Home off grid

Options
BoFuller
BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
I'm finally building our off-grid home, after two years of trying to get my permit. After some calculations, I'm planning on going with the Outback 3600Watt 48Volt system. Will 16 of the Trojan L16RE-B be sufficient? And how about 15 Kyocera 235 panels?
12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

Comments

• H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Home off grid

Are you going to run 2 different systems? I saw a 48 volt inverter and a 12 volt inverter. I started out basic and it turned into multiple systems. It would be good to know what your loads are so you could design your system around that, but when building a home it is tough to figure out what you will use. I am building mine without any grid power and it has been a challenge, but I did it on the cheap as much as I could. Sometimes I didn't run stuff that I wanted to because I would have had to run a generator, but once I got more used batteries I can run pretty much anything I want. I like the Outback VFX-3648, but this stuff creates noise, so build accordingly if it will bother you.

Panels are getting so cheap it makes a good case for buying more than you think you'll need, but most find out they want to use more power. I run an AC with no problems, even when it's cloudy. At 6200 feet you may not need AC, but heat is another subject.

You can do some searching around on here to see how to figure out your loads. A Kill-A-Watt meter is super handy, I have 2 and use them all of the time to figure out how many kwhs stuff uses.

Good luck and keep us informed,

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

I have 24 panels. I guess, in summer, 15 panels would be enough during sunny days, but only barely. And this is with our really long summer days are without air conditioning.

Every house is different. Since this is a new home you can install all the energy-efficient stuff. But still, some people can live with 2kWh a day, others would need 15. So, the very first thing is to asses loads. The biggest think, of course, will be a air conditioning. Water well may require substantial energy too. Once you know your loads, separate them into day-time, night-time and opportunity loads, then design the system around that.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    BoFuller wrote: »
    • Outback 3600Watt 48Volt system
    • 16 of the Trojan L16RE-B be sufficient?
    • 15 Kyocera 235 panels?

As North Guy says--We like to start with your known loads and then design the system.

The second choice, is start with the batteries and design the system around the batteries. then predict how the system performs.

Trojan L16RE-B batteries are 6 volt at 375 AH. The charging for such a bank assuming 5% to 13% typical rule of thumb:
    • 16x 7.25 volts charging * 375 AH * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 2,825 Watt array minimum
    • 16x 7.25 volts charging * 375 AH * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 5,649 Watt array nominal
    • 16x 7.25 volts charging * 375 AH * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 7,344 Watt array "cost effective maximum"

Using 235 Watt panels, the numbers would be (note, series/parallel connections to meet controller input requirements may require a few more panels to make viable array configuration):
    • 2,825 Watt array / 235 Watts = 12 panels
    • 5,649 Watt array / 235 Watts = 24 panels
    • 7,344 Watt array / 235 Watts = 31 panels

So, with that size battery bank, 15 panels would pretty much be the minimum recommended for a bit more than 5% rate of charge. If you plan in cycling the battery bank a lot, I would suggest more towards the 24 panel range.

From the battery bank, using rules of thumbs, the loads would look like (1-3 days of storage, 50% maximum discharge, 0.85 inverter efficiency):
    • 16 batteries * 6 volt * 375 Watts * 1/2 days * 0.50 maximum discharge * 0.85 inverter eff = 7,650 WH = 7.65 kWH per day average loads

And a flooded cell battery can output ~20 hour rate (efficiently) or 8 hour rate (maximum recommended continuous draw), or C/2.5 rate for starting surges/very short discharges (note, as battery discharges at higher rates, the apparent 375 AH per battery will appear to reduce--So you will not get 8 hours to dead, but perhaps 7 hours because of the Puerket factor):
    • 16 batteries * 6 volt * 375 Watts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/20 rate = 1,530 watt nominal average load
    • 16 batteries * 6 volt * 375 Watts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/8 rate = 3,824 watt max average load
    • 16 batteries * 6 volt * 375 Watts * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/2.5 rate = 12,240 watt max surge load

Using PV Watts for Las Vegas NV, fixed array tilted to latitude (assuming really sunny region of NW Arizona similar to LV NV):
    Month    Solar Radiation(kWh/m 2/day)
    1      5.19     
    2      5.98     
    3      6.57     
    4      7.32     
    5      7.42     
    6      7.35     
    7      7.37     
    8      7.29     
    9      7.31     
    10      6.56     
    11      5.75     
    12      5.05     
    Year      6.60      

If you pick 7.65 kWH per day as your "design point" per battery bank sizing, and toss the bottom three months of sun, we get February for 5.98 hours of sun minimum:
    • 7,650 Watt*Hours per day * 1/0.52 system efficiency * 1/5.98 hours of sun per day = 2,460 Watt array minimum
    • 2,460 Watt array / 235 watts per panel = 10.5 panels minimum

