Need manual for BP275UL panel

Options
Julz
Julz Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi,

I was given some panels by my brother but without any manual. I have tried looking on BP's website, sent them emails, searched through archives I found on this site, but to no avail.

Does anyone happen to have one they could copy, scan or something?

I have since passed the panels on to a friend in Brazil, and they had a little trouble with something, so they've asked me for help. More info in the NEW TO SOLAR thread...

I'd appreciate any help to get me going in the right direction!

Thank you,
Julz

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Need manual for BP275UL panel

Could not find anything about those panels--but they appear to be 75 watt with Vmp around 17 or 18 volts.

What is the question?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Julz
    Options

I am hoping that the manual will have instructions for replacing the bypass diode (if that is what has been damaged), and maybe other useful info, wiring diagram...

I have a pic of the info on the back that agrees with what you've said-
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

The manual will probably not tell you much more... If you have a junction box, you might be able to access the bypass diodes there.

A diode may fail shorted or open... if it fails open, they will probably not notice any issues.

http://www.solar-electric.com/diodes.html

If the panel has an "open blocking diode" and they are using a charge controller (or 12 volt battery bank)--Then you have the option of replacing the blocking diode or even replacing it with a length of wire.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Julz
    Options

Ok, cool. That is more info than I have gotten thus far- both on the diode and the manual.

Thank you!
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Julz wrote: »
    I am hoping that the manual will have instructions for replacing the bypass diode (if that is what has been damaged), and maybe other useful info, wiring diagram...

I have a pic of the info on the back that agrees with what you've said-
    What is it that makes you suspect a bad bypass diode? If a diode fails as a short, you'll see a major reduction in Voc. If it fails as an open, it won't affect Voc. To test a diode on the bench, you'll need a curve tracer.

On many modules, when you take the cover off the junction box the diodes are right there and easily swapped out.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I take it you had no problem finding a PDF data sheet for 'bp275'. Thats about all I've ever recieved for any of my panels. They are pretty simple, often a diode will be in the junction box, if so equiped.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Julz
    Options

As I am getting the information about what happened to the panel second hand, in a different country, with non-native English speakers, I am not certain that it is the bypass diode, or only a fuse. Apparently the panel is working "fine" right now, or maybe the other three are fine, and one is "damaged." I gave them 4 75W panels.

I did look at the pdf on a similar panel, BP 75 watt, I was hoping there was a wiring diagram of some sort that my friend could look at, compare it to the contents of the junction box, and say "aha, we need to find an XX to fix that." Things like what size or type of bypass diode would be helpful, as I know absolutely nothing about these things.

As I get more info, I will touch base here.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Link to the BP275u 4 page PDF
    Not much more info I suspect the UL on the tail has to do with the junction box as the "U" and "H" appear to.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.