Looking 4 feedback from anybody with AGM batteris that they have recapped / recovered

ajbelcher
ajbelcher Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭
I have read the Dapdan thread on the IOVR+ process - ventured to the website read their documents to support their methods. I would like to hear from people with real-world experiences with this or other processes. I am interested in the ease / difficulties with the process - How have the batteries held up? Especially interested in how much life someone may have gotten from older AGM batteries that they then used this process on. Am hoping with more information that I can find more of these batteries new homes instead of them ending up being disposed of.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Looking 4 feedback from anybody with AGM batteris that they have recapped / recov

By the way, this is the thread that "ajbelcher" is asking about (methods to restore AGM bank function/capacity).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Looking 4 feedback from anybody with AGM batteris that they have recapped / recov

AJ, I inquired about getting some of the caps and the fellow I talked to , over a period of some weeks, would not sell me any... "Waste of your money" he said, "Batteries are too old" 13 yrs old at the time..

Another reason was some slight Pos Plate swelling indications. However I have added some distilled/deionized water and I did notice some slight improvement so far.

I felt , still do, that it would be a good experiment...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ajbelcher

Thanks for your input - It just seems like such a shame to dispose - let alone the enviromental impact if being done illegally or improperly - litterally see hundreds of batteries available monthly but in the 8-10 yr range almost never cycled just float charged for that time - technically should have plenty of life left to them at tremendous cost savings - am still looking for some batteries for you :)

AJ
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

AJ, btw, the new set will be 'recapped' asap...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hey West, how ya doin?

AJ, you seem to be looking at a business possiblity and you should. I would insist that they do still have some life in them. Maybe if you are successful at recovering a bank you can load test and sell them at a discounted rate with some info on the actual real world tested capacity so the buyer knows what he is getting. These cell cost thousand of dollars for one module (3 cells) that is why Peter Demars has a company that goes around rejuevenating these large cells for commercial and industrial businesses.

I can say that after a year of experiment with my batteries I am more than happy with the results given the time I have spent rejueventating them. It has been a worth while experience and you should try it.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • ajbelcher

Expanding a business is the goal - Already Liquidate the Telcomm rooms - the batteries are a byproduct if less than 5 yrs old can readily sell them back into the industrial sector - after that though residential / offgrid aplications are the only people willing to take a gamble - and unfortunately the number of batteries available far exceeds the demand of the people willing to try an older battery it may even exceed the entire offgrid industry. Then the cost of moving these batteries to another location to rejuvenate and test becomes another factor - That is why I have been looking into the process and results itself - May be willing to sell batteries with a kit and directions and a guarantee that the batteries will be in good physical condition - not abused or beyond rejuvenation - even replacement cells if not up to certain standards. Thanks for your feedback

AJ
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hey AJ,

I wish lived in the states then I would be interested in some of those cells. I have been looking for another set for the past six months without success.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • ajbelcher

Perhaps myself and a couple very heavy suitcases could go on vacation :)