Is this how much i am really supposed to get from a 5kw system?

Options
kyledsh
kyledsh Registered Users Posts: 2
So i have a 5kw grid tie system located in Quezon City, Philippines, the panels are facing west and tilted following the slope of the roof. but i dont know if i did some installation wrong that is causing me to only get this production. i just installed it the whole system myself last Feb 8,2017. Is this production just typical?
Lowest Production:
Feb 17,2017 - 6.5kwh
Feb 18,2017 - 6.8kwh
Previous Days Production:
Mar 6,2017 - 19.7kwh
Mar 7,2017 - 18.8kwh
Mar 8,2017 - 11.3kwh
Mar 9,2017 - 16.5kwh
Highest Production so far:
Feb 15,2017 - 20.9kwh
Typical Production:
10-15kwh/day
Solar System:
Solar Panels: 20-260w trina solar panels - http://static.trinasolar.com/sites/default/files/PS-M-0323%20E%20Datasheet_Allmax_US_Feb_2017_A.pdf
Inverter: Growatt 5000UE - http://www.growatt.com/html/2014/01/10/2014011010480983423919.html
I used 4mm2 pv cable that run a length of approx 25m.

Should i also use a thicker pv cable? and is the Current from the panels a little high for the inverter?

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kyledsh said:
    So i have a 5kw grid tie system located in Quezon City, Philippines, the panels are facing west and tilted following the slope of the roof. but i dont know if i did some installation wrong that is causing me to only get this production.

You are getting 3.5-4kW peak out of a 5kW system, which is reasonable.  Beyond that I see a lot of clouds and lensing effects in the plot, so the weather wasn't great.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Without going into any details electrically, the fact your panels are facing west would be a factor of low production, you are at 14.6 degrees north, so a south facing array would be optimum. Depending on the angle of the roof, your panels are probably shaded, for the first couple of hours, reaching a peak at around 11:30, afternoon harvest looks to be good. The panels being on a roof would probably be getting hot and reducing output not having air circulation, panel output would be lower than rated under normal conditions in 30C+ temperatures, perhaps around 75%, weather is another consideration, cloudy or partly cloudy will reduce production.

My 1.5KW array can produce 5+ Kw on a good day, off grid, so not optimal for maximum output reading, my latitude is 17.6 degrees north, ground array, facing south, temperature 30C+, angled 30 degrees from horizontal, very similar climate, different orientation.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • kyledsh
    kyledsh Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    I used 4mm2 pv cable that run a length of approx 25m. DCV:330V DCA:9amps. Should i use a thicker pv cable?
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kyledsh said:

I used 4mm2 pv cable that run a length of approx 25m. DCV:330V DCA:9amps. Should i use a thicker pv cable?
    4 mm is equivalent to 12 AWG, which is rated for 20A, so your cable is probably fine as long as the runs are within reason.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The max power output is about right, Normal Operating Cell Temperature (NOCT) values will be about 75% less than the name plate. In this case Trina publishes the expected output values in the 2nd graph, they expect the 260 watt panels to produce 193 watts in normal heat or (193/260=) 74% of the panel rating and you are close to the equator so you're going to be hotter than most areas.

Between that and the west facing array, it looks like reasonable numbers.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Using PV Watts for your location. 18 degree roof pitch (guess), facing west, fixed array:
    http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php
    MonthSolar Radiation
    ( kWh / m2 / day )
    January3.37
    February4.04
    March5.05
    April5.35
    May5.12
    June4.42
    July4.23
    August4.26
    September3.75
    October3.64
    November3.44
    December3.02
    Annual4.14

For March, your long term average power would be estimated to be:
    • 5,200 Watt array * 0.77 typical GT system eff * 5.05 average hours of sun per day = 20,220 WH per day = 20.2 kWH per day average
    Either you have bad weather, shading of panels (ANY SHADING of even 1 panel can cut your production upwards of 30-50%--Even just shadow from power lines across your roof), or possibly bad electrical connections or solar panel(s). If you are having clear days and closer to 10 kWH per day--It does not look right.

Can you borrow a DC Current Clamp meter? Measure the current from each array. The numbers should be very close (withing 5%-10% worse case). What is the Vmp-array and Imp-array numbers that your GT inverter are telling you in the middle of the day (high noon or so).

Any clouds over your area can reduce output by 50% pretty easily... Those valleys in your power production charts--Are those clouds or other shading events? Or was it clear and sunny all day? (unexplained valleys could be loose wiring connections--check screw terminals, poor crimps on connections, or a bad GT inverter).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset