? About New Battery Bank

Options
tcvb
tcvb Solar Expert Posts: 44
I am in the process of putting my small PV System together,i currently have 4 6V Golf Cart Batteries 2 in series then parralled two each other for 12v.420 amh.

I havent put my panels up yet the question i have is should i leave my Iota 55 amp charger on 24/7 to keep this bank up till i get my Panels up and running oer should i maybe put it on a timer?

Thank's

Tim

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: ? About New Battery Bank

i think it depends on whether you are putting loads onto the batteries yet or not. if no loads then maybe once a week or so put the bank on charge to keep it up to snuff. if you have loads on the batteries then it goes without saying that you have to replace whatever you've taken out. i seem to recall reading somebody saying in one thread that the controller card does load the battery somewhat when the charger is off so it may be a good idea to disconnect it from the batteries with a switch or some other means when the iota is off.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

The Iota (without the IQ4 board) has two settings... One that is basically "charge" (around 14.4 volts). And the other "float" (around 13.6 volts or so)... If I recall correctly, put the jumper in--it charges. Pop the jumper out it floats.

If you have the jumper out and it is set to float--you can let the Iota/Battery sit for years that way on AC power.

Personally, I have some "cheap" wall wart battery trickle chargers (1 amp)... And for a couple vehicles that sit for long periods of time, I just put them on a lamp timer and set it for 1 hour per day to "charge" the batteries... Sort of like 1 full day of charging every 24. So far, has worked very well.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

bb,
    so what jumper do you do when the iota is turned off?:p without the controller portion on it does the iota then still allow a backdraw?