So--because of the huge amount of sun in the region (not much clouds, high/dry elevation), a 12-15 panel array would be a pretty good fit... Or looking at the output from a 15 panel array (3,525 watt array):
    • 15 * 235 Watt per panel * 0.52 system efficiency * 1/5.98 hours of sun Feb = 10,961 Watt*Hours = 11 kWH per day February (day and night loading)

Any help? Any comments?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BoFuller
    Options

Thanks guys. Yes I have done the calcs with my Kill-a-watt, and it comes out over 5k, but we want a smaller system for a couple reasons. First is cost, and the second is that we both think we Americans are way too spoiled with unlimited power. Having spent a month in the sticks of Africa, we appreciate whatever we get. We don't mind scheduling laundry for high noon and trading off on usage. If we get a bad snow storm and I can't clean off the panels for awhile (they will be on the roof of a two story home), then we will just run the genny.
    I'm not totally sold on the Outback 3648, just a starting point. I'm not convinced we need 48 volt either, so a little help on the pros and cons of 24 vs 48 would be helpful.
    The 12 volt system we currently have on the travel trailer will either stay their for guests, or I may move it to the garage, but no plans for mixing the system.
    I will have a 5 ft crawl space under our log home and planned on putting the batteries down there. To save living space I planned on mounting the system on the side of the house. Unfortunately it will be the South side, so I'll build a cabinet over it until we eventually get the porches built all the way around.
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

• BB.
    Options

Think carefully about the crawl space for batteries... Flooded cell batteries will mist electrolyte and leave a sulfur smell--Some people don't notice, some people hate it. Ventilation will help.

The second is fire danger... A shorted battery bank is not fun.

Regarding battery bank voltage. Personally, I like to recommend a single string of batteries when possible. 2-3 parallel strings would be my maximum recommendation unless you have no other options.

Each parallel string should be fused (see above: Fire dangers), but not many people do that (extra fuse/breaker per string is not cheap). Also, maintenance for parallel strings is quite a bit more. 2-3x as many cells to check, you really need a DC Current Clamp DMM to measure the current in each string (heavy loads, heavy charging). And parallel strings do have some internal positive feed back which can cause unbalanced current flow/charging (hot batteries require lower charging voltage, etc.).

Otherwise, the big reason to pick 12/24/48 volt bank (besides paralleling issues). If you have a lot of 12 or 24 volt native loads, you may have a reason to pick that voltage. If you have all native 120/240 VAC loads--Then it based on the choices of charge controllers/inverters. Higher voltage inverters tend also to have higher wattage ratings and are more expensive (and many times, have more options like networking, AC1/AC2/Autostart/etc. options, etc.).

I like to use the 1,200 watt limit for 12 volts, 2,400 watt for 24 volt systems, and over ~2,400 watts go to 48 volt battery bank. A 1,200 watt AC inverter+load needs >100 amps of DC current and a >~168 amp branch circuit+DC breaker/fuse -- That is not a small amount of copper.

Running at 48 volts cuts the current (vs 12 volts) to 1/4 on the DC side--And makes it much easier to send DC power longer distances (less copper, lower voltage drops, etc.).

And for Solar Charge Controllers, they are rated on their DC output maximum... A 60 amps charger running at 12/24/48 volts can manage:

60 amps * 59 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings = 4,597 watt array typical maximum
    60 amps * 29.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings = 2,299 watt array typical maximum
    60 amps * 14.75 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings = 1,148 volt array typical maximum

So--A higher voltage battery bank can reduce the number of solar charge controllers needed too...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm finally building our off-grid home, after two years of trying to get my permit. After some calculations, I'm planning on going with the Outback 3600Watt 48Volt system. Will 16 of the Trojan L16RE-B be sufficient? And how about 15 Kyocera 235 panels?

Yes (assuming just over 5 kWH daily loads). See Bill's math. Depending on where you live and your solar insolation, you may want more panels - especially if you want to minimize generator time. Panels are cheap these days, so load up!

I can highly recommend the Outback 3648 inverters. Dependable track record of reliability and built like a tank. Field serviceable and Outbacks tech support is unbeatable. The Outback charge controllers are good but Midnite Solar's are better IMO. They work well with the Outback inverters and Midnite Solar ePanels make wiring the system easy.
  • BoFuller
    Options

One side of my roof will be facing directly South. The pitch is going to be 6/12, so I figured I probably wouldn't have to mess with any adjustable brackets. Just secure them flat to the roof. My neighbor is telling me that I want adjustable brackets and that they should be at about 70 degrees in the winter.

