Resistance Values of RTS/BTSs ?

Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭
Would like to know the R values and curve slope (ie NTC or PTC) for Xantrex BTS and OB RTS. Yes, I could measure them, but I am not where they are.

Would like to experiment with subbing a Morningstar flag terminal bolt-on BTS for OB/Xantrex if they are compatible, as am getting a couple of degree error in Vcomp, especially on the X unit. This is in a well-insulated bat box, where the BTSes have insulation over the top of them, as well. I have no thermocouple temp probe, or IR non-contact thermometer.

Just another stupid question. Thanks Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Re: Resistance Values of RTS/BTSs ?

If memory serves correctly the OB is different then the Xantrex but I can not help you with the values.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

They are not the same, not sure which type of RTD each one uses, but they are not mix and match.
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

Where have you positioned you RTS ?
    After reading somewhere a different opinion that positioning them on the + bat term was an option, I tried it (rolls 25ps) I found the poles will heat a lot faster than the bat internals on high charge rates, back to halfway down the side :cry: It lag`s behind a little, but if it`s that much of a problem , just take 0.2v off the charge voltage ?

Have a good one
    Tim
  • Vic

OK thanks for the info. My BTSes are on the OUTSIDE case of the battery (midway from the top in the center of the bank) under 1" of insulation inside a well-insulated battery box. And Blackswan I had not even considered placing the BTS inside the outer battery case, as you noted in another thread -- may try this.

I am not sure that the slope of the curve of the X BTS is correct -- it seems to be more than 2 degrees off at greater deviations from 25 degrees C.

I had not thought about the effect of terminal heating on a terminal-mounted BTS at high currents, although, do not do much hi rate discharge or charge.

OK Thanks for the info .. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

I put mine inside the outer case, about half way down stuck to the cell, The lids will pull off reasonable easily, just break the silicon seal round bat posts and lift, you need thin arms or long pliers :D then re-seal the posts, If heat is your concern,place RTS on hottest cell, middle of bank, Cold, coldest place, outside / end of bank

Have a good one
    Tim
  • Vic

Yes, I had all of the covers off the bats when they arrived to retorque the cell-to-cell bolts. Could have done it then.

Had thought that the outer case temp would be very close to the core temp in the insulated bat box, as the thermal mass is so great. Seemed that the rate of change would be very slow, so the case temp would track very closely, but i do need to do some more measurements.

OK Thanks all for the info. Vic
  • Vic

AND, just snagged an XWCC -- Xantrex MPPT CC. These come with an RTS that bolts onto a battery Flag Terminal. I do not yet know is the actual sensor would be compatible with the older X inverters, but will ohm them out when next at the off grid site. Terminal heating aside, this might be worth a try if the sensor is compatible. FYI Vic
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

The old Trace/Xantrex BTS's were 100K at 25 degrees C and are NTC. i.e. resistance goes down with temperature.

OB is also NTC and is 10K Ohms nominal at 25 C.

boB
  • Vic

OHooo, Hi boB, I've been BUSTED !

Thanks for the data. It is the the SW+ 5548s which seem to have a bit of a problem correctly temp comping vs the MX-60. Had wondered about trying to use the TriStar TS 60's Flag Terminal BTS on the X inverters, but think that it is also a 10 K NTC. I could build one ... Thanks for the info.

Really needed another CC, soon, so had to pop for one. Really wanted it to be a Midnite Classic, but just had to make the move. And this will allow me to see just how much difference FCC Class B compliance really means to my Off-Grid Hammie Radio site. And, it is field-programmable. For me, that being missing from the FM series knocked them out. ... etc.

You guys did such a great job on the MX-60, am sure that it took quite a long time to get all of the great functionality into that box !

I still can't wait for your Classic MMP CC, and will have room here for some.

BTW, your line of Midnite interconnection giblets and breakers sure solve a lotta problems, and, they are very reasonably priced. You even have DIN Rail three phase breakers at a very reasonable price COOL ! 73 Thanks, Vic K6IC
  • boB
    Vic wrote: »
    OHooo, Hi boB, I've been BUSTED !

Thanks for the data. It is the the SW+ 5548s which seem to have a bit of a problem correctly temp comping vs the MX-60. Had wondered about trying to use the TriStar TS 60's Flag Terminal BTS on the X inverters, but think that it is also a 10 K NTC. I could build one ... Thanks for the info.

Really needed another CC, soon, so had to pop for one. Really wanted it to be a Midnite Classic, but just had to make the move. And this will allow me to see just how much difference FCC Class B compliance really means to my Off-Grid Hammie Radio site. And, it is field-programmable. For me, that being missing from the FM series knocked them out. ... etc.

You guys did such a great job on the MX-60, am sure that it took quite a long time to get all of the great functionality into that box !

I still can't wait for your Classic MMP CC, and will have room here for some.

BTW, your line of Midnite interconnection giblets and breakers sure solve a lotta problems, and, they are very reasonably priced. You even have DIN Rail three phase breakers at a very reasonable price COOL ! 73 Thanks, Vic K6IC

Thanks, Vic ! Yes, this stuff isn't easy.
    Say, when commuting to and from work, (about 15 miles), I have the HF
    radio in the car. Maybe sometime we could work each other on, say, 20 meters ?

And, any other hams on here too, of course.

boB
    K7IQ
  • Vic

hI boB,

YEP, perhaps a rough sched time and freq. 'twould be a kick ! More sunspost will help, as 20 M should be 'shorter' . Do you have an antenna for mobile 40 M ?

73 Vic K6IC
  • boB
    hI boB,

Do you have an antenna for mobile 40 M ?

73 Vic K6IC

Yes I do but it's too resonant. 20 meters just works great though which is
    why I mentioned that. 20 m kinda sucks today. I'm on my way usually around
    9:00 AM to 9:30--9:45 AM.
  • Vic

OK boB,

Well that is often a good time for me. Do you have a favorite frequency ? Perhaps lower in the band 14160ish if tuning there would be easy for you. Have not listened there in the mornings, so do not know about traffic in that part of the band.

73 Vic
  • boB
    OK boB,

Well that is often a good time for me. Do you have a favorite frequency ? Perhaps lower in the band 14160ish if tuning there would be easy for you. Have not listened there in the mornings, so do not know about traffic in that part of the band.

73 Vic

Will try 14.160 If busy, I'll go up 5 kHz then 10 kHz

boB
  • Vic

OK, Great. Will be listening and tuning about. 73 Thanks Vic K6IC