MC4 connector problem

Nabiru3Nabiru3 Posts: 13Registered Users ✭✭
So I understood that the MC4 connector can only accept a wire size between (12AWG - 10AWG) but what about if I want to connect a bigger wire to my solar panel ? Do I have to manually remove the MC4 of the back of the panel (but this will void the warranty of the panels) ? So what should I do to connect my solar panels using a bigger wire?

*BTW, the wire I am talking about is the wire between the solar panel array and the charge controller.

Comments

• mcgivormcgivor Posts: 2,211Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the length and gauge required, a length of 8 gauge could be used, need 10 feet buy a 20' length and cut in half, one male one female on each. Think 8 gauge is the largest available  https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Panel-Cable-Extension-Resistant/dp/B00DY84ZUG
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery bank 

• SolarMusherSolarMusher Posts: 172Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    Connect your 10AWG panels wires to a combiner box with breakers and then you will be able to use a single and bigger cable (#8, #6, #4AWG) from the combiner box to your controller or inverter/controller panel. You won't need to use MC4 on this single wire.