AC unit

Fragos
Fragos Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello everyone
I new to this site and the solar panels systems
I would like to get some feed back in how to be able to run an AC unit that requires
208/230 single phase 50A brakes
The unit is Mitsubishi Mr Slim 42000 btu
Any information would be appreciated

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Air conditioning with solar is an expensive proposition, 42000Btu is not a small unit, before getting into details, why are you considering solar and is grid power available, rationale behind this question is if grid is available solar could be used to supplement the grid, if off grid you would need to have a massive battery bank.  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017 #3
    The best place to start with any load is to measure the kwh/day.

You might look at alternative AC units that cool water.  Cold water in a large tank can eliminate almost all use of batteries (only some minimal pumping and fan power).

Super insulation and air sealing is also important.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not that expensive during the sunlight hours to do this. Completely different after sundown!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net