another wire sizing question.

Options
notsobright
notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
what size wire?

I need to carry 45 amps @12vdc no more than ten feet.

from battery charger to battery. actually there will be a 50amp selector switch in between but I dont think thats a consideration here is it?

thanks

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: another wire sizing question.

#4 will give a 2.38% drop and #2 will give a 1.5% drop.
  • notsobright
    Options

hi neil, thanks. thats about what I got from this chart too

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

the reason I ask is because I dont get it.

the charger Im looking at only has 8 AWG on the output leads and they are only ten feet. not only that but its a switching charger and has a 100a (starting) output.

I was thinking since I wouldnt be using the 100amp charging and at most the 40a amp I could reduce the wire size down from the 8 AWG it has to 10 AWG

surely the charger manufactutrer didnt undersize their wiring. what am I missing here?

thanks
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

There are several reasons why wire sizes are what they are...

First, there is short circuit current--which you size the wire and fuse/breaker. And there are different ways to size it based on where it is installed, type if insulation, etc...

For example. 14 awg wire is normally rated for 15-20 amps maximum/breaker in the NEC. In the table you pointed to--it is rated for 32 amps in "chassis wiring" and for 5.9 amps when used for power transmission.

NEC uses 15 amps as a maximum current for what they consider safe in home/office wiring in conduit of a conduit in a particular setting, operating temperature and specific type of insulation. The Power Stream table makes other assumptions that the wire inside a chassis--I guess with circulating air--can carry as much as 32 amps before insulation will melt. And 5.9 amps if you are going to send the power a long distance (allowing for copper resistance drop)--but no real reason given.

So--for your case, the manufacturer assumes 8 awg cable and a short distance will carry the maximum current safely for short distances at 73 amps. 100 amps is a lot of current and the cables will probably get hot--but the charger may limit the time it will run at 100 amps (like starting a car or "boost" starting current for 15 seconds or something like that--just guessing).

But, there is the other thing we are looking at -- resistance and voltage drop. 10' cable run, x2 (there and back) is 20' of cable. If you use 8 awg at room temperature and 45 amps, you will get around 0.581 volts drop...
    • P-I*V=45 amps * 14.2 volts = 639 watts from charger
    • P=I*V=45 amps * 0.581 volts = 26 watts lost
    If you are using solar power to charge your batteries--that is 26 watts that is going into heating your wiring instead of charging your battery bank--at $5 a watt for a smaller solar panel--that is $130 in wasted solar panel every day.

Normally, we try to recommend that you limit losses to ~3% or less--and many people try to aim near the 1.5% or less in losses.

But, the power loss in charging the battery (and heating the cables) is not really the limiting issue in this case--Notice that you will have almost a 0.6 volt drop in your cables. The battery charger will see the battery voltage as 0.6 volts higher than it really is.

You set the charger to 14.2 volts for charging and the battery sees 13.6--a nice easy float voltage instead of a fast charging one--and so you will probably get a lot less than 45 amps through to the battery bank unless the charger voltage set-point is jacked up 0.6 volts or so.

In computers--we use sense leads (a separate set of volt meter wires that connect to the load)--to allow the charge controller to measure the "real battery voltage" instead of battery+lead drop voltage. Unfortinatually, I have not seen many solar charge controllers that use sense leads.

Anyway, the longer your wires, the heavier they will need to be at high currents to reduce heat loss and ensure your battery is quickly charged. And why it is recommended that the charger to battery connections be as short and heavy as practical to limit these losses and errors. Short heavy cables are also recommended for inverters... And why sending low voltage DC (like 12 volts) any great lengths is so difficult.

Does that sort of make sense?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

basically, they did go with the smallest wire that they could legally get away with as per bb's explanation, so cheapened it is. replacing the wire with good thick cables and clamps would void the warranty too.
  • notsobright
    Options
    BB. wrote: »

Does that sort of make sense?

