Is it necessary to fuse between panel and controller?

Options
John XW NY
John XW NY Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
Dear Guys,

I have a question regarding whether it is necessary to put a fuse between the solar panel and the charge controller? I am using one 120 watt panel which is rated up to 29 volts , which is conected to a WellSee Mppt 20 amp controller. It is to power a Sundanzer 12volt freezer with L16 type battery. I have fused everything else should i also put one between the panel and controller in case of power surge or lightning strike etc? It is cheap enough to do so maybe its a good idea. Any Input on that idea?? Thanks John

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Is it necessary to fuse between panel and controller?

Fuses are always a good idea for protecting a circuit, but in this case it is not strictly necessary. You can put two panels in parallel on a charge controller before fusing becomes 'mandatory'.

Fuses aren't lightning protection, and that is a whole 'nother area of discussion/argument.

BTW, one 120 Watt panel isn't going to do much. Especially not towards charging a 12V bank of L16's which are 325-370 Amp/hrs. That's barely enough panel to produce 10 Amps under ideal conditions.
  • John XW NY
    John XW NY Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Coot,

Thanks 4 the advice but i think it may be a good idea anyway. The battery im using is only 185 ah Trojan 12 volts. The WellSee Mppt apears to be working well and considering what i paid for it i am kinda impressed so far. Ive only had it 3 days but seems to be working effectively keeping a good charge on the battery.
    Well See how it goes LOL.

Jah Guide I and I. John XW NY
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to hear it's working for you so far. But remember there's more to charging a battery than just replacing the 'used' Amp/hrs. That part is fairly simple and can be done with almost any amount of power over the bank's self-discharge rate over any period of time. I'd be concerned about creating enough 'activity' in the cells to retard sulphation and keep the electrolyte mixed.

And yes, fuses are good! :D It's important to have them between the CC and batteries too.