inverter connections

higgins
higgins Solar Expert Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 2000kw modified inverter and on the back there are two red connectors one marked 'red' and the other -,and the black connectors marked 'black' and the other -,it comes with two sets of cables and also a plug at the other end.
My question is which connectors do i use for the battery supply and would the unused one be for charging when the mains plug is connected?Also can the mains plug be charging from the inverters output mains socket or would i have to plug into a domestic mains socket?Any help on generally setting the inverter up properly or how they are usually wired would be appreciated thanks,
Higgins

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Re: inverter connections

I assume it is a 2,000 Watt inverter (not kW or kilo-Watt or 1,000 x Watts)...

Do you have a model name/number? Link to a manual?

I am not understanding your question/suggested setup clearly enough to really make any comments other than don't connect anything until you are sure of the proper configuration.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • higgins

yes sorry BB,it is a 2000 watt,and i seem to have lost the manual for it.
  • BB.

Do you have a name and model number? The Internet sometimes stores some surprising stuff.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • higgins

Just looked and all i can find on the inverter is Neilson 2 in 1 2000 watt,no other details,thanks,
    Higgins
  • BB.

From Ebay:

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neilsen 2in1 2000w Power inverter for running any electrical appliance (up to a massive 2000w) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Inverter and charger with automatic switch [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DC Input 12v [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ac output and input 240v [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leave plugged in to a 240v outlet and the battery will be charged and 240v output is given direct from the mains at the same time. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If 240v is un-plugged then the auto switch gives 240v inverted from 12v battery automatically [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2000 watts of continuous power [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Full input and output protection [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Automatic thermal shut down [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overload protection [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extra surge capacity [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Low battery alarm/shut off [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Auto restart function [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Built in cooling fan [/FONT]
    I don't know--it appears that they may have given you two power cables to run in parallel (two black, two red) to hand the full load of the inverter.
    • 2,000 watts * 1/10.5 min volts * 1/0.80 eff = 238 amps at full load
    That is a lot of current and one cable set is probably not heavy enough wire to carry that current (two may be questionable too--I cannot tell).

If you run at less than full power (say 1,000 watts), then the maximum current (for your reduced load) will be less too.

-Bill
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

1% voltage drop
    10' run
    238 amps
    24hr / day

4/0 cable

Not an ureasonable size cable but, that would take a Huge battery bank!
  • higgins

i probably will only use it for small loads in the beginning till i know more,my battery bank will be comprised of a couple of 110 amp batteries in parallel 12 v configuration,didn't realise i would have to start calculating wire sizes!The only reason i have an oversized inverter for my needs is because i expect once i have obtained bigger solar panels and larger batteries then i don't need to upgrade this one for a while,would my solar charge controller need to be changed to handle the inverters draw if it was 50 % of full load(charge controller is 10 amps)?
    Thanks Higgins
  • BB.

Charge controller current is based on how many watts of solar panels you have and the battery bank voltage...

The inverter draw does not affect charge controller current limits (other than as you you larger inverters and loads, you need more solar panels and more/larger charge controllers to recharge the battery bank because of the larger loads).

-Bill
  • higgins

Some pics of inverter;
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    Why two connections for red and two for black on the back?
    Higgins.
  • BB.

The inverter requires a lot of 12 volt current--they appear to be using paralleled wires to carry the current.

Attach the two black to the battery negative terminal. And attach the two red to the battery positive terminal (should be protected by fuse or circuit breaker against shorts, and can be a handy switch to turn off the inverter when not in use).

-Bill
  • higgins

Thanks Bill,so in effect both wires would share the draw current?Why didn't they just use one thick cable,also what fuse rating should i put in there?
    Higgins.
  • BB.

Cheapness. And smaller gauge cables are easier to route/manage.

Normally, the fuse is sized to the cables--I cannot tell what size/gauge/sq.mm they are--so I cannot tell you from that side of the equation (remember fuses/breakers are to protect wiring from catch/setting fire).

From the inverter side of the equation, the minimum sized fuse/breaker for full load would be:
    • 2,000 watts * 1/10.5 volts battery dead * 1/0.80 efficiency * 1.25 cable safety factor = 298 amps minimum fuse/cable rating
    Round up to 300 amps...

As you can see--that is some pretty heavy current... You can refer to this chart for recommended wire size vs current rating... I don't know metric wire designation so you need to look at the chart and see which best describes the cables you have (in pair, so they can handle ~2x the current per single wire).

-Bill