Solar pinic bench

Options
Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hey guys,

what do you all think of my solar pinic bench. I decided to have some fun with some extra panels. I plan to install a box underneath to carry some batteries, inverter and charge controller. It will partly run anything you use during a pinic and mostly run exterior security lighting in my large back yard.

Cheers...
Damani

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar pinic bench

fancy combiner boxes...;)

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

leg room may be somewhat cramped with the batteries down there. build that box well as many feet will kick and rest upon it.
    do take the stress off of the wires from hanging and dress it with a metal covering or conduit to help protect it.
  • Dapdan
    Options

guys,

work still in progress. I only started the roof structure yesterday and finished this morning. I plan to run all wiring in trunking with associated weather proof boxes. As for the box for the equipment it will be on the bottom and to the right away from kicking feet. It will be vertically built with the inverter on the top in a separate vented compartment. The battery compartment will be vented too. It will be top with bitumen fabric that you burn on for water proffing.

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • niel
    Options

hey no problem. maybe you should've expanded the shade area by putting more pvs up there.:D:cool::cool::cool:
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Better anchor that thing down good , a stiff breeze will flip it over for sure
  • niel
    Options

good point and where he is, it is not impossible for hurricanes so i would think along the lines of being able to do something with the pvs in a quick manner.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

where is the rest of the table top...:D but good job, it will proved shade, power and protection from bird droppings while you/yall eat. Very nice... :cool:
  • Dapdan
    Options

yes, I have to install two more planks for the middle of the table. I built it from scraps of wood from finished uobs. So I am waiting for the next set of wood. None of the wood was bought for that particular purpose.

In terms of storm events, the panels are held down to the 3x4 joist using stainless stell screws and wing nuts and split rings. I can remove both panels in under 3mins. As for the shaded area I did think of using 3 of the 200w panels (each panel is 3ft x 5.5ft) for more shade area but it meant that I would need longer beams that I didnt have. As for it fliping... the two panels combine to weight about 90lbs and the table and roof structure weight about 150lbs. I do plan on anchoring the table down anways using a cast in place metal strap screwed onto the legs of the bench. That would also ensure that it does not get up and walk away as well :).

Cheers...
    Damani
  • RWB
    RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your project reminds me of this I put on our blog recently, except yours was made for less than 14,000 dollars LOL http://powerenz-blog.com/?p=87