Ultra Capacitor for input buffering

Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
Hey all. I was sitting here today thinking (too rainy to work outside) and something came to mind. Being efficiency minded one thing that grates on me is wasted energy. Yes, I know a solar array can't operate without some losses. That I understand as it's true of all systems. However, there is a little problem I've seen with some solar systems (and wind especially) that urks me a bit. Namely, lost input. For example, if a solar panel and/or wind generator is producing 100 watts at 12v for example, but the charge controller (due to the batteries) is only able to use, say 75 watts of that, the rest is lost or just tossed aside.

So rather than waste that 25-50 watts of power, what about adding an ultra capacitor based system on the head end (between the panels/generator and the controller) that regulates the flow of power going to the charge controller to the optimum level required for proper battery charging. I don't know if the controller itself would have to handle that or if a separate controller could feed power to the charge controller as it was needed, and then bank the rest in ultra capacitors for later.

My thinking here is, when there is tons of sun and lots of excess energy, bank it away for later on when, oh for example, a cloud comes over and cuts your production by up to half, or if it's a wind generator the wind dies down. I figure, why waste that energy during the peak period when you can just sorta bank it away for those times during the day when output drops below what the controller really needs to properly do its job.

I'd suggest spilling the extra energy over into a battery, but given that charge efficiencies on batteries compared to capacitors, and the fact that capacitors can more rapidly respond to change and the wild fluxuations (plus they have way more charge cycles on average than a normal battery) as well as being better able to handle large voltage swings, I'm of the opinion they'd be better to use for storing excess input to minimize waste in the system. But this is only a theory. What do you guys think about this? Also, when I'm talking about ultra capacitors, I'm talking about big beasties like this one: http://nl.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=167816066 and this one: http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/products/16v-large-modules

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Ultra Capacitor for input buffering

Uh, the charge controller regulates the flow of power for optimum battery charging. That's what it's for. That's what it does. Especially an MPPT type.

The "wasted" power is a result there being more power available from panels/wind than there is battery capacity to accept due to the SOC at any given time. This is where opportunity loads are utilized to make use of that "extra" available power.

There is no point in adding a super capacitor to the input of the charge controller, as that is not where the power loss takes place. If you want to bank that "tons of power" for use later on, you increase the battery capacity. That is what they're for.

Super caps really aren't very good or economical for storing power for this type of use.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Super/Ultra Capacitors are not worth it for the average (and even not so average) application... For example, on your first link:

Ultracapacitors 48.6V 165F @ $1,800 each. And assume that you run it between 38 volts to 48 volts:
    • Euseable = 1/2 * 165 Farad * ((48v)2 - (38v)2) = 70,950 Watt*Seconds
    • 70,950 WS * 1/60 sec per min * 1/60 min per hour = 19.7 Watt*Hours of storage
    • 19.7 WH / 48 volt bank = 0.4 AH @ 48 volt battery equivalent

I may have gotten something wrong--But I don't think so... A capacitor of this size just does not compare to very well to a typical storage battery.

You can get more useful energy out of the capacitor by draining it further--But that would mean more issues for the energy conversion device (operating over a wider input range, higher currents required at lower capacitor voltages, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

Batteries are quite good "capacitors" themselves.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Batteries are quite good "capacitors" themselves.

But they break down badly when too high a voltage is applied. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    inetdog wrote: »

So would you. :D:p
  • BB.

Flooded Cell Lead Acid batteries just "Gas" and use a bit of water (if not too much charging current). Not good for them, but they can withstand it to a degree.

Capacitors can do some spectacular stuff if hit with over voltage. The ultra cap pointed too... 48 volts working, 51 volts for one second. Not a lot of margin for error.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Uh, the charge controller regulates the flow of power for optimum battery charging. That's what it's for. That's what it does. Especially an MPPT type.

The "wasted" power is a result there being more power available from panels/wind than there is battery capacity to accept due to the SOC at any given time. This is where opportunity loads are utilized to make use of that "extra" available power.

There is no point in adding a super capacitor to the input of the charge controller, as that is not where the power loss takes place. If you want to bank that "tons of power" for use later on, you increase the battery capacity. That is what they're for.

