Separate Charge Controllers

Options
adam1984
adam1984 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
So here is my question (4 of them to be exact).

Example 1: different charge controllers/ same panels
6 of the exact same panels. Set up in separate strings of 3 (2 strings not connected). Can I use two different models of charge controllers and then tie them both in to the battery bank?

Example 2: different panels/ same charge controllers
3 panels 30W 24V and 3 panels 50W 12V, set up in separate strings of 3 (2 strings not connected). Each is wired into its own charge controller (same model) (Assume it has DC/DC conversion so not worried about efficiency). Can i do this?

Example 3: Different panels/ different charge controllers
one string of 3 panels, and a separate string of 2 different panels. The 3 go into one type of charge controller and the string of 2 go into the other model of charge controller. Can I do this?

Example 4: Can i have an unbalanced load, meaning could I tie the two strings of different voltage modules in parallel? My engineering background says no.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: Separate Charge Controllers
    adam1984 wrote: »
    Example 1: different charge controllers/ same panels
    6 of the exact same panels. Set up in separate strings of 3 (2 strings not connected). Can I use two different models of charge controllers and then tie them both in to the battery bank?
    Yes, in general, you can connect multiple charge controllers to one battery bank (within proper voltage/current limits).

Some high end controller can be networked together so that they change charging states (bulk, absorb, float) at the same time. If the controllers are not sync'ed--they will change states and make their own decisions on exact current/voltage levels. Will not hurt anything.

Not sure about 3 strings/two of them isolated. In general do not share a common solar array across multiple controllers across multiple battery banks.
    • Multiple MPPT controllers should never share one solar arrays.
    • You can, in some cases, share one solar array among multiple PWM controllers on multiple battery banks--as long as the PWM controllers have the same internal/common ground (negative) and the battery banks have the same negative ground too.
    • You cannot share one very large current array with multiple PWM controllers feeding one or several battery banks. PWM controllers do not limit or share current (as I understand them). The PWM (shared array or not) must be rated to manage 100% of the voltage/current of the array.
    Example 2: different panels/ same charge controllers
    3 panels 30W 24V and 3 panels 50W 12V, set up in separate strings of 3 (2 strings not connected). Each is wired into its own charge controller (same model) (Assume it has DC/DC conversion so not worried about efficiency). Can i do this?

Matched solar panels on a single MPPT or PWM controller (assuming meet V/I/P requirements) are fine.

Matched or unmatched strings on their own MPPT or PWM controllers connected to a single battery bank--is fine (see question #1). Mixed type/model/brand is OK.
    Example 3: Different panels/ different charge controllers
    one string of 3 panels, and a separate string of 2 different panels. The 3 go into one type of charge controller and the string of 2 go into the other model of charge controller. Can I do this?

Multiple "Isolated" panels+controllers sharing a battery bank is fine.

In many cases, you can share the Negative Grounds of the Solar Panels + Battery Banks instead of going through the Negative Terminal of a solar charge controller...

However, there are exceptions--The Xantrex MPPT 60 amp solar charge controller has current sense in the solar panel negative lead circuit--bypassing array current around the controller will confuse it. I do not know about the new Morning Star MPPT series controllers.
    Example 4: Can i have an unbalanced load, meaning could I tie the two strings of different voltage modules in parallel? My engineering background says no.

In general when working with MPPT based charge controllers/ GT inverters, for series solar panels, match the Imp ratings of the panels within 10%.

For parallel connections, match the Vmp ratings within 10%.

For Solar Panels the peak of the Pmp curve is fairly flat--If you miss-match by 10% or less, you will probably not lose a measurable amount of power.

Greater than 10% miss-match with MPPT controllers can give multiple Pmp peaks--and there is no guarantee which local peak the MPPT controller would lock on (may miss the "real" peak).

You can mix and match smaller panels in series/parallel and then add them to a larger array. However, Isc of the panels (short circuit current) gets complex to provide proper fire protection. And many smaller panels tend not to be rated for higher voltage operation such as the 600 VAC rating of panels designed for GT inverters in high voltage strings. Older/smaller panels may be rated at 70V or less.

For PWM controllers--As long as Vmp>Batt-Chrg+2volts or so--you can add Vmp=17volts in parallel with panels rated at Vmp=28volts --- There is no "extra power loss" -- it is the sum of the Imp's that are giving you Ibatt current for charging. (the 17 vs 28 volts extra P=I*V power is lost anyway with PWM controllers).

I am taking a guess that I answered the questions you intended to ask... I got a bit lost in the details of your generic questions.

Is there a specific problem you are trying to understand/resolve?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • adam1984
    adam1984 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That makes complete sense BB. The specific issue is this. I have 3 75 watt panels on the roof of a house. There are 2 50 watt panels on the ground. The Vmps are 15 and 12. Imps are 5 and 4 respectively (and approximately). I didn't know what the options were to have them go to the same battery bank. I didnt know if I should hook the 2 strings in parallel (1 string would be 45 volts, the other would be 24 volts), or if I would need to keep them as seperate arrays, with two seperate charge controllers. Depending on what i could do i would then make a decision on MPPT or PWM. If i had to leave them as seperate strings, meaning they are two different arrays, would I need the same charge controller, or would two different models work? Preferably i would like to use one and just connect the two strings in parallel.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

If those are true Vmp numbers... The 12 volt is too low to charge a 12 volt battery--so putting them in series is a must. Vmp!~17 volts is a good number for charging a 12 volt battery.,. The "loss" using PWM:
    • 24v * 4 amps = 96 watts
    • (24v-17v) * 4 amps = 28 watts loss
    The 15 volt panels are right on the edge--You could use them in cool weather to charge a 12 battery bank (~14 volts) with a PWM controller as is--or put the three in series behind a MPPT controller:
    • 3 * 15 volts * 5 amps = 225 watts
    However, MPPT controllers are pretty expensive.

Your other choice would be to simply parallel the 15 panels with the 2x12v=24 volt panels (series connected) and put them behind a PWM panel rated to carry the total current (15 amps + 4 amps = 19 amps) and maximum voltage (Voc close to 30 volts). Of course, you could use two smaller PWM controllers to carry 10 and 9 amps each--or whatever you have handy to split the "4 strings" into.

And then measure the Vpanel and Ipanel of the two strings and see if the 15 volt panels are "sharing the load current" while charging the battery bank.

If the 15 amps panels carry most of their loads through the PWM controller--then I would not waste the money on a MPPT controller.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset