here we go

Options
jdair101
jdair101 Registered Users Posts: 5
Here it is in a nut shell. Found out about the feed in tarif (grid tie) just a few weeks ago in ontario canada being at .802 cents per kw and figured it was a good deal over the20 years contract with OPA.
I did have a small 300watt hobby system 12 years ago but could not convince myself it was worth the investment to go b*lls to the wall. (untill now)

4000 to 5000watts mounted on my homes roof is my project size.

I have talked to 3 installers to date and have narrowed it down to 2.

#1---- has been in the business for at least 5 years and has many systems under his belt and supplied many references. He has access to 240 watt sharp (thats the panel I want) and will use either the foronius or xantrex inverter.
#2----I'm not to sure about time in business ( I will be his first install in Ontario) and has access to only the 235watt sharps. and I have a choice of xantrex, foronius, or enphase inverters. (I like the idea of the enphase because I can clean snow off the panals that are accessible and still make power)
Here is the questions keeping in mind the price for both is about the same.
#1 or#2
who wins??????????? and why???????

Thanks so much in advance.
This is important to me that I have input from people that have gone thru this.

Comments

• audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: here we go

I vote #1; reason 1st his track record, 2nd he has the panels you want!

If #2 has a track record elsewhere and can give references then maybe? Each province has it's own unique rules. Work in B.C. may not equate to work in Ontario!

I understand your reasons for enphase but watch out for monitoring fees and the bandwidth necessary for Internet. Not saying don't, just saying be aware.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

to add to this the enphase don't make the panels more accessible for cleaning anymore than using xantrex or fronius. i think between fronius and xantrex that i'd pick xantrex citing some problems some fronius installs have had.
  • jdair101
    Options

Thanks for the replies guys.
    niel----I was not refering to ease of getting snow off the panel but if I can only reach some of the panels will the voltage be high enough in the string to start the charging when using the xantrex or fronius inverters????
    audredger----I am a bit concerened about #2 because of his lack of references even though he seems to me to be the most knowlegable.
    I spoke to an other system owner today that is using the enphase inverter and the fee (as he has stated) is only$25.00 a year. Thats not to bad I think. What I don't understand is the bandwidth???? Can you explane that to me?

Thanks again
    Jim
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm not too sure what it is you mean about needing to reach the pvs. are you meaning being able to mount more?
    that would depend on the inverter type used as to the number of pvs used. i am assuming this to be grid tied regardless. if it's a lower voltage type that utilizes batteries then fewer pvs may be used, but most straight gt inverters will need more pvs to bring the voltage high enough for proper operation. if you go to the store link on the top of the forum you can click on the different types of inverters and review their requirements. there are also programs that address various scenarios with differing inverters, pvs, insolations from various locations, and temps involved to fine tune a system. pv watts is one of them and i don't have the link handy, but you can find it in the links area of the forum.
    for just a few pvs you could use the enphase inverters, but to grow into a system i might not choose to use more enphases.
  • audredger
    Options

Bandwidth is a measure of data sent or received .... some providers have a limit on usage.

If #2 can't give any references, that is a big RED flag! I might look for #3 or #4...
  • jdair101
    Options

I am going to meet with #1 tomorrow and go with 22 sharp 240 watt panels and the xantrex 5000 watt inverter.
    Now I need to find out what is best for data logging.
    What is everyone using and why???

Thanks
    Jim
  • audredger
    Options

I'm clueless there ... I use a pencil paper and meter LOL
  • jdair101
    Options

Process has begun. Signed the deal with the contract installer today. Now we just have to wait for the OPA to approve my micro-fit application and all will be great.
    First I need to remove my 3 Enerworks solar thermal panels from the roof so I can get the south side of the roof re shingled. We will need to relocate 2 bathroom vents and one stink pipe vent.
    The project will allow for 22 240watt sharp panels to be mounted on the west end of the south roof then shoe horn 2 of the thermal panels on the east end. It will be tight but it will fit. My installer indicated that the Xantrex GT 5.0 may be in short supply in Ontario due to the OPA program but he is going to do everything he can to get one.
    My power supplier has indicated that they will come and change out the single meter base with a dual base to allow for metering back to the grid at no charge due to this being a 20 year contract with the OPA. They have taken to the program in a positive way and will do what they can to help in the whole process.
    In my prior post I indicated about snow removal in the winter time being a problem but I will make due by building a platform to stand on then reach what I can with a roof rack.
    So far this has been exciting but we will see as time goes by
  • dsp3930
    dsp3930 Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which Xantrex 5000 watt inverter are you referring to?
    XW series models are: 4024 (24v), 4548 (48v), and 6048 (48v) ....

I am assuming you are going with the 6048 -- as the price difference is very minor.
    They run $2900 or so vs $2500-$2800 for the smaller units.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dsp3930 wrote: »
    Which Xantrex 5000 watt inverter are you referring to?
    XW series models are: 4024 (24v), 4548 (48v), and 6048 (48v) ....

I am assuming you are going with the 6048 -- as the price difference is very minor.
    They run $2900 or so vs $2500-$2800 for the smaller units.

He is going GTI , not XW. They do have a GT 5.0 . S:Dlarvic