Lead Crystal batteries?

Options
Les Nagy
Les Nagy Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭
I did a search and found very little in the way of anyone using lead crystal batteries. I am looking to replace my 4 year old AGM bank and see that lead crystal batteries seem to be able to take some real abuse. My problem is finding any reliable pricing on them or even any supplier in North America. I am looking to replace 48V 750AH, more or less, probably more.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Links? Prices?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Lead Crystal batteries?

Interesting:

http://leadcrystalbatteries.com/technology-lead-crystal-batteries/lead-crystal-technology-details/
    Lead Crystal® technology consists of special features

A unique micro-porous high-absorbent mat (AGM), thick plates cast from a high purity lead calcium selenium alloy (which ensure an extended life), and a SiO2 based electrolyte solution.
    [h=3]Special electrolyte composition[/h] By using a unique blending technology, Lead Crystal® is able to combine a variety of inorganic salts and organic substances to co-ordinate a combined reaction to improve the reaction ability between the electrolyte and active material on the lead plates. The electrolyte prevents the active material from becoming brittle and falling of the plates, improving the cycle life.

When charged/discharged the liquid electrolyte transforms into a crystallized state leaving hardly any free liquid electrolyte in the battery. This opens a wide range of installation applications, since the risk of electrolyte leakage is minimized. This reaction also improves the products' safety, making it less harmful to installers and users alike.

Tailored manufacturing process

Using pressure filling technology in combination with patented gravity filling containers to fill the batteries with electrolyte and a patented terminal connecting equipment. These manufacturing features ensure a much more even distribution of electrolyte in each cell further enhancing the performance of the batteries and increasing the efficiency.

These folks are out of the Netherlands.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options

The marketing turns me off. What you usually see are comparisons to flooded lead acid. These are an offshoot of AGM batteries, and when you tick the boxes when compared to agm, most all of the benefits are shared by normal agm.

The ability to go down to zero volts and survive may be useful if one abuses it without having an LVC cutoff, or perhaps wants to run lighting into the ground dimly. However, in normal use, you'll never go much past 80% DOD anyway, as by that time, the voltage is so low that the devices are either malfunctioning or self-shut off anyway.

So figure out if in the real world, going down to zero volts is really a useful feature, or something you'll never actually do in practice.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    PNjunction wrote: »
    So figure out if in the real world, going down to zero volts is really a useful feature, or something you'll never actually do in practice.

Keeping in mind that as that Voltage goes down the current for any given amount of power goes up.
    So how practical is it to produce 1kW @ 1 Volt when you're drawing 1000 Amps?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And consider what the warranty will want you to do and prove, that you did everything right.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Les Nagy
    Options

I am sure that I already posted this but it did not show up!

I received a reply from a supplier and they said that lead crystal batteries are in short supply and he offered me just some more AGMs.

The thing is that you can call it abuse when you over discharge a regular lead acid battery, but you really can't call it abuse when the lead crystal batteries are made to take it. This is like adding capacity as you can now use the batteries regularly down to something like 30% charge instead of 50% charge. and if you do need them to go to 0%, well no big deal. With lead acid, you just killed them.
  • PNjunction
    Options

Well, ok, but you can also take a standard Powersonic agm down to 30% SOC in cyclic operations and get 1500-1800 cycles out of them. Or so they say, like the LC guys do. At least in charts for us bench-racers. :)

Looking at a lead-crystal users manual from 2014, they show 1500 cycles as well down to 30% SOC. I notice that they have now included their "superiority" to gel and even agm. Lots of verbage, but no real data to show how close they really are. :)

They both have a max inrush current limit of 0.3C, so nothing different there. Same charging voltage for absorb and float.

Thing is - in the end I'm sure it works, and if I dig hard enough, *maybe* I could justify it. From a business standpoint, one wonders with the passage of so much time since their introduction, why there isn't a waiting line from the other major commercial manufacturers to obtain a license.

The real truth is whether we want to admit it or not, li-ion is where all the money / interest is these days.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check out mjlortons youtube chanel. Hes been cycle testing lead crystal batterys for the last couple of years, and found them to remarkably robust.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• BB.
    Options
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Les Nagy
    Options

Yes, I have been following his test. That is why I am interested in these.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Les Nagy wrote: »
    The thing is that you can call it abuse when you over discharge a regular lead acid battery, but you really can't call it abuse when the lead crystal batteries are made to take it. This is like adding capacity as you can now use the batteries regularly down to something like 30% charge instead of 50% charge. and if you do need them to go to 0%, well no big deal. With lead acid, you just killed them.

You didn't read my post.