Thoughts?

• BoFuller
    Options

So if I go with 48 volt and 16 batteries, that's two strings of 8, correct? And I should fuse both strings? I can do that. With 16 batteries in the crawl space (I'll put in a ventilation fan), what size opening, and how many, do I need the concrete guy to leave in the stem wall before he finishes it (for the cables going to the unit mounted outside on the wall)?

• BoFuller
    Options

Last year I bought a dozen Kyocera 235 panels. Would these
    Kyocera KD245GX-LFB 245 Watt Multicrystalline Solar Module
    be the logical choice if I'm going to get more (anywhere from 9 to 15 of them, depending on whether I stick with 15 or go for 24.)

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    One side of my roof will be facing directly South. The pitch is going to be 6/12, so I figured I probably wouldn't have to mess with any adjustable brackets. Just secure them flat to the roof. My neighbor is telling me that I want adjustable brackets and that they should be at about 70 degrees in the winter.

Thoughts?

Where is this new place going to be located? 70 degree tilt is the sort of thing we run way up North here. Certainly not optimum angle for Arizona!

Even in these extreme climes, adjusting the panels four or even two times per year proves to be a hassle. I just set mine for the Spring/Fall angle; plenty of sun in Summer and I don't use it in Winter. After years of using them I've come to the conclusion that adjustable panel mounts are more trouble than they're worth, especially with panel prices so low. Shoot for a high peak charge current and be happy with what you get is my suggestion.
  • BB.
    Options

Panel tilt is helpful for up North--And where you have significant snow fall and want the panels near vertical to keep them clear of snow.

You can play with PV Watts and see what works for you (more tilt in winter, less in summer)... This is a 70 degree tilt (from horizontal) for LV NV and fixed array:
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      5.61     
    2      5.96     
    3      5.81     
    4      5.58     
    5      4.93     
    6      4.54     
    7      4.71     
    8      5.27     
    9      6.16     
    10      6.34     
    11      6.13     
    12      5.61     
    Year      5.55      

You would get ~10% more hours of sun in the winter with 70 degree tilt. Or install at ~36 degrees with 10% more panels and never bother with tilting.

Me, I am lazy. And I worry a bit about high winds with an extreme tilt if I did not otherwise need to tilt.

Regarding more panels--If they are within ~10% or better on Vmp--Then you can connect them in parallel. If the current matches within 10% or better on Imp, then you can connect in series.

You have to look up the specs. for your current/new panels and see... Many times, the 10 watt different panels are really identical--The specs +/- specs have been tightened up and allow them to claim a few more watts. But sometimes, there is a major model change and the Vmp/Imp are quite different.

In some cases, Vmp/Imp are different enough where you have to get a second MPPT charge controller to add more panels to an existing system. Just the way the electrical works out.

-Billh
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Really think through how you will install, maintain and replace your batteries. Hanging over a hole in the floor, to check terminal torque and water levels, is not my idea of fun. I'd really suggest a outbuilding for the power system, and not your main house. Aside from the battery fumes, safety issues, and the likelihood of inverter noise, I dont see the upside.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BoFuller
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Really think through how you will install, maintain and replace your batteries. Hanging over a hole in the floor, to check terminal torque and water levels, is not my idea of fun. I'd really suggest a outbuilding for the power system, and not your main house. Aside from the battery fumes, safety issues, and the likelihood of inverter noise, I dont see the upside.

The crawl space is 5 to 6 feet deep - a mini-basement. Doorway and steps going down. It will be used for storage also, possibly for canning jars, possibly my safe. I was primarily figuring the lower temps in summer and prevention of freezing in winter. Should be a constant 50-60 degrees down there. I thought that would be ideal for batteries. Anything I build outside will range from 10 degrees in winter to 100 degrees in summer. The inverter and the rest of the system will be mounted on the outside wall of the log home. I wouldn't anticipate too much noise coming through logs that are 26 inches in diameter. I can be talked out of it, but I thought it was the ideal location.

• BoFuller
    Options
    Where is this new place going to be located? 70 degree tilt is the sort of thing we run way up North here. Certainly not optimum angle for Arizona!

Even in these extreme climes, adjusting the panels four or even two times per year proves to be a hassle. I just set mine for the Spring/Fall angle; plenty of sun in Summer and I don't use it in Winter. After years of using them I've come to the conclusion that adjustable panel mounts are more trouble than they're worth, especially with panel prices so low. Shoot for a high peak charge current and be happy with what you get is my suggestion.

