EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

13»

Comments

• Blackcherry04Blackcherry04 Posts: 2,486Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    Re: EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

Honda dealer called this morning, 5 weeks for Repair @ No Charge. They said it was a rist pin that would freeze when the engine was hot and caused the piston to slap and allow the blow-by that would be sucked into the carb and smoke.

They replaced the piston and rings, rod and rist pin. I have some concern on why not the whole block, but I have some time to see if that becomes a issue.

To be continued.
  • SevenSeven Posts: 292Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wrist pin is what the piston floats on inside the sleeve. The piston is much softer metal than the block is so if any wear occured it would have been on the piston, not the cylinder wall. The oil rings are what keep a small disctance between the two. If anything, a quick rehone can be done on the cylinder. It has been my experience that a wrist pin issue either turns up right away(improper install) or happens after a long time due to inadequate oiling.
    Seven wrote: »
    Wrist pin is what the piston floats on inside the sleeve. The piston is much softer metal than the block is so if any wear occured it would have been on the piston, not the cylinder wall. The oil rings are what keep a small disctance between the two. If anything, a quick rehone can be done on the cylinder. It has been my experience that a wrist pin issue either turns up right away(improper install) or happens after a long time due to inadequate oiling.
    Thanks for the reply. Now I know the difference between a " Wrist "Pin and a Rist Pin. This generator had a audible slapping noise and was blowing the oil out of the crankcase with 5 hours on it, so your right on.

I did learn something with Honda's warranty operation. The mechanic calls Honda and is directed on what to check and what to test and repair. The guy told me it took 8 phone calls to reach the level of the issue and they will only pay or repair to that level.
  • SevenSeven Posts: 292Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting about the phone calls. The TechLine for automobiles is not a requirement for warranty repairs, it is more of a last ditch effort to fix something that has stumped the techs. It is used as a last resort because the effectiveness vs the time involved is too great a spread in most cases.

Had you just bought the genny, or had it been sitting for a while? It seems strange that an issue on the first day wasn't a replacement, so I'm guessing you have had it for a while.

Piston slap is a pretty easy to identify noise.
    Seven wrote: »
    That is interesting about the phone calls. The TechLine for automobiles is not a requirement for warranty repairs, it is more of a last ditch effort to fix something that has stumped the techs. It is used as a last resort because the effectiveness vs the time involved is too great a spread in most cases.

Had you just bought the genny, or had it been sitting for a while? It seems strange that an issue on the first day wasn't a replacement, so I'm guessing you have had it for a while.

Piston slap is a pretty easy to identify noise.
    I bought it back in February, but didn't use it till late June. I put dino break-in oil it, I could hear the rattle sounds after 3-4 hours, then they kind of stopped. I changed the oil at 10 hours and then it started smoking after 30 or so minutes. I pulled the crankcase breather hose off the air box and the blow-by was pumping the oil out into the intake.

At first I didn't want to believe there was a issue with it. I thought maybe the gas was old, changed it and put fresh in it. It's Honda EU 2000 and they run 10,000 hours.
  • thorsnessthorsness Posts: 51Solar Expert ✭✭✭

Just a followup on a couple of topics: while I remain a fan of Seafoam, I may have overdone it with my EU2000i because they found what they thought was fuel hose debris in the carb and the fuel pump needed replacing. I have heard that Seafoam can degrade rubber if overused. All things in moderation.
    Next, one item added to the 'closing up the cabin' list is to drain the carb bowl on the Honda. Easy to do (Thanks for this advise guys). I do it outside and tip the generator up so the drain fitting is lowest to get all out I can. Next, try to bring two gallons of fresh gas in each trip and use that with the Honda. The snowmachines, chainsaws and weed trimmers (all two cycle engines) don't seem nearly as sensitive to ancient gasoline. Finally, it doesn't hurt to have a backup when you want to leave the batteries fully charged so they don't freeze. As I have found out, even the venerable Honda can fail and Murphy is always hanging around.
    Thanks again for all the good advice. We love our modest but very useful PV system.

JB
    Followup: As you guys advised, drain the carb after each cabin visit. Try to use fresh gasoline. Every five years or so, pull and clean the carb. Good YouTube pieces on this. If I can do it, it's easy. Now and then, pull the air filter off and give it two snorts of SeaFoam until it lugs then stop and allow it to resume normal rpm's and the gray smoke disappates. Then a third until the engine kills. Let it soak for 15 minutes or so. Start and run on high setting until no gray smoke. This works well for me. Honda makes great motors. This one just seems to require a little more TLC than most.  JB
  • HumMichaelHumMichael Posts: 26Registered Users ✭✭
    edited February 22 #69
    I didn't read all comments and also sorry if someone already mentioned about this tip. When you remove the front cover, there is a white plastic connector on bottom right with two wires.  I unplug it when I know that the EU will be sitting for a while. What it does is when you turn the unit off, it runs until the carb runs dry. This with ethanol free fuel has kept mine running good.  Obviously keep it connected if you will be using it again tomorrow.
  • westbranchwestbranch Posts: 4,611Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to check that connection out next week when I am back at the lake, an EU2000i came under the tree in DEC. only have ~ 4 hrs on it so far...
    it squeezes in between the 1000i and 3000i and fills a  power / fuel economy niche... when the 1000 just won't power some things...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2079/ 2073/ 2054 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,Omnicharge 3024,
    Linksys Wet54g WiFi Bridge, ASUS RTN10 router, Hughes1100 Sat Modem
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
    You're going to love it. I run the vacum and non-battery power tools with it.  JB
  • DanS26DanS26 Posts: 214Solar Expert ✭✭
    70 posts and no one mentioned to check or replace the in line fuel filter.   Clogged or semi-clogged fuel filter will cause the exact symptoms experienced by the OP and should be the first thing checked before going off on less likely culprits.
    18.2kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED System monitoring with PVOutput.org
    Dan,

Please remind us where it is and how to access it.
    Thanks.

JB
    thorsness said:
    Dan,

Please remind us where it is and how to access it.
    Thanks.

JB

Maybe this will help.......

18.2kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED System monitoring with PVOutput.org
    Don't feel like the lone ranger.......I had a Subaru engine that had one of those hidden in line fuel filters.   It took me nine months to find out why that engine was surging.

I eliminated that PITA filter and replaced it with a normal visible filter.
    Sure did not know that. Thanks Dan.

JB
    I wonder how many thousands of these Japanese designed engines are in the landfills right now because of these hidden fuel filters.  
  • Mat_SuMat_Su Posts: 1Registered Users
    Regarding stale fuel problems, If you can find some 100LL Avgas (local airport) use it for long term storage of any 4 stroke internal combustion engine.  It does not go stale as auto fuel does. I use it for ice augers and snow machines in the summer, lawn mowers and weed whackers in the winter etc.
  • SusidoSusido Posts: 30Registered Users ✭✭
    19 years of use combined for my two EU2000 generators and I never knew there was a fuel filter in them... Cleaned them recently (only one was particularly dirty) and they start better now though I didn't have too much of a problem before. I have also never cleaned or needed to clean the carbs on either one, praise be our non-ethanol gasoline.
    Seasonally off-grid ... 468 Ahrs @ 48V (8 Rolls S-605 6v FLA batteries),  24 x 130watt panels, Midnite Classic 150, Whizbang Jr., Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger, 2 x Honda eu2000i generators paralleled.

13»