powering up my swimming pool

tomN
tomN Registered Users Posts: 7
i have been given a 10,000 gallon above ground swimming pool with a 115 volt,12 amp motor with pump. i am trying to figure out the best way and cheapest way to supply power for this as i have only 1 outlet on the outside of my house and my power dist. panel is maxed out. i believe it would probably best to go with an 2000 watt or 2500 watt invertor,but i don't know how may solar panels i would need or what size, and battery bank . i know there is a work sheet out there,could use some help with this.

Comments

• peterako
    peterako Solar Expert Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Re: powering up my swimming pool

Hi there,
    First i am not sure if a 2500w inverter will start this pump, keep in mind that a motor to start needs 3 to 5 times its running current.:roll:
    So only if the inverter has as well extra cap. it will start there you see the differenc between the cheap and expensive inverters.

second because you have power close by think about another solution by using a freq. contoller for your pump running at day time at slow speed basic filtering and at night by timer at full speed when the house loading is low on this way your house power panel will not be over loaded.

Then you can use solar panels and a gridinverter to off set your energy cost and or use solar water panels to heat the pool.

In order to inform about panels and battery size we need to know where the pool is to calculate the solar panels and battery. also we need to know about any extra loading like lights.

Greetings from Greece8)
  • tomN

the pool will be on the south side of my house and the nearest source of a/c power will be from a 50'extension cord . i had tolocate this way due to large oak trees in my yard.i have already cut one down for this project. by the way i am not planning on heating the pool but run the filtering pump. the sun usually warms the water sufficiently here. seatemp usually gets to the upper 70's and sometimes in the mid 80's here.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it would be far cheaper to upgrade your electrical needs than to use solar, batteries, and an inverter.
  • Rolo
    Rolo Registered Users Posts: 11

Who is the manufacturer of the pool? Also what is the horsepower of the pump and what type and size of filter do you have?

I am trying to determine the quality of the pool and equipment to see if it is worth the effort.

Doug
  • tomN

as it stands now i would have to replace my main power distribution panel to allow more space for breakers and i would have to install a subpanel and run an outlet to near the pump. what would i need to run the pump motor off the grid ? as of now i haven't purchased any thing as of yet.
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    tomN wrote: »
    what would i need to run the pump motor off the grid ?

First I must ask, are you looking into powering your pool pump with solar because you find solar power interesting and fun, and are looking for a do-it-yourself project to get into? Or you are simply looking for cheapest and easiest way to run your pool? Solar option will cost more than upgrading your power panel. The absolute cheapest price for DIY solar will be $1500 just for solar panels. I did not include cost of inverter, batteries in the price because there is a way to avoid having to use those in your application.
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    as it stands now i would have to replace my main power distribution panel to allow more space for breakers and i would have to install a subpanel and run an outlet to near the pump. what would i need to run the pump motor off the grid ? as of now i haven't purchased any thing as of yet.
    That would still be cheaper than solar!

Some Guesstimates: 115 v @ 12 amps for 12 hours = 16,560 watt hours. 48 volt battery bank with 1 day backup, Montgomery, AL, 5.1 hrs sun

Battery Bank; 1,141 amp hrs = 12 CR395 batteries @ $285 ea. = $3,420
    2 60 amp Charge Controllers @ $529 = $1,058
    22 200 watt solar panels @ ~$3.00 / watt = $13,200
    Inverter 4000 watt = ~$3,000

Sub Total $20,678

Plus: wire, fuses, panel racks, electrical boxes, +,+,+
    And every 5-7 years another bank of batteries @ $3,500

Does that help?
  • Rolo
    Rolo Registered Users Posts: 11

Since you couldn't provide the hp of the pump I will assume it is a 1.5 to 2 hp pump. On that size of aboveground pool you could get away with a 3/4hp (600 watts) pump just fine. If you plan to add in a solar panel I would increase the size of the pump to 1 hp if a solar panel for heating the pool is being mounted above the pool surface. The panel could also be layed out on a wood frame ground level and you would not have to go to a 1hp pump. Solar panel weighs about 150 lb when filled with water.

This would reduce your requirements somewhat.

Also you can get by by running your filtration for 8 to 12 hours per day. It will depend on bather load.

Doug
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    tomN wrote: »

Why couldn,t you put a cheater breaker in your power panel? When I bought my new doublewide about 4 years ago it came with 3 of them already in it from the factory. A cheater breaker fits in the same space as a single breaker and has 2 circuit breakers in it. I just got one at Home depot last week. paid about 10 dollars for it, Probably too much as home depot is overpriced. S:Dlarvic
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Well there always is the possibility of a DC powered pump
    http://www.dependablesolarproducts.com/poolpumpspecs.shtml

It seems that for 5 - 220 watt panels might power this 1hp unit. They offer turn key kits as a well but that seems a bit pricey and not well defined as to the components they are using.
  • Kefalonianman
    Kefalonianman Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭✭✭
    Revswimmingbpool pump

Can someone point me in the right direction

I have just completed my solar array and now I have to solve the pool pump, at the moment it is running independently on 3 phase not linked to the solar system,and it is a 2.8kw pump (serious electric sucker)

Can anyone suggest which kind of pump I should go for, I have single phase in the pool house but do not want to have to run new cables from house to pool house I.e a dc line.

Sizing the pump is not a problem but I want to reduce the kw I am using to make it more viable for my solar system to supply it, at the moment I am producing 9kw a day in three weeks this will double to 18kw and as it's a holiday home usage is very small so I have enough spare to handle the pool.

Many thanks in advance
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

URL not found is what I get every time I try your link

solar_dave wrote: »
    Well there always is the possibility of a DC powered pump
    http://www.dependablesolarproducts.com/poolpumpspecs.shtml

It seems that for 5 - 220 watt panels might power this 1hp unit. They offer turn key kits as a well but that seems a bit pricey and not well defined as to the components they are using.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    URL not found is what I get every time I try your link

http://www.sunrayus.com/ from a google search for solar pool pump