Location is 400 feet from current setup - NW AZ near Seligman. 6200 feet.
    I agree with you, adjustables are more trouble than they are worth. And I also don't like them standing so tall in the wind. So I'll bump it up to 24 panels and be happy with whatever I get.

• BoFuller
    Options

"So if I go with 48 volt and 16 batteries, that's two strings of 8, correct? And I should fuse both strings? I can do that. With 16 batteries in the crawl space (I'll put in a ventilation fan), what size opening, and how many, do I need the concrete guy to leave in the stem wall before he finishes it (for the cables going to the unit mounted outside on the wall)?"

My concrete guy will be finishing the foundation in the next couple days. Any ideas on necessary holes in the block wall for cabling? Or can it run up the inside and through the logs where the inverter will be located?

• Cariboocoot
    Options

About Lat 35. So the "ideal" Winter angle is about 55 and the year-round about 30. Pretty flat either way. ;) Your 6200 feet of elevation will be a help, as it will increase the insolation significantly. Your array will probably run more than 82% efficient unlike the typical 77%.

Two strings of what capacity L16? You're looking at a minimum of about 640 Amp hours there, or 7.5kW hours capacity @ 25% DOD. Pretty good amount of power I'd say.

It is difficult to say how many or how big of holes to have without knowing what size and how many wires are going through it. Outside will be what? A shed? A box holding inverter & such? How much run between? If it's just going to be a couple of 4/0 gauge wires that's pretty easy to handle. I would definitely plan on putting some large plastic conduit in the wall just to make it neat and tidy.

Venting the space is a whole 'nother thing. You could make an isolated "battery corner" and fit a vent to it the right size to accommodate a 4" fan for example. Remember it has to be able to draw air in as well as push it out, so that's two holes for that.
  • BB.
    Options

You can also get Water Miser caps too... I believe there are even "taller caps" that may capture/retain more of the electrolyte mist (NAWS does not list those on their website--But another person here got a tall set and was very happy).

If you are going to store food and other important stuff in the semi-basement, then you probably want to wall off the battery area to keep the fumes from getting in the rest of the home.

Remember, you are going to be checking electrolyte levels, wiring, replacing a set every ~10 years, etc... So, you will want easy access to the batteries and an ability to wrestle them in/out of the installation.

-Bill
  • BoFuller
    Options
    About Lat 35. So the "ideal" Winter angle is about 55 and the year-round about 30. Pretty flat either way. ;) Your 6200 feet of elevation will be a help, as it will increase the insolation significantly. Your array will probably run more than 82% efficient unlike the typical 77%.

Two strings of what capacity L16? You're looking at a minimum of about 640 Amp hours there, or 7.5kW hours capacity @ 25% DOD. Pretty good amount of power I'd say.

It is difficult to say how many or how big of holes to have without knowing what size and how many wires are going through it. Outside will be what? A shed? A box holding inverter & such? How much run between? If it's just going to be a couple of 4/0 gauge wires that's pretty easy to handle. I would definitely plan on putting some large plastic conduit in the wall just to make it neat and tidy.

Venting the space is a whole 'nother thing. You could make an isolated "battery corner" and fit a vent to it the right size to accommodate a 4" fan for example. Remember it has to be able to draw air in as well as push it out, so that's two holes for that.

Thanks for all the help! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I get closer, but that really helps for my immediate problem.

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Boy, the idea of lugging L16s into my crawl space makes my back hurt! Perhaps consider a trap door in a closet where you can pull the door, service the batteries and more importantly, lower them on a davit or something rather than lugging the into the crawl?

Tony
  • BoFuller
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    You can also get Water Miser caps too... I believe there are even "taller caps" that may capture/retain more of the electrolyte mist (NAWS does not list those on their website--But another person here got a tall set and was very happy).

If you are going to store food and other important stuff in the semi-basement, then you probably want to wall off the battery area to keep the fumes from getting in the rest of the home.

Remember, you are going to be check electrolyte levels, wiring, replacing a set ever ~10 years, etc... So, you will want easy access to the batteries and an ability to wrestle them in/out of the installation.

-Bill

Okay, you probably talked me out of putting them down there. I'll make a box that sits on the porch.
    I am 64 now, so I don't know how many more years I'll want to be dealing with batteries down there.

• BB.
    Options
    So if I go with 48 volt and 16 batteries, that's two strings of 8, correct? And I should fuse both strings? I can do that. With 16 batteries in the crawl space (I'll put in a ventilation fan), what size opening, and how many, do I need the concrete guy to leave in the stem wall before he finishes it (for the cables going to the unit mounted outside on the wall)?

Regarding fusing per string... If you have three or more battery strings, definitely... With two strings in parallel--It is less clear that you need two fuses/breakers for the bank.

