DC Breaker Opinion

Crystal
Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
I have been looking at the DC breakers under 100 amