Reflection off the water

Options
tabbycat
tabbycat Solar Expert Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
Given how intense the sun can be when you are on the water has anyone experimented with tilting a solar panel towards the water to take advantage of reflected sunlight? Thanks. Steve S.

Comments

• stevend
    stevend Solar Expert Posts: 34
    Options
    Re: Reflection off the water

I haven't experimented with this but reflection from other sources (water, snow and clouds) is a common thing to include in calculations. That's part of why we add an extra 25% when sizing the fuses and wiring coming from the solar array and the amperage the charge controller will have to be able to handle.
    -Steve
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

Energy from the sun will always be stronger than reflections. There was a solar experiment where they used mirrors to concentrate the sun onto panels. Panels got so hot they turned mud brown..
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Aiming panels at the water instead of the the best sun angle would result in a net loss. that said, if you have a choice between a location that has water/snow reflection over one that doesn't,, choose the water/snow.

I am right on the water, and I would guess that on average I get ~5% more in the summer because of the water, and maybe a bit more in the winter from snow (coupled with colder temps).

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

aim for the sun, but if there are any reflections hitting the pvs as well as the sun then the pvs will show an increase in output current and this increase could go above the 1000w/m^2 current rating of the pv. if the reflections or concentrations are too good, such as in using a mirror or a lens, then you will overheat the pv and could take away some of its useful lifespan if it doesn't outrightly destroy the pv. most naturally occurring reflections should be ok and that includes a lake.