Refrigerator Choice, 24v or 120V Energy Star?

Options
CVN-71
CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
I'm planing to replace the 30 yr old beer fridge in my garage. It's an energy hog for sure. I was wondering, what would be more efficient, a 24vdc model that draws 40w and runs 25% at 60 degrees, or a energy star 120v refer. I can't seem to find power requirement for the 120v model. I would run the the 24v model off the 24v battery bank, and the 120v model off the inverter. Another issue is the 24v model is 3 times more expensive than the 120v model. So is the cost benefit really worth it?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Refrigerator Choice, 24v or 120V Energy Star?

Just using some back of the envelope estimates... Using this SunDanzer PDF data sheet, 90F (Energy Star seems to use this value for their ratings) and looking below 68F, your Energy Star Refrigerator should use roughly 0.6x its E.S. rating in the garage.

If you are really interested in saving power, you may look at a chest freezer conversion (using a refrigerator range thermostat in a freezer) instead... A ~7cuft conversion may use 0.25 kWH per day.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why would you run a fridge off a battery bank, if you have (I assume) grid power available. Regardless of the basic fridge efficiency, by the time you calculate in the charging efficiencies of batteries and charges (solar and grid) the 24 vdc is surely less efficient over all I would guess.

Since the 24 vdc model is 3 times more expensive to buy, why not spend twice the money and get the very best conventional fridge you can?

Tony

PS If we could get rid of all the old beer fridges in basements and garages in N. America, the energy savings would be staggering. Other side of the case is, do folks really need a beer fridge, when they could put in a 2 day supply into the house fridge at any given time?
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    PS If we could get rid of all the old beer fridges in basements and garages in N. America, the energy savings would be staggering. Other side of the case is, do folks really need a beer fridge, when they could put in a 2 day supply into the house fridge at any given time?
    It would take a reefer truck to store a two day supply of beer for some of the game parties around here!
  • CVN-71
    Options

Also, keep in mind we have to have a large stash in case of raised taxes and beer ends up costing $20 a 6-pack like it does in Canada. We'll need that supply to last a few yrs.:D

Seriously though, we use our beer fridges for a lot of extra stuff that doesn't fit into the house fridge, buckets of frozen margaritas, etc. It is a most valuable appliance.

I found a 24v marine model fridge that also runs off 120v, very stingy on power, holds 110 cans ;) but also a nice energy star that only costs $250.

(i trimmed your post to try and minimize the political aspects you had in it. niel)
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How about we respect the site rules and keep the overt politics out of the discussion.

Icarus
  • porkfarm
    porkfarm Registered Users Posts: 19
    Options

Watch the whole "Energy Star" thing. They can twist the test big time.. I have to shut the ice maker off in my fridge to get the rating that was on the door when I bought it.
    1KW a day to run 2KW with ice maker. Energy Star was done with ice maker off, but they don't tell you that. Plus the dang thing runs 24X7, never shuts off. the one time I thought it was shutting off, it was using the most power for a defrost of some kind.

Love the kill a watt meter..
  • CVN-71
    Options

That's why I kind of liked the 24v model which had a low cycle time. It also will run on 120v, I'm assuming low cycle on that as well. I'll have to check closely the ES models. Short of putting a killawat meter on it, where can I get an accurate power consumption?
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

Yes, by all means watch the energy star! To earn the energy star, a manufacturer only has to meet a minimum standard. The can do all sorts of tricks to get it. Last years energy star may not meet this years standards but, once they achieve it, they got it for life! By all means look at the specs not just the star.