commercially reconditioned fork lift batteries?

Options
dkehn
dkehn Registered Users Posts: 5
There are a few sources for commercially reconditioned industrial batteries w/in driving distance of us. The savings would be substantial over new. Any thoughts/ experience about this (48 volt 24-85-25 1020 ah capacity $2100.00)
Can the commercial style battery connecters be used to connect to system?

Comments

• James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: commercially reconditioned fork lift batteries?

I would ask specifically what proceedures they employe to recondition. I have seen a few cases where a recondition was nothing more than a equalize charge, load test and clean-up of exterior case. I could be way off, but unless the batteries are quite new, even for a reconditioned battery, that price sounds a little high to me...or maybe I have just received some great deals in the past. I have picked up AGM batteries swapped out from the auto mfg. plants for $600.00 that were like new. I was even given the load test spec result with the purchase!
    Regarding the connections, are you talking about the Anderson type connectors that slide apart?
  • dkehn
    dkehn Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

yes the slide apart what types of reconditioning would you recommend?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dkehn wrote: »
    yes the slide apart what types of reconditioning would you recommend?

Dump upside down, rinse out sediment that shorts and kills cells, and then refill, recharge, and 3 or 4 full test cycles to verify they are working.

Armor All and terminal grease is not reconditioned.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would not recommend dumping electrolyte or turning upside down. You don't know state of sulfation and turning upside down will run the risk dumping any shed material into the separator area potentially causing shorts.

If within driving distance then get yourself a good DVM and bulb float hydrometer to measure specific gravity and cell voltages. Know how to decipher the date code pressed into case. If beyond five years old potential value is poor.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm sepaking of FACTORY reconditioning. I'm not picking up a forklift battery for any reason. (well, 1600# of reasons)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

Batteries are consumables, they will degrade with age. Furthermore they can be damaged through improper use and even if the appear to work properly after a recondition, there's no way to know how long they'll continue to work. At the price you mention, they don't seem like a substantial saving and IMO not worth taking the risk.

For double the money you could buy a brand new set with guarantee that if properly looked after will give you 15+ years of service.