Also the application must be considered. An inverter, for example, will have a LVD and turn off below a certain Voltage anyway even if the battery can go lower. Usually this level is safe enough for standard batteries.

In short they're selling on a 'feature' that really isn't one.
  • Les Nagy
    Options

Yes I did read your post. When I said 0% charge I really didn't mean 0V. Sorry that was my error for not being clear. The minimum low voltage cutoff for my XW4548 is 40V. If I ran any lead acid battery bank down to this voltage I would be looking for new batteries the next day. Discharging a 48V battery bank to 40V would be effectively a 100% discharge. With the lead crystal batteries it appears that they would just shrug this off. So one could think of this as extra reserve or capacity especially for extended cloudy periods.

My average constant load is around 400W, so at 40V I would drawing somewhere around 12A with inefficiencies taken into account.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

LVD on a 48 Volt system is usually 42 Volts and ought to be reset to 48.
    12 Amps * 40 Volts = 480 Watts, or 10 Amps @ 48 Volts. Not a big difference there.

But what is really missing is the Peukart factor: as that Voltage goes down and the current goes up the real capacity of the battery drops. So the Voltage fall off between 48 Volts and 40 Volts is quite rapid even at 10-12 Amps. How much real capacity would there be? That would be important.

Don't expect standard FLA's to be ruined by one discharge to 'dead' Voltage; any good one will come back from that. Just don't make a habit out of it! :D
  • PNjunction
    Options

I just can't find any non-trivial application that would take advantage of going down to zero volts on purpose, even if it will recover.

One can shout marketing slang around like how robust something is, but if that robustness does not fit the application, it doesn't matter. Usually this means you paid way to much for a feature you aren't using anyway.

Let's be generous and say you have taken the LC batter down to 5 volts. Would you be able to start your car? Would anything run other than a dim dome-light? :)
  • BB.
    Options

Even the lead-crystal battery during testing--The guy said the voltage appears to really start falling below ~11.5 volts/50% discharge.

Other than being very similar to AGM type batteries, is the claim that going to 0% state of charge does not hurt them. Short term testing seemed to show that fact--Long term testing is still open (from what little I have read--I.e., several year old battery).

Also, typically, while going to 0% is not good, it is when you have a "weak" cell that actually gets reversed charged (cell goes negative voltage while the other cells still have some stored energy available)... And that is a function of how well each cell in the battery is matched. If all go to 0 volts at the same time--Sort of OK. If one goes negative while the others are positive--Reverse charging will kill most any common rechargeable battery chemistry.

That is why RC model folks work so hard to build matched cell battery packs.

-Bill
  • Les Nagy
    Options

Look at it this way.The way you calculate the battery bank size is based on daily consumption, not going below 50% charge as a rule, and for having backup for 2 or 3 days without sun. Well if you live where I live, the chances of having any cloudy days are very low. So instead of worrying about 2 or 3 days without sun I could almost ignore this and calculate to a smaller bank. Then if I did get some more unexpected days without sun I would not worry. I could just run the batteries down to 20% charge, for example. Then based on that I would also need less panels because my battery bank is smaller and I would only need the panels required for the minimum 5% bulk charge rate. This could add up to considerable savings in total for a system design. I am not even sure that the lead crystal batteries need a minimum charge rate, I have not looked.

Another point. It appears that adding or changing some batteries in the bank at a later date might be possible. In a normal lead acid chemistry you shouldn't add batteries or swap in new batteries if the bank has gone through something like 50 charge cycles. I am not saying that this is a guaranteed safe thing to do but it looks much more possible.
  • kc8adu
    kc8adu Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    Options

just a variant of an electrolyte limited gel battery.remember the mention of sio2?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumed_silica
    its just slick marketing of a gel tech thats been around a very long time.
    just limit the acid to a safe amount so you dont have enough to overdischarge the plates and damage them.
  • PNjunction
    Options

I think I finally got it about lead-crystal! In fact, I will now defend it with a BIG qualification!

If my recent positive experience with lifepo4 has taught me anything, it is not to look at everything at face-value, and concentrate on figuring out if the battery will fit into your service application.

The reason we're going bananas is that lead-crystal isn't really marketed towards those who know what they are doing, or have agm's installed in systems with LVD protection. They are really marketed towards those that don't know what DOD means, and are using them in simplistic systems that allow for complete battery drain, such as toys, emergency electric hallway signs, dumb ups-systems and the like. Recovery is usually obtained by a simplistic charge system, such as a low current wall-wart, and not a smart charger that will refuse to even attempt to charge when the voltage is too low.

In other words, they really provide no additional benefit compared to standard agms for those who know what they are doing, or systems smart enough to operate properly. In that case, if lead-crystal is all that is available, then go for it. In a smart environment, you'll be paying for a feature you won't use anyway, but if cost isn't too much different, then why not.

