? About Pole Mount's

Options
tcvb
tcvb Solar Expert Posts: 44
Been looking at some pole Mount's the Iron ridge type.

Going to mount three Kyocera 135's on it.

Which of these would be the best for this application?

IronRidge TP/04 Universal Top of Pole Mount or

IronRidge SP/03 Universal Side of Pole Mount, also can you use schedule 40 aluminum pipe instead of steel?

Thank's

Tim

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: ? About Pole Mount's

My personal druthers are to a pole mount that allows for directional adjustment to maximize sunlight capture when needed. ie a pole mount that 'swivels'.
    My idea is to use a car wheel bearing setup, cheap and durable.
    HTH
    EJ

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

I would go with top of pole.. here is mine http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/audredger/Solar/DSCN0011.jpg
  • tcvb
    Options
    audredger wrote: »
    I would go with top of pole.. here is mine http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v468/audredger/Solar/

Could not view it?
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

Go with a top of pole, and we do NOT recommend aluminum or plastic - only iron or steel. (Iron can be brittle and it is possible to break it if the top clamp is over-tightened). Something like Schedule 80 aluminum would work, but probably horribly expensive.
  • tcvb
    Options

OK I will change my order with :

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun

Thank's

Tim
  • bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Options

Just to add, I have the IronRidge 2 panel mount and now will have to buy c-channel to increase to 3-4 panels. IronRidge won't sell the c-channel separate of the pole mount. I'm certainly not going to buy a new mount.

So, I would buy the 4 panel top of pole mount so that you can expand to 4 panels down the road if you wish. I wish I had!

Tim
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bobdog wrote: »
    Just to add, I have the IronRidge 2 panel mount and now will have to buy c-channel to increase to 3-4 panels. IronRidge won't sell the c-channel separate of the pole mount. I'm certainly not going to buy a new mount.

So, I would buy the 4 panel top of pole mount so that you can expand to 4 panels down the road if you wish. I wish I had!

Tim

This is either because they don't want you to over-load the pole mount by adding more panels than it was designed to take or else they're greedy and want to sell you separate mounts even though the original could take more. Look at the mount specs to find out which it is.
  • bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Options
    This is either because they don't want you to over-load the pole mount by adding more panels than it was designed to take or else they're greedy and want to sell you separate mounts even though the original could take more. Look at the mount specs to find out which it is.

The mount is the same, just the c-channels are longer so it is the latter hypothesis....
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Options

The "C" channel on mine are Unistrut, get at any home depot or large electrical supply. They also make "T" nuts to bolt stuf to the open side of the C.