity back to the grid if you shine enough light on it !

boB :D
    Yeah, all you need to do is get some big lamps to focus light on it and you'll make more 'lectricity than you'll ever need and make money selling it back to the Electric Company! It's what they don't want you to know! Just send me $100 and I'll send you the plans to be energy independent and get rich in the process! ;^)
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

ggunn, what is your address? :-)
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • ggunn
    techntrek wrote: »
    ggunn, what is your address? :-)
    You don't need to mail me a check, just PM me your CC#. ;^)

Y'all know this is a joke, right?

Just making sure.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

CC #, expiration date and security # should be in your inbox now.

(ummm, yeah..... note the little smiley at the end of my last post.... :-) )
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • ggunn
    techntrek wrote: »
    CC #, expiration date and security # should be in your inbox now.

(ummm, yeah..... note the little smiley at the end of my last post.... :-) )
    I know that you know I am joking, I just want to be sure that Big Brother knows. ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Big Brother has no sense of humor... You have all been banned for 30 seconds.

-BB ;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    BB. wrote: »
    Big Brother has no sense of humor... You have all been banned for 30 seconds.

-BB ;)

Whew. Glad that's over! ;)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

is it over?:confused::cry::p:p:p