Super caps really aren't very good or economical for storing power for this type of use.
    I agree. It's been a long time since my basic electricity classes, but I'm pretty sure that the voltage across the terminals of a capacitor is proportional to the amount of charge that's poured into it. That's as opposed to a battery, whose voltage is pretty constant over most of its state of charge. They are different animals and not necessarily interchangeable.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    I agree. It's been a long time since my basic electricity classes, but I'm pretty sure that the voltage across the terminals of a capacitor is proportional to the amount of charge that's poured into it. That's as opposed to a battery, whose voltage is pretty constant over most of its state of charge. They are different animals and not necessarily interchangeable.
    +1
    Big difference is that the effective internal resistance of ultra caps can be a lot lower than the internal resistance of a battery, particularly FLA. So very good at smoothing out current pulses, not so good for storing large amounts of energy at a relatively constant voltage.

PS: Also great for delivering awesome energy in a very short time. High power pulses.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Ultra caps make great expensive toys but for supplementing a battery bank a total waste of money.
    Maxwell caps are good. We have a bank of them at work with atotal 100,000 farads and 24v. Just the best toy available. they are mounted on a pallet then a trolly and out the front of the trolly is a nice 3/4 inch copper rod. Now if you wheel this up to a engine block and the tip of the rod gets about 1" fromitthen the discharge will take large pieces off casing off the block. al in one second.

The main problem with caps is the dramatic drop in voltage as they discharge. ie a 12v lead acid battery full about 14v half full.orhalf empty?about 12v only 2v difference. Now 12v bank caps full 14v half full/empty about 8v. Useless .

If you have excess popwer thats"wasted" get another few batteries. or bigger ones than you have.. far cheaper and will last longer.
    super caps if heavy charged and discharged every day will last you less than a year.. Our first bank of them at worl lasted less than 6 months at a replacement cost of over $120,000 . and the new ones are loosing caacity after 4 months now after heavy use..
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »

not nearly as badly as a supercap does in overvoltage ! Batteries boil and heat up, supercaps, you want to be far away...
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• islandguy
    islandguy Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    john p wrote: »
    If you have excess popwer thats"wasted" get another few batteries. or bigger ones than you have.. far cheaper and will last longer.
    super caps if heavy charged and discharged every day will last you less than a year.. Our first bank of them at worl lasted less than 6 months at a replacement cost of over $120,000 . and the new ones are loosing caacity after 4 months now after heavy use..

In reading through some of the Maxwell Specs they are claiming million charge cycles. I was thinking of getting one of their engine start modules. However in the planned application I was looking at probably four or five cycles per day.

In your experience this will result in a life span of less than a year?

Thanks.
  • BB.

You have to read the specifications closely...

They may offer a pretty good cycle life (when compared to batteries), but just "power on" life may only be a couple of years.

If you have an application were a "super cap" can give you an advantage over a battery bank--Maybe.

But otherwise, I would stay away from them. They are not very useful unless you have equipment designed around them (i.e., your 12 volt inverter that runs from 10.5 to 15 volts should run down to 5 volts or so to get the most power from a super cap).

If you run a supper cap between 13 and 14.5 volts--There is not a lot of energy you can harvest from such a small voltage range.

Batteries store energy as chemical potential as (roughly) constant voltage. Capacitors store energy a a charge potential across a plate--So you have to substantially cycle the capacitor voltage range to store/harvest enough energy to make it worth while.

Or have very speciallized needs (such as very high current spikes for fractions of a second to a few seconds).

-Bill
  • john p

Island guy why are you considering using super caps instead of a battery .?? Far greater expense compared to same capacity battery.
    They do have their uses but its not as replacements for lead acid batteries. If you looking for something that requires no maintenance go for LiFePo cells. A far cheaper alternative.
    As for lifespan of super caps its a fact they lose about 30$ capacity in first 6 months. I dont care what the manufacturers tell you..

Im going by experience using(playing ) with them .. I cant afford to buy them. We have a bank of them to "use" in the test facility Im at and that bank cost $120,000. you could buy the same lead acid capacity for a fraction of that.
  • islandguy

@john P
    I was exploring this in another thread. The application is for a 220v well pump being powered by a bank of 12v batteries. When the well pump starts up there is around a 4500 watt surge. BB walked me through the math, of course, where I came to the conclusion that this was not going to be a practical solution unless I could come up with a very large capacitor.