I would still suggest it though--There is nothing like having a dead short somewhere and watching the battery wires glowing red with nothing handy (ax or bolt cutters) to open the circuit.

You want the system as safe as you can design it... It will be powered 24x7 for the next 10-20+ years and you don't want something to happen (especially when people are sleeping or nobody is there).

-Bill
  • BoFuller
    Options

Good idea Bill. Thanks.

• Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yes I have done the calcs with my Kill-a-watt, and it comes out over 5k, but we want a smaller system for a couple reasons. First is cost, and the second is that we both think we Americans are way too spoiled with unlimited power. Having spent a month in the sticks of Africa, we appreciate whatever we get. We don't mind scheduling laundry for high noon and trading off on usage. If we get a bad snow storm and I can't clean off the panels for awhile (they will be on the roof of a two story home), then we will just run the genny.

Hi Bo,
    Going back to your original question about how many L16RE-B's. I know you are thinking of 16 of these to power your ~5kwh of needs, but perhaps 8 batteries are enough?

My wife and I anticipated that we'd need ~4kwh of power a day so we ordered 2000 watts of panel and 8 L16-REB's. It's perhaps a little on the low side panel-wise for most but, like you perhaps, we get a decent amount of sun year round (apart from periodic rainy periods when we need the genny in the mornings). Our REB's cycle from 90% to 60% SOC each day, with the occasional top off to 100%.

We consume an average of about 3.25Kwh/day, run a regular fridge, laundry machine, power tools, etc. But we time our power use fairly carefully (pretty simple stuff like run laundry & tools only from 11am-3pm, no fans or 'motors' at night - just the lights).

The eight RE-B's work fine for us.

16 batteries are a lot to lug around, wire up, check SG's, fill with water, and replace every 5-10 years.

If there was any change to my system that I'd like to make it'd be to add another string of panels to bring us to ~2600watts. That way we could run loads a little earlier during the morning after bulk is completed (now ~10:00am).

So, if you really desire a small system, perhaps think of 8. Your genny will help you get over the snowy or rainy days.
    Cheers,
    SP.
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • BoFuller
    Options

I like that thinking. I really think we would be okay with 8. My neighbor has 24 and tells me that it's not enough, but he doesn't want to wait for best usage time, and he also welds with his system.

• NorthGuy
    Options
    I like that thinking. I really think we would be okay with 8. My neighbor has 24 and tells me that it's not enough, but he doesn't want to wait for best usage time, and he also welds with his system.

Extra batteries will not give you extra power. Most of the time, you will get less power because you will need to spend more on absorbtion.

The only time they could be useful if when you have a cloudy period of a certain length. For example, your batteries are good for two days. If you double your batteries, you will get the third and forth days, but no further.

You really need to match batteries to your loads. If they routinely want to discharge below 50%, you have too little. If they only discharge to 90% SoC, you probably have too much.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Extra batteries will not give you extra power.

Extra batteries will certainly give you more PEAK power and if you do have large loads there will be less of a Peukert effect.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • NorthGuy
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Extra batteries will certainly give you more PEAK power and if you do have large loads there will be less of a Peukert effect.

Sure. However, except for smaller systems, peak is usually not a problem. In this case, the usage is probably 3-5 kWh/day. 220AH @ 48V batteries can support 2-3 kW of peak loads. At 3-5 kWh/day, you're unlikely to have bigger loads. If you do, it's probably better to serve them with a generator as Chris Olson does.

Voltage drop detracts from the efficiency, but even if it is 2V, it's only 4% loss on 48V system.
  • BoFuller
    Options

I was originally thinking I could take 3 years to build this home, but the County just informed me I have 9 more months. So you'all talked me out of putting the batteries in the basement. I will need to build a box for them. Any advantage to a long box with a single row of Trojan L16RE-Bs 16 batteries long? Or a wider box with 2 rows of 8 batteries? Panels will be on the South roof and the electrical box on the South wall. Will the battery box be okay sitting a couple feet away from the South wall? Too much sun? Can it sit around the corner just off the East wall?

Outback 3648
    16 L16RE-B
    24 Kyocera 245 panels

• Cariboocoot
    Options

Batteries would prefer to be on the North side away from as much heat as possible. They don't like heat. As such 'bunching them up' is probably worse than a single row. Keep them close to the inverter and remember higher Voltage is easier to send over longer wires. Better to have everything on the North side but the panels if you can.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    long box with a single row of Trojan L16RE-Bs 16 batteries long? Or a wider box with 2 rows of 8 batteries?

I'd go with a single row to water, not needing to lean over row 1 to access row 2, counts big in my book.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,