generator

Options
bcolebuild
bcolebuild Registered Users Posts: 10
Hey everyone, im building an earthship with a 420watt system and it sounds like i need a small generator, i was looking at some 800watt two stroke ones for 150 bucks to run a cement mixer but came to the conclusion that a 15amp 120v cement mixer will pull 1800watts? and that ill need a larger genny, is that right?

also my inverter isnt made to charge my bat bank, so can i just hook up a 12 car charger to my 12 v bat system?

thanks for your time and info, i a newbie

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: generator

First,

Get a good genny and charger to start. Automotive chargers are not well suited to PV batteries. I suggest that you read the following :

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Second, I wouldn't buy some two stroke monster. Polluting, noisy and not very efficient. I also wouldn't buy a cheapy Briggs and stratton/coleman type genny. Consider a Honda eu series, either eu 1000 or eu 2000. Two of either can be plugged in together to double the output so you can run a 20 amp charger on one eu 1000, but you can plug to together to power shop tools for example. You can find them used for ~$3-500. New for $800.

Finally, a motor load might draw many times more than it's name plate current. I can almost guarantee that an 800 watt gennie won't start a cement mixer motor load! An 800 watt genny might put out ~6- amps, with some surge, but a 15 amp motor will kill it, probably kill a 1200 watt gennie as well. Just for example, I have a small bench grinder, probably draws 3 amps running, but I can't run it on the Eu 1000 as the starting load is too great. It will run on that gennie, but won't start. It has trouble starting on my 1500 watt honda. Starts fine on 2800 Mitsubishi.

Look into either a Iota or Xantrex charger. I personally prefer the older Xantrex True charge chargers, but they are no longer available. The newer series seems to have some problems. (Ask our site sponsor ) Iota's have a great reputation as well.

My final piece of advice as you are going forward with this, is spend as much time as you can/have to to learn all you can BEFORE you buy anything. In other words, avoid the ready fire aim syndrome.

Too many people jump in to the deep end convinced they know what they need, or have what they need, only to discover that for any of a number of reasons parts don't play well with others, or they are somehow inadequate. Doing your home work leads to a better performing, cheaper system in the long run.

T
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

Good thinking, I second Icarus. I like the Honda eu2000i & eu3000i gens .... 1800 watts will take either the 3000 or two 2000 paralleled. A 2000 watt generator won't handle the starting load. Yamaha makes some good inverter units too.

By all means; stay away from Coleman, generac ... loud, gas guzzlers, short lived. (POS) If you do buy one, you will learn to hate it!

Buy an inverter unit and you will learn to love it!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

The Honda is an excellent generator, but ... They are expensive.
    Around here you can buy 6 'clunkers' for what one Honda of the same output costs.
    Long-term, the Honda inverter series is a worthwhile investment. But for just getting some massive Wattage for running power tools while building, maybe look for a cheaper unit. You may not need the heavy output after it's all built, and then a EU1000 might be enough.
  • icarus
    Options

'coot,

I agree that buying a big, loud, clunker gennie for construction may be a good idea. That said, depending on what you have to spend quality eventually pays. In my case I have consistently down sized from a 5 kw l diesel to mostly using the eu 1000. Probably my most versatile genny is the 2900 watt Mitsubishi, quiet, lots of power, fairly fuel efficient, and as a construction gennie it's great. Runs a couple of saws at the same time.

That said, one Eu 1000 will run a sawzall, or a good size angle grinder, drills etc, so unless I need a lot of saw work the 1000 will do almost all of it. I fire up the Mitsu for the table saw and the planer. The the Eu will run the 20 amp Xantrex charger on idle, burning nearly no fuel.

If you are going to build a building, go rent a good construction gennie from a commercial rental agency for a couple of months, (like an auto idle Robin powered gennie ~3500-5kw) Then buy the proper gennie for the long term. One size may not fit all so to speak.

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Tony, I agree. I've got the Honda 1000, the 2000, a B&S 5kW unit (noisy, sucks fuel, burns oil - it's had it) and a massive old Onan 3kW. The Hondas do most of the gen work. Nothing like battery powered tools, eh? Saves a ton of gasoline.

But every now and then ...
    The big 5kW had to be started last fall to pre-heat my son-in-laws diesel one cold morning. If the old 4Runner hadn't just been destroyed this wouldn't have been necessary! :cry:

I'm thinking of replacing the B&S engine with a Honda 360. One of the million projects I've yet to look into. :p
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are going to build a building, go rent a good construction gennie from a commercial rental agency for a couple of months, (like an auto idle Robin powered gennie ~3500-5kw) Then buy the proper gennie for the long term. One size may not fit all so to speak.

Tony[/QUOTE]
    If he was going to need the bigger generator for construction, wouldn,t it be cheaper to buy it? When he was done if he no longer wanted or needed it he could resell it. S:Dlarvic
  • icarus
    Options

I wouldn't know what cheaper. What I am trying to impress is the right tool for the right job. Buying quality is almost never a bad idea. Rent/buy a construction gennie, then sell/trade for a different one to live with. (I have found that rental agencies are often good sources for good used stuff like gennies.) Craig's list, E-bay, Kijiji are another good source.

Tony
  • bcolebuild
    bcolebuild Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options

thanks for all the info, but im still just trying make sure that i get the right size genny, cement mixer 120v x 15 amp = 1800 watt with a surge of 3000- 3500? 4000-5000watt gen is what need?
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

I don't think 5,000 is any too large .. Even that may give you problems on cold mornings or with a full load of "dirt".

Now here is a thought: rent a 5000 for a day .. if that works then buy .. if not rent larger for a day...