I was going to look at setting up a couple of maxwell's in line with some Trojan deep cycle batteries. But if I can't get better then five years out of this mix then I am better off building up the deep cycle battery bank.

Thanks for the info.

Edit to fix surge watts
  • NorthGuy
    islandguy wrote: »
    I was going to look at setting up a couple of maxwell's in line with some Trojan deep cycle batteries. But if I can't get better then five years out of this mix then I am better off building up the deep cycle battery bank.

The capacitors will not discharge below the battery voltage. Therefore, to get some energy from the capacitors, the battery voltage needs to drop significantly - that's the very thing you're trying to prevent.
  • islandguy

@Northguy
    1 volt maybe 1.5 volt drop in voltage from the bank.
    That's what BB walked me through. The capacitors were recommended to me from other AV guys based on their usage in car stereo systems. However due to the size of the battery bank in question and the high starting surge. From my clamp meter the starting surge is around 4500 watts and the running draw is around 1500 watts.

So the size of the capacitor bank that I would need to smooth out around 3000 watts of surge based on 1.5 (max) volts of current drop became impractical very quickly.

I'm still curious about using supercapacitors, but the more I look into them the fewer benefits it seems they will provide. Certainly not with any degree of economy.
  • NorthGuy
    @Northguy
    1 volt maybe 1.5 volt drop in voltage from the bank.
    That's what BB walked me through. The capacitors were recommended to me from other AV guys based on their usage in car stereo systems. However due to the size of the battery bank in question and the high starting surge. From my clamp meter the starting surge is around 4500 watts and the running draw is around 1500 watts.

So the size of the capacitor bank that I would need to smooth out around 3000 watts of surge based on 1.5 (max) volts of current drop became impractical very quickly.

I'm still curious about using supercapacitors, but the more I look into them the fewer benefits it seems they will provide. Certainly not with any degree of economy.

To drop 12V battery from 12.5V to 11V (that's your 1.5V) you need to apply a tremedious load on the battery - at least 50% of the rated capacity. If you really want to protect your battery against high loads, you're probably looking for more like 0.5V drop - from 12.5V to 12V. If you need 3000W for 3 sec it's 9000Ws. To get 9000Ws for discharge from 12.5 to 12V, you need a capacioor of about 1500F.

Even if you could afford it, connecting it to the battery would not be easy. It would suck about 2.5AH from the battery in an instant. This would probably cause very bad damage to the battery. So, you would need to pre-charge it carefully to the exact voltage before connecting. If you then disconnect it from the battery, it'll discharge through your pump and you will need to pre-charge it again. With all these troubles, the capacitor has much more chances of destroying somehing than protecting.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Capacitors constantly leak.
    Although having a low resistance, and able to take in supply charge equally the same, capacitors leak 2%~5% of that stored energy rapidly!
    Batteries leak as well but the rate is in fractions of what a capacitor leaks within minutes.
  • john p

As Northguy has pointed out connecting super caps in parallel to a lead acid battery is only going to release a fraction of the caps capacity. This is the major problem causing the huge expense.
    In reality you discharge a lead acid battery in a deep cycle situation almost to "empty". super cap in parallel about 20%

Its hard to get most people to understand to get the max capacity out of a super cap you have to fully discharge it.ie down to about 4v if its rated for 12v.

Like I have said in other posts on the subject they make a great (toy) you really can do great damage with discharging fully a 100,000 farad .

As for car audio (experts) using them to supplement the battery its mostly show not go they are getting..
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    john p wrote: »
    As for car audio (experts) using them to supplement the battery its mostly show not go they are getting..

The sad part about the car audio world, is that the people who buy them buy them because the expense is less than a secondary battery, or a much larger alternator that would/could deliver additional current.

In the initial charging of the capacitor, is taking away the charge supply to the battery, and since amplifiers are constantly drawing a high demand for electrical current it actually reduces and limits the amount of charge to the battery making the circumstances worse than before the cap was implemented.

