DEKA Maintenance Saver Industrial and Xantrex XW settings

aj164
aj164 Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
I have a Xantrex XW 6048 and 1034A-H of Deka FLA "maintenance saver" industrial forklift-style batteries. (They are sold as 'solar', but are essentially the forklift batteries.)

We're doing OK with the generic FLA battery program in the XW inverter and charge controllers, but I'm wondering if we could do better with custom settings. These are lead-antimony plates, and the specific gravity at full charge is a bit lower than other types of FLA batteries.

With custom settings, I'm hoping to accomplish two things:
1) A more accurate battery meter on the XW System Control Panel.
2) A better charging profile and less chance of overcharging.

Also, once we get this figured out, I would like to have the settings preserved in this thread for others to reference.

Thanks,
AJ

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: DEKA Maintenance Saver Industrial and Xantrex XW settings

You probably want to watch the specific gravity very closely and play with the absorb times... Forklift batteries have a higher self discharge rate than other types and so it is possible that as the batteries get old, that they could get into the 1-2% per day self discharge.

That, and watch your water levels. Too little water use (under charging) or too much (over charging) signify something needs to be improved with your charging/power usage.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    I have a Xantrex XW 6048 and 1034A-H of Deka FLA "maintenance saver" industrial forklift-style batteries

I would simply call DEKA support and ask for the charging parameters. They have always been helpful to me with my battery charging questions
  • aj164

This is the advice I received from DEKA:

(Batteries are 6-M100-23. 6 cell FLA lead-antimony, 1304A-H @ 20hr rate, four batteries in series for 48V nominal)

(PV array is 7.6kW -- no grid on site)

Bulk current max: 20% of 6 hour rate
    Absorption: 2.4 - 2.45 vpc
    Float: 2.3-2.35vpc
    Equalize: 2.5 - 2.55vpc

Time in absorption should be 3-4 hours, not the 2 hours default XW setting. However, there is no specific recommended interval from engineering. "The required time in absorption changes as the battery ages and depending on how it is used."

"Float charging will not hurt these batteries."
    "There is not a better battery anywhere."
    "These batteries are meant to be worked."
  • aj164

One more thing:

The Deka guidelines read "temperature coefficient: .005mV/ deg C". This is per cell, so 24 cells would be .120mV. I'm assuming this must be a typo, because .005mV is not much and not what I'm used to seeing for FLA batteries. I think they meant ".005 V/ deg C", which would be 120mV for 24 cells.

Also, I think there should be a minus in front of the number. Charging voltage normally should decrease with increasing temperature.