New Rogue MPT-3024 Now Available

I've been watching Rogue's website, and sometime over the last 48 hours the new MPT-3024 was released for ordering! Marc's got a price of $345 plus shipping on it, which seems more than fair, given the price of some of the competition.

I got my order in already. I was hoping to be number 1, but it really doesn't matter - ;^)

The manuals are available on-line as well, and it looks like he matched the thoroughness and detail of the previous manual with the new one.

I'll post a review on the simplicity (or complexity) of the installation as soon as I receive the unit and get it installed.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Rouge MPT-3024 Now Available

found the link for Rogue - hope it'n not uncool to post it, as our host does not carry them.
    manual
    http://www.roguepowertech.com/documents/MPT3024C1.pdf

wow - a 6 - stage charger ?
    60V input limit
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: New Rouge MPT-3024 Now Available

Perfectly OK.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Tumbleweeds
    Tumbleweeds Registered Users Posts: 6
    Re: New Rogue MPT-3024 Now Available

I got mine installed 5 days ago, easy install and setup, looks like a solid product inside and out. So far it has never failed to give me at least 10% boost even though my panels are hooked in parallel and my batteries are hardly ever below 12.6 volts.
    So far I'm pleased as punch.
    Tom
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Link to the product announcment -- Features:

http://www.roguepowertech.com/products/mpt3024.htm

Looks nice, now has Battery voltage sense leads (Kelvin), and an Aux output based on battery voltage set-point.

Nice Job Marc.
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Really nice and concise web page, too, I must say.
    It's really taking shape !

boB

PS.. Although the left side of that page points to this same page.

Latest News from RPT

MPT3024G2angleSM.png June 6, 2011 - Rogue Power Technologies announces the release of the 2nd Generation MPT-3024. Learn more...
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

I am in . Ordered one this weekend.

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

With a controller this sophisticated, would there be any reason to have separate battery meter with a shunt? Does this controller eliminate the need for them?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Yes--I very much believe in a separate Battery Monitor (Outback and Apollo, and others?) do offer somewhat integrated (?) battery monitors as part of their products.

A charge controller can only log power it outputs to the system--where that current goes (loads, battery, split)--The charge controller does not know.

Charge Controllers "infer" battery state of charge based on voltage, time, and controller current levels (or combinations thereof).

Placing a shunt on the battery bank and logging current*time and direction of current flow gives you a way of monitoring the battery bank itself...

More or less, like adding a gas gauge to your fuel tank on a car. You can guess how much fuel is in the tank from the last fill-up, and how fast you drove, odometer reading, etc... But a fuel gauge is an independent way of measuring fuel quantity...

A Battery Monitor logs the state of power (AH) in a battery bank by simply logging all of the Amp*Hours in (add to capacity) and Amp*Hours out (subtract from capacity).

A Battery Monitor is not 100% accurate.... there are loses inside the battery and aging effects which reduce battery capacity. So--most (all) battery monitors have a simple method to reset to 100% full (i.e., 14.5 volts for more than 1 hour or something similar) to reset to full.

Otherwise, for monitoring battery bank state of charge--you are left with voltage readings (only accurate if battery has sat for a few hours with no load or charging current), or by measuring specific gravity (not possible with a sealed battery).

With a properly setup Battery Monitor--It is easy to watch the state of your battery and have your spouse/kids/guests react to a simple plan:
    1. >75% state of charge -- All OK
    2. <75% state of charge -- Watch power usage, start genset next morning if cloudy weather/heavy loads expected
    3. <50% state of charge -- Start Genset now
    4. >85% state of charge when genset is running -- turn off genset
    5. If battery is 20% to 50% state of charge and cannot start genset or charge is not going up with genset running -- Turn off most loads, call you for help
    6. If battery is <20% state of charge -- Turn off all loads. Battery bank can be / will be damaged/ruined.
    Anyway--some suggestions I would print out and paste next the the Battery Monitor. Much easier than telling people to measure specific gravity or turn off the master switch and measure battery resting voltage in a couple hours.

Some battery monitors have programmable alarm outputs (some Xantrex and Victron models do, others may too)... Set to turn on/off genset, or use to turn on warning light/buzzer, or turn off optional loads, etc...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭

I bought the Rogue MPT-3024 after reading all the reviews and inputs here. Thanks everyone. I am VERY pleased! Although I only have 4 sets of the HF 45-watt systems running, the CC is terrific! Now, I am ready to move up to better panels. I have 4 Optima D34's in parallel connected to the CC and a 1500-watt inverter to tinker with. It is just a starter set, like tonka toys before i learned to work the big boys. You guys rock! I enjoy learning from the experts on here. Thanks.

Have a good day.
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭

Thanks everyone for all of the ongoing feedback and updates! Just wanted to add that the data converter and software are now also available, so that you can monitor and adjust the controller remotely from your PC. I'll have a remote standalone display/interface available soon, too.

Marc