Example: If I abuse a Powersonic, UBS, or other conventional agm down to the dregs, reviving it means putting it on a bench supply, and very slowly raising both current and voltage very slowly over the course of many hours to revive it, provided I get to it on time.

If a lead-crystal battery was installed in my Sister's kids toy, and they abused it with a total discharge, instead of bringing it back to me for revival, given enough time with the toy's own little dumb wall-wart or internal charger, the lead-crystal will come back on it's own without a nanny. Same would go for totally discharged emergency hallway lighting with simplistic chargers that don't care what voltage they may see at the battery terminals. If it were a conventional agm, I'd have to remove all the batteries from the hallway boxes, and revive each one manually. With lead-crystal, they may all recover just fine on their own with the simple internal wall warts.

So my sister's kid and the office manager might think that lead-crystal was a big improvement over standard agm, and it is - in a totally abusive environment recoving from a total drain, but I wouldn't tell them that and take all the kudos I could get for being such a battery genius for installing lead-crystal. :) Of course as we've all noted, operating below 50% DOD does not mean operating well. It may mean nothing more than a dim glow of a lighting bulb, or a weak dying buzzer on it's way to the bottom. That might be ok for toys or hallway lighting. It is certainly not something you would do with a solar setup as your inverter or other load would have already puked on the low voltage.

It is too bad that the marketing material isn't just more upfront about this - perhaps marketing should offer a "standard agm for smart environments" and an "abusive lead-cystal for dumb environments" model series and be done with it.

NOW it makes sense. Better is a relative term, but you have to look beyond face value, and marketing hype to decide.
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Options

has anyone used Powersonic battery ?
  • PNjunction
    Options

I've used plenty of power-sonics. Most of what you see is the general purpose "PSx" line. For solar, you may be more interested in the deeper cycle "PG" line, but sometimes that has to be special ordered.

Most likely you'll want to use the NB (nut and bolt) terminals rather than the spade lug F1 terminals. The corporate site has spec sheets for each battery and a very good users-manual available for download.
  • drraptor
    Options

I don't exactly remember the model number, but a 200Ah Powersonic battery was being sold for Rs 50K or USD500 here in Pakistan. Is it good enough price premium to pay for ? The Made in Pakistan FLAs 200AH cost between Rs 15K and 22K or USD150 to USD 220 including brands like EXIDE.

Wind&sun store doesn't seems to have any Power-Sonic. http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries.html
  • PNjunction
    Options

Pricing sounds about right providing you are REALLY getting them from an authorized dealer who will honor the *manufacturer's* warantee and not just some 3rd party.

Remember that the ones you see if they are the "PS" line are general purpose, and not truly deep cycle "PG" line.

In your area, HEAT while sitting around in the retail chain may be a big issue, despite their low self-discharge. High heat means you want to get these as fresh as possible. No matter what, I would not accept any battery that reads less than about 12.5v upon receipt - and that also means that you must look out for those that might try to put a little boost charge on a neglected battery knowing you are coming into the store with your multimeter. :) One guy saw me coming and did just that. Now I don't give them any warning I'm coming...

While NAWS doesn't have Powersonic, they do have the UPG batteries made by the UPGI group in the "UB" line. These are also general purpose, and would be the one's I'd choose if I was experimenting or doing a test run on my solar system in case I made a big mistake in my power calculations before moving to the more specialized brands. At least they have good docs and specs available online, which is a big plus in my book.

Still, just be aware of high-heat storage and shipping issues. Get them as fresh as you can.
  • drraptor
    Options

Thanks, next time I go for battery shopping I will take my small pocketable multimeter meter with me. Shipping can be checked by manufacturing date ?
    For heat, you need to make a wide guess e.g the shop might be aircondition but storage facility isn't.
  • Brian6
    Brian6 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    a US supplier for lead crystal batteries. http://www.solarledkits.com/lead-crystal-batteries

• CALLD
    CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Options
    Lead crystal batteries are not all they're hyped up to be. I've been tracking them for a while now and have realized they were nothing but a gel battery with a fancy name.

It was also interesting to note that they have revised their original clamor of 1400 cycles to 80% DOD to just 400 cycles before the capacity starts to decline. Only at a cycle depth of 50% or less do they compare well against regular deep cycle batteries - 1600 cycles before the decline in capacity.

There are many AGM and Gel batteries out there that have the same performance characteristics without all the larger than life marketing hype which should put anyone with half an education off.

At the asking price for lead crystal batteries id happily just fork out a little more and go with LiFePo4 which is the future of off grid batteries anyway...