-Bill

you're asking me? HAha! its does make sense to me though. and I only had to read it twice.

yes the 100a is limited for starting. I was thinking #10awg would be OK.. I think now #8awg will be OK for this, I can live with some losses here since it will be limited use anyway.
    niel wrote: »
    basically, they did go with the smallest wire that they could legally get away with as per bb's explanation, so cheapened it is. replacing the wire with good thick cables and clamps would void the warranty too.

the plan for now is this charger http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/product-details.aspx?productid=15580&toolview=7#details

and remove the clamps replacing them with one of these connectors
    http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/sb50-sb-series-50-amp.html

I will leave the full legnth of the exsisting cable so if there is any issues to be warrantied Im sure I can install the OEM clamps back on in a way that wont draw attention to the fact I had replaced them before.

from the quick connector I'll run the positive lead #8awg to a 50amp SPDT switch like this one
    http://www.repairconnector.com/products/6%252d12-Volt-50-Amp-Heavy-Duty-On%252dOff%252dOn-Toggle-Switch.html
    or something similar. the negative lead to directly chassis ground. both pos. and neg. leads not more and one foot at this point

from the switch, #8awg ~5' to 45-50amp fuse on battery1 and ~3' to 45-50a fuse on battery2

seems workable in my mind but ofcourse I will be closely monitoring wire and switch temps upon initial use for any indication there might be problems.

Im still not clear on "shunts" and/or if I should use them instead of fuses in this case or not though so this plan is not set in stone yet.

anyone see anything I've overlooked here?

thanks
  • BB.
    Options

Shunts are "big 'ol precision resistors". They are not replacements for fuses/breakers.

wind-sun_2094_5925052Deltec 100 amp, 100 millivolt current shunt
    AC or DC - common item for use with many battery monitors and amp meters

Your (typically) negative battery terminal goes to one of the heavy posts on the shunt. The other end of the heavy terminal goes to the negative bus / common connection point. That way, all of the battery current (charging or discharging) goes through the shunt.

The two screws are where your "volt meter" wires attach. these measure the voltage across the shunt and is used to read amps (or amp*hours for a cumulative amp*hour/watt*hour meter). Note 100mVolts = 0.1 volts.
    • V=I*R
    • R=V/I= 0.100 volts / 100 amps = 0.001 Ohms
    • Power=V*I=0.1 volts * 100 amps = 10 watts at full current heat from shunt
    I really like Battery Monitors (connect to shunt)--especially if you have sealed batteries (AGM/others). However, battery monitors are not cheap and may be difficult to justify if you have a small system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • notsobright
    Options

I only just recently heard of such a thing. I think when I was asking about inverters and we were discussing fusing on one and at that time "shunts" also came up so Ive been confused about them.

so they are only needed for monitoring amperage?

Ive got this monitor:
    wind-sun_2091_3286203
    http://store.solar-electric.com/mormredime.html

but I dont have a shunt and the install manual doesnt specify one.

it has limited functions.

had I known it didnt do what the other monitors do I would have probably got something different but it was a package deal with the SunSaverDuo controller.
  • BB.
    Options

From a quick look at the data sheet and operators manual from the MorningStar site--I would guess that this does a similar function of logging Amp*Hours...

However, it only logs Amps and Amp*Hours sent to each battery bank (its version of a shunt should be inside the charge controller itself). This meter has no means to measure the current into and out of any battery bank. Nice for monitoring the operation of the charge controller--but cannot tell you how much energy went into the battery or into powering the loads. Or what the state of charge of the battery bank is...

A battery monitor will do roughly the same thing--but measure the battery current in/out directly. This allows the meter to estimate how "full" the battery is at any time (0-100%) based on the AH capacity you first programmed into the Battery Monitor.

I am a big believer in monitoring the charge status of your battery bank to ensure long life. Undercharging is probably the number 1 method that people use to kill their battery bank. Overcharging/Over-Equalization is probably the third most popular way of providing early battery death. ("boiling a battery dry" is probably #2).

A good Hydrometer is still one of the best monitoring tools--but it is a pain to check multiple times a day (and sealed batteries cannot be measured with a hydrometer at all). Monitoring Bank Voltage for state of charge is really only accurate after ~3 hours or so of no charging/loading on the bank.

So--you are left with monitoring current over time (amp*hours in/out) for an instant estimate of battery state of charge under any condition.

-Bill
  • notsobright
    Options

this is the one

wind-sun_2094_30711259
    http://store.solar-electric.com/xalidubamosy.html

I want but that will have to wait a while. as of now I havnt been able to fully test my system anyway. Im looking forward to an extended vacation this spring and getting to know this system Ive spent way too much time and $ on. no regrets.. its been an intresting new hobby so far. might even come in handy someday.

thanks