Bigger battery, or larger alternator are the only way to go.
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭

I think the car audio guys are trying to protect the alternator as much or more than the battery. I am a garage keeper and will not warranty alternators for guys with big systems. Learned that early on.
  • Cariboocoot

Capacitors don't produce any power, they just borrow it for a while.

Batteries and alternators both produce power.
  • BB.

Also remember that audio is drawing power for fractions of a second (10's to 100's of Hz for the Bass). Capacitors can certainly help somewhat to even out those very short current spikes.

When an off grid person is talking about power--It takes seconds to start a motor or tens of minutes to run a well pump. A large capacitor is "round off error" in the amount of energy that can be supplies during this length of time.

There is the issue that a single phase inverter does not pull steady DC Current--But actually a 120 Hz (for 60 Hz power) "sine squared" wave form. So, the "float voltage" (and battery plate capacity/capacitance) needs to be "high enough" that the DC Ripple Voltage does not fall below ~12.7 volts (for a 12 volt battery) when the inverter is operating--Or you will get "micro" discharge/charge cycles which causes wear on the battery.

If you have, for example 0.5 volts of DC ripple voltage, then your float voltage should be 12.7+0.5 volts=13.2 volts minimum to avoid "micro cycling" the battery bank.

-Bill
  • NorthGuy
    BB. wrote: »
    If you have, for example 0.5 volts of DC ripple voltage, then your float voltage should be 12.7+0.5 volts=13.2 volts minimum to avoid "micro cycling" the battery bank.

If you want to get net zero energy flow during the float and it is a ripple, then there will be times when energy goes into the battery and times when it goes out.

If you rise voltage to eliminate periods where it flows out of the battery, quite substantial amount of energy will go into the battery during the peaks of the ripple. You probably do not want that.

It would be nice to have a solar charger that would counter the pattren of draw established by inverter to eliminate ripple and thus removing any current flow into or out of the battery. I don't know why they don't really do that. It's not that difficult to do.
  • islandguy

@BB and Northguy:
    What do you mean by Ripple and micro-cycling?

As far as the capacitors go I've pretty much ruled out using them on the battery bank side of things. I still think the technology is interesting so perhaps I'll come up with a use for them with the small windmills or something but for now they are impractical for storing energy in this manner.
  • BB.

Ripple--Just like the waves on a calm lake...

If you have a DC (direct current) voltage or current--Ripple is the variation in voltage or current from the the long term DC average.

If I have a battery and a 100 watt light... Switch off, battery at 12.7 volts; Switch on, battery at 12.6 volts. On/Off -- a 0.1 volt ripple voltage.

With a single phase AC inverter--Most inverters do not have enough input filter capacitors to "average out" the input DC current to a steady level.

Instead, for the peak voltage/current of their AC output wave form, they draw current directly from the battery bank. As the AC voltage (and current) falls to zero, the input DC current falls to zero--repeat 120x per second.

From this paper I just found (if a few readers can look at this paper--Seems to be a very complete article on solar power)--May be worth adding a link to(:confused:):

http://www.nmsu.edu/~tdi/PV=NEC_HTML/pv-nec/pv-nec.html
    DC Currents on Single-Phase Stand-alone Inverters

When the sinusoidal ac output current of a stand-alone inverter goes to zero 120 times per second, the input dc current also goes nearly to zero. With a resistive ac load connected to the inverter, the dc current waveform resembles a sinusoidal wave with a frequency of 120 Hz. The peak of the dc current is significantly above the average value of the current, and the lowest value of dc current is near zero.

An example of this is shown in the Figure F1. This is an example of a single-phase stand-alone inverter operating with a 4000-watt resistive load. The input battery voltage is 22 volts. The figure shows the dc current waveform. The measured average dc current is 254 amps. The RMS value of this current is 311 amps.

Attachment not found.

The problem is that a battery bank is designed to have a very stable voltage--Capacitors only "function" or pass current/energy if there is a changing voltage.

It is possible to design an AC inverter with an intermediate high(er) voltage capacitor stage to store energy--But it adds costs and complexity. If people are not willing to pay for the costs, then nobody is going to offer it.

