EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

13»

Comments

• Blackcherry04Blackcherry04 Posts: 2,486Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    Re: EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

Honda dealer called this morning, 5 weeks for Repair @ No Charge. They said it was a rist pin that would freeze when the engine was hot and caused the piston to slap and allow the blow-by that would be sucked into the carb and smoke.

They replaced the piston and rings, rod and rist pin. I have some concern on why not the whole block, but I have some time to see if that becomes a issue.

To be continued.
  • SevenSeven Posts: 292Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wrist pin is what the piston floats on inside the sleeve. The piston is much softer metal than the block is so if any wear occured it would have been on the piston, not the cylinder wall. The oil rings are what keep a small disctance between the two. If anything, a quick rehone can be done on the cylinder. It has been my experience that a wrist pin issue either turns up right away(improper install) or happens after a long time due to inadequate oiling.
    Seven wrote: »
    Wrist pin is what the piston floats on inside the sleeve. The piston is much softer metal than the block is so if any wear occured it would have been on the piston, not the cylinder wall. The oil rings are what keep a small disctance between the two. If anything, a quick rehone can be done on the cylinder. It has been my experience that a wrist pin issue either turns up right away(improper install) or happens after a long time due to inadequate oiling.
    Thanks for the reply. Now I know the difference between a " Wrist "Pin and a Rist Pin. This generator had a audible slapping noise and was blowing the oil out of the crankcase with 5 hours on it, so your right on.

I did learn something with Honda's warranty operation. The mechanic calls Honda and is directed on what to check and what to test and repair. The guy told me it took 8 phone calls to reach the level of the issue and they will only pay or repair to that level.
  • SevenSeven Posts: 292Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting about the phone calls. The TechLine for automobiles is not a requirement for warranty repairs, it is more of a last ditch effort to fix something that has stumped the techs. It is used as a last resort because the effectiveness vs the time involved is too great a spread in most cases.

Had you just bought the genny, or had it been sitting for a while? It seems strange that an issue on the first day wasn't a replacement, so I'm guessing you have had it for a while.

Piston slap is a pretty easy to identify noise.
    Seven wrote: »
    That is interesting about the phone calls. The TechLine for automobiles is not a requirement for warranty repairs, it is more of a last ditch effort to fix something that has stumped the techs. It is used as a last resort because the effectiveness vs the time involved is too great a spread in most cases.

Had you just bought the genny, or had it been sitting for a while? It seems strange that an issue on the first day wasn't a replacement, so I'm guessing you have had it for a while.

Piston slap is a pretty easy to identify noise.
    I bought it back in February, but didn't use it till late June. I put dino break-in oil it, I could hear the rattle sounds after 3-4 hours, then they kind of stopped. I changed the oil at 10 hours and then it started smoking after 30 or so minutes. I pulled the crankcase breather hose off the air box and the blow-by was pumping the oil out into the intake.

At first I didn't want to believe there was a issue with it. I thought maybe the gas was old, changed it and put fresh in it. It's Honda EU 2000 and they run 10,000 hours.
  • thorsnessthorsness Posts: 35Solar Expert

Just a followup on a couple of topics: while I remain a fan of Seafoam, I may have overdone it with my EU2000i because they found what they thought was fuel hose debris in the carb and the fuel pump needed replacing. I have heard that Seafoam can degrade rubber if overused. All things in moderation.
    Next, one item added to the 'closing up the cabin' list is to drain the carb bowl on the Honda. Easy to do (Thanks for this advise guys). I do it outside and tip the generator up so the drain fitting is lowest to get all out I can. Next, try to bring two gallons of fresh gas in each trip and use that with the Honda. The snowmachines, chainsaws and weed trimmers (all two cycle engines) don't seem nearly as sensitive to ancient gasoline. Finally, it doesn't hurt to have a backup when you want to leave the batteries fully charged so they don't freeze. As I have found out, even the venerable Honda can fail and Murphy is always hanging around.
    Thanks again for all the good advice. We love our modest but very useful PV system.

JB
13»