MIT produces 120% efficient solar cell!

Options
Skyko
Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pretty neat idea. They actually get the cell to operate at a sub-nano level in three parallel universes thus turning a normall 40% efficient cell into a 120% light gathering beast.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: MIT produces 120% efficient solar cell!

first there's no link.
    second if we are talking about efficiency in collection then it is impossible to exceed 100%. now there may be a few cells that may be in the area of that 40% efficiency mark, but tell me how it is that if one gets say 900w of power impinging upon a square meter of panel that it can in turn make that into 120% higher or 1080w? watts out can never equal or exceed watts in. either this is a pure hoax, was misinterpreted, or twisted out of context, but as you put it, it just is not so.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Uh, Niel ... This is what we call an "April Fool's Joke".

The clues;
    1). Today's date
    2). Efficiency exceeding 100%
    3). Use of the term "parallel universes"

Not fond of such jokes myself. Nothing to do with it being our middle daughter's birthday today either (really).
  • niel
    Options

ok, if it's a joke i got caught in it.:p
  • Skyko
    Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry Niel, but it was all in good fun! ;)

I thought for sure the parallel universes was too much, but I couldn't think of another easy way to get greater than unity gain.
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think this arrangement would be stealing energy from the parallel universes which could lead to interdimensional conflict.
  • niel
    Options
    newenergy wrote: »
    I think this arrangement would be stealing energy from the parallel universes which could lead to interdimensional conflict.

now that's opening a can of wormholes.:cry::roll::p
  • Horus
    Horus Registered Users Posts: 24
    Options

No he's right. I'm actually from the parallel universe he speaks of. I also represent the United Sates of Canada's energy panel, and would like compensation for the 20% of power you are staling from us. Please send the cheque to the abandoned building on the corner. I will send out a probe to collect. Much thanks!
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

Hate to tell you Horus but there is a 200% tax on that so please make prompt payment to prevent legal procedures from starting! The tax man cometh!
  • Horus
    Options

Actually in my parallel universe, we abolished taxes. We barter now, so 20% of that power means dude owes me 3 chickens and a goat. And it better be a nice goat! :D
  • niel
    Options

taxation does not just mean money as your requirement of the 3 chickens and the goat was the original method of taxing before money was invented as any possession or asset was good to pay taxes with.
  • Horus
    Options

yea, but you get the joke
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

As long as it is not Hogan's goat!;)