Sun Electronics 12/24 vdc refrigerator/freezer

Options
James
James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
Hi folks,
Has anyone purchased and used a Sun Electronics BC-258 12/24 vdc refrigerator/freezer?

I came across it while searching for a 12 vdc combo unit for my friends off-grid cabin.
Any info? Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Sun Electronics 12/24 vdc refrigerator/freezer

It looks like an 8 cuft chest freezer, rated as:
    • VOLUME(L):258
    • INPUT POWER(W):85
    • POWER CONSUMPTION (kw.h/24h):1.35
    • REFRIGERANT:R600a/75g
    • TEMPERATURE(W):-18
    • NET WEIGHT(KG):110LB
    • SIZE(L*W*H inch):27"x50"x36"

It is rated at 1.35 kWhrs per day or 493 kWhrs per year...

To be fair--I don't know if that power usage is rated at 0F and 70F ambient or 0F and 90F ambient.

For the price--it does not appear to be a bad for a 12volt "solar" fridge/freezer.

But my old / cheap 13 cuft front door opening freezer Energy Star (manual defrost) is listed around 365 kWhrs per year on its yellow tag (and it does use less based on my kWhr measurements).

The equivalent sized Sundancer "off-grid" fridge/freezers are almost 2x as expensive. The 8 cuft refrigerator seems to use 198 WH per day (32F / 90F ambient)--which is how Energy Star Ratings seem to be defined. Or 72 kWhrs per year...

The Sundancer does look to be be more energy efficient--needing less solar panels and batteries. And you don't need an inverter (vs a normal 120 VAC fridge)... But--the cost for just the fridge/freezer could pay for a lot of solar panels, batteries, and an inverter to make up for the difference...

Make a spread sheet that costs out the various options. You might want to add a used RV propane refrigerator to that list too (especially if you are not full-time 9+ months out of the year).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Sun Electronics 12/24 vdc refrigerator/freezer
    BB. wrote: »
    It looks like an 8 cuft chest freezer, rated as:

It is rated at 1.35 kWhrs per day or 493 kWhrs per year...

To be fair--I don't know if that power usage is rated at 0F and 70F ambient or 0F and 90F ambient.

For the price--it does not appear to be a bad for a 12volt "solar" fridge/freezer.

But my old / cheap 13 cuft front door opening freezer Energy Star (manual defrost) is listed around 365 kWhrs per year on its yellow tag (and it does use less based on my kWhr measurements).

The equivalent sized Sundancer "off-grid" fridge/freezers are almost 2x as expensive. The 8 cuft refrigerator seems to use 198 WH per day (32F / 90F ambient)--which is how Energy Star Ratings seem to be defined. Or 72 kWhrs per year...

The Sundancer does look to be be more energy efficient--needing less solar panels and batteries. And you don't need an inverter (vs a normal 120 VAC fridge)... But--the cost for just the fridge/freezer could pay for a lot of solar panels, batteries, and an inverter to make up for the difference...

Make a spread sheet that costs out the various options. You might want to add a used RV propane refrigerator to that list too (especially if you are not full-time 9+ months out of the year).

-Bill

It's 258L big chest freezer ,and the power already reduced around 60W
    and they have 138L one just have 48w power