Home off grid

2»

Comments

• BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Re: Home off grid

Okay, now you got me thinking of adding a shed to the North wall at the a East end. I'm thinking I'll make it about 6 feet deep and 16 feet wide. I can house my batteries, inverter and stuff. Now, when I install my main panel , shall I leave it over on the a South wall as planned or move it to the shed ? The kitchen and bathrooms are on the South wall, hence most of our usage will be there.
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If summer sun/heat is going to be a problem--I would suggest going on the north side of your home. If you can keep the batteries below ~80F--They will have a longer life (1/2 life for every 18F increase in temperature above ~77F).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

I'm getting closer. I have a solar shed built on the North side of the house. Im just waiting to hear from the County on my solar permit. You need a permit for everything in this county. Personally I don't think it's any of their business, but ....
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)