Using solar water heating elements for hot water

Options
Zakarume
Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
What is your opinion on using a DC solar water heater element and http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-20-Gal-6-Year-2000-Watt-Single-Element-Electric-Point-Of-Use-Water-Heater-XE20P06PU20U0/204318374. Would this work? Or would this be a bad idea? It would be used for Shower, Cooking, Cleaning and Laundry
1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If this is your only way to make hot water then I do not like your idea. It sounds like this is offgrid and even the biggest offgrid homes have to have a way to back hot water up and it usually is propane.

Solar hot water is second to me and the easiest and very reliable (most of the year).

In large PV systems a heat pump is very very good.

If you do something like what you propose make it safe as you do not want a fire or damage to equipment. The history of doing this is not one that really pays a large dividend. You can tell I am not a fan but maybe someone else will have a different perspective.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Electricity is pretty inefficient at heating things up. The toaster takes a couple minutes to do its job. Takes a few seconds over a propane stove. I can make coffee water at least twice as fast with the propane stove vs the electric. For example.

Heating hot water sounds like a battery bank destroyer to me.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Zakarume
    Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the Info.
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    May be more info coming. None of us are the final word. Just sharing personal experience and what we think...
    Zakarume wrote: »
    Thanks for the Info.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options
    Zakarume wrote: »
    What is your opinion on using a DC solar water heater element and http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-20-Gal-6-Year-2000-Watt-Single-Element-Electric-Point-Of-Use-Water-Heater-XE20P06PU20U0/204318374. Would this work? Or would this be a bad idea? It would be used for Shower, Cooking, Cleaning and Laundry

I must say I am a huge fan of diversion charge controlling and water heating - I do lots. I have a 30 gal tank and it is almost boiling often.. Many variables of course such as water usage, array size, other electrical use, etc, but you probably want to think of it has a pre-heater with another source to top finish it off and fill in the gaps. You could use the kid's aux to fire a SSR to divert power to the element. Do some searching there is quote a bit of discussion on it.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, I've been heating water with a standard 240volt heating element 3600 watt and run off 120 which equates to about 900 watts, I've taken a couple luke warm showers and one pretty darn cold one in the last 6 months. Winter,I'll use the wood stove as an emergency shower water using a 'sun shower' type bag. Kind of roughing it, but it hasn't been too bad, I get 3 warm showers on a fully heated water tank. Having a shower head with a shut off valve helps, or you can install one behind the shower head. A low flow shower head also helps.

Takes quite a while to heat water at 900 watts, I think it runs around 3 1/2 hours in summer and 5 or more in winter. It's rare for me to heat water off the battery. It's usually an opportunity load, though I turn it on in the morning so it's drawing from the battery until the sun has a pretty good angle on my 4000 watt array. I need to set this up to run as an opportunity load from the Midnite charge controllers, but I've gotten into a rut of things working as is, Likely I'll change it this fall when wiring in the extra 1000 watt into the existing charge controllers.

Water heating elements are a pure resistance load, so you can use an A/C element and run DC through it, most of the non digital thermostats will work as well, there are some old threads here on the subject. You can hunt on the web and find the rough equivilant DC load from the A/C rating, the math is basically an inverse square half the voltage yields 1/4 the wattage.... I'm sure someone with the ability to understand how the math works out will let you know, but DC elements at 400 or maybe 600 watts at 24 volts will take a long time to heat even a 20 gallon tank, You might get a 10 or 12 gallon tank with the high insulating value from Ace hardware, and be able to heat enough water for a single shower on sunny days, perhaps put in parallel with your existing hot water heater.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PV to heat water just seems like a huge waste.
    I would heat water directly with fire, Natural gas or propane. And PV only as a last resort.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I looked into this a half dozen years ago. My initial thoughts were that it just had to be good. Then after re-running the figures it looked less and less good. In the end I decided it was not worth the effort. Whether or not it might be useful for someone else may depend a lot of the size of the array, or rather how much excess is generated by said array. At home in the suburbs a roof top solar water heater does a super job at heating water. That heats water in a storage tank via a heat exchanger coil. When that is insufficient the net gas burner kicks in. In summer it hardly ever kicks in. I decided it was not worth the expense at the recreational use cabin so there we burn propane for hot water.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,502 admin
    Options
    I "hate" to say that Solar PV is no good for heating water--If it meets your needs, use it. However--You really need to estimate how much power you need to heat your water, and how much solar array and sun you will get (and how many panels you can fit on the bus). Do your paper design(s) first before buying anything.