A high voltage intermediate capacitor bank to store energy is what is done for the typical switching AC power supply. The AC voltage is rectified and stored on high voltage capacitors, and the DC output voltage/energy is derived from the capacitor bank (and not from the 120 Volt 60 Hz AC input. The AC utility grid forces power supply designers to store energy as there is only power from the grid near the peak of the AC voltage waves, and none available as the sine waves cross zero voltage.

So--You have a varying DC load (the AC inverter)... You want the battery voltage to not fall below ~12.7 volts at peak inverter draw--Because it would, very slightly, discharge the battery. And during low to zero current, the solar panels are "charging" the battery bank--Micro cycling 120x per second (with 60 Hz AC inverter).

So, you have to raise the "average" DC Voltage enough with the Float Voltage of the Battery Charger so that ripple voltage on the DC Battery Bus does not cause the battery voltage to drop into battery discharge range.

I have not researched if keeping float voltage at 13.6 volts + battery plate capacitance is "high enough" to avoid all micro cycling (i.e., is battery capacitance enough to avoid the chemical micro cycling?). But this is another reason we use the 100 AH per 1 kWatt (at 48 volt battery bank voltage)--The larger the bank, the lower the ripple voltage.

Note that the RMS current in the above example is ~1.22 times larger than the DC average current--WIth I2R heating, the ripple current is 1.222 = ~1.5x more heating... So here is an example of where DC and AC power math collide... And you need to be conservative with AC inverter wiring... And should derate the wiring by 1.22 more for the AC inverter DC input power (added on top of the 1.25 NEC derating).

With engineering, you see this "derating factor stacking" all over the place--And it sometimes becomes almost ridiculous--Wondering if all of the derating factors make sense or add up to conservative overkill... Leave that as an exercise for the student.

In this case, most people do not run their inverter systems at 100% of rated power--So and additional 1.22 derating may be overkill in most cases.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot

It is the inverse of rectifying an AC sine wave to produce DC. :D
  • islandguy

BB Good information.

However now I feel like I am going around in circles. So a capacitor is 'good' for evening out ripple?

Lets take my main house Battery bank and inverter. 10 Trojan T105's into 5 12v cells. Hooked up to a Royal Power 6K inverter/charger.

most of the time the draw is less than 200 watts, evenings it'll go up to maybe 800 watts or so. laundry and chore days figure under 3Kw.

It sounds like one of those 100F car stereo capacitors would be a good idea to smooth out the ripple effect. In that a 0.1v drop would be offset by the Cap which would then charge on the AC 0 phase?

Or is my understanding of this process wrong? Also would a cap be able to cycle 120 Charge/discharge cycles per second?

Also, what is the downside of this rippling effect?
  • NorthGuy
    It sounds like one of those 100F car stereo capacitors would be a good idea to smooth out the ripple effect.

It may exaggerate the ripple as well. When the inverter draws from the battery, capacitor gets discharged a bit. When there's a break in inverter's draw, there could be very high current from the battery to the capacitor to charge it back very quickly.

It's best left to whatever capacitor the inverter's engineer put in there.
  • BB.

Yes, the capacitor would reduce ripple voltage--And if you match the right capacitor to the job, it can help.

For reducing 120 Hz ripple current on an AC inverter, lets try some math (warning, has been many decades since school):
    • Energy = 1/2 * C * V2

Say you want to "service" a 1,200 watt load on a 12 volt battery bank with a 0.1 volt ripple...
    • 1/120 of a cycle * 1,200 Watt*Seconds = 10 Watt*Seconds
    • C = E * 2 * (V2 - V2) = 10 WS * 2 * (13.2v2 - 13.1v2) = 52.6 Farad

So, if I did this right (maybe?), Yes a 100 Farad car capacitor would reduce your ripple voltage to ~0.1 volts for a 1,200 to ~2,300 Watt AC inverter on a 12 volt battery bank.

Note--That if you wanted to store the surge power required to start a 1/3 HP well pump for 2 seconds with a 0.1 volt drop on a 12 volt battery bank--You would be looking at a capacitor ~240 times larger (~12,624 Farad) or 120 of those car capacitors.

-Bill "duck and cover" B.