RVers Get Any Tax Credits For Installing Solar?

OldManOldMan Posts: 32Registered Users ✭✭
Hey, we'll be fulltime, saving energy and a great deal of our energy use will go into the RV. Almost all of it.


  • PhotowhitPhotowhit Posts: 4,670Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think you can claim it as a residence.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, ForkLift battery. Off grid for @13 of last 14 years. 1000 watts being added to current CC, @2700 watts to be added with an additional CC.
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Posts: 3,962Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Agree as you will need an address on the tax form.

     If you think about it more, you can do whatever you want with taxes, until you get audited :'(
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
    E-mail [email protected]

  • woozywoozy Posts: 7Registered Users ✭✭
    Yes, you can. But you get to pick whether you want to be a residence or a vehicle. Being a residence  usually involves property taxes. Pick your poison. I've chosen to be a vehicle, and I park it on my property that has no zoning against it. 

    It's a bit complex, so you need to check both the IRS regs and your state law.
  • OldManOldMan Posts: 32Registered Users ✭✭
    Well, crap. I hate America.
  • jmbjmb Posts: 11Registered Users ✭✭
    Maybe you could put it up on blocks and call it a secondary residence.  Here's from the .gov site:

    "A taxpayer may claim a credit of 30% of qualified expenditures for a system that serves a dwelling unit located in the United States that is owned and used as a residence by the taxpayer. "

    Now, if your residence is a motor home parked at an RV park or campsite?
  • OldManOldMan Posts: 32Registered Users ✭✭
    Or better yet, traveling?
Sign In or Register to comment.