For most people with limited space/budget, solar PV electric water heating is usually not a good path.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • LCS backwood
    LCS backwood Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree is a lot of the guys using solar for heating water it's not a good idea. Now a using a solar water heater will produce almost all the hot water you can use I would also suggest running propane RV 10 gallon water heater you can get one with a 110 element which is a backup you could feed your excess power when your batteries are fully charged to the element. Get your faucets from a RV. I have been living in RVs for years I have no problem taking a good hot shower with less hot water . An we still able to do our dishes just ideas to think about
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A PV panel has only a efficiency of about 18% -20% .
    A water solar panel has a efficiency of about 75%- 80% .
    Some of those numbers may have changed a little with time, but you get the idea which will give you more heat with less solar panel space needed.

It is all in the BTU. It takes 1 BTU to heat 1 pound of water 1 degree.
    I gallon of water = about 8.5 lbs
    1 BTU = 0.293 watt*hours [edit: -BB].

To heat a 20 gallon tank for example to 140 F with an starting temperature of 80 F will take 2,988 watt*hours.
    20 gallons X 8.5 lbs per gallon X 60 temperature difference in F X 0.293 watts per BTU =2,988 watt*hours consumed.

Let's us take it further. Photowhit mentioned a DC heat element and we use the 600 watt element for this.
    Our total wattage needs is 2,988 watt*hours. 2,988 watt*hours / by 600 watt heat element = 4.9 hrs it would take to heat those 20 gallons.
    600 watts heat element / 24 volts = 25 amps needed. A normal thermostat can not handle that much DC amps and would make a lot of smoke and puff if it would be used for it.

If you have a 1000 watt pv solar system you basically just producing 3410 BTU.
    Of course a gas heater would do way better, because it will normally put out thousands of BTU, but you have to buy gas.
    A water heater solar panel system will put out about 4 times more BTU for the same solar panel area compare to the 1000watt PV panels.

Many PV systems just throttle power back that goes into the battery after the battery is getting closer to be charged and with it potential power that would be available will not be used.
    That potential power could pre-heat your water or charge a secondary battery pack or turn attic fans on or fill water reservoirs etc etc, but that potential power is seldom used.
  • Johann
    Johann Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hope this may help.

Many people think that a water heater would be a perfect device to dump power into it. Why not use the water heater to get rid of the extra power that a wind turbine or panel produces and at the same time heat your domestic water. Why not just hook your 12 volt or 24 volt to that 220 volt heat element to generate hot water.

Let's look at the possibility of using a water heater a little closer.
    Let's also say that the heat element for that water heater is a 2000 watt heat element and it is operating at 220 volts.
    Now we have some calculations to do.

We need the amps this heat elements will use first.
    Watts divided by volts = amps. 2000W / 220V = 9.09 A amps.

Now we need the ohms this heat element has.
    Volts of heat element divided by amps of heat element = ohms of heat element. 220V /9.09A= 24.20 ohms.

Now we can calculate the wattage that 2000 watt heat element can put out or dissipate at 12 volts or 24 volts input .
    Output watt of the element = volt times volts divided by the resistance.
    At 12 volts = 12V X 12V /24.20 ohms = 5.95 watts output from that 2000 watt 220 volt heat element.
    At 24 volts = 24V x 24V /24.20 ohms = 23.80 watts output from that 2000 watt 220 volt heat element.

Lets re-check our numbers for that 2000 watt heat element and use the 220 volt it was intended for just to make sure that there was no mistake in calculating it the right way.
    Same calculation again, output watt of the element = volt times volts divided by the resistance.
    220V X 220V /24.20 ohms = 2000 watt output

Conclusion.
    The output wattage on that 2000 watt heat element does not look promising at all if you use 12 volt or 24 volt as power source for that 2000 watt 220 volt heat element and you will get only a few watts out of it or will dissipate only a few watts.
    Someone would be better off just to get a heat element with the proper voltage that is used for their system.
    In other words, get a 12 volt or 24 volt heat element and install it in your tank if your system is a 12 volt or 24 volt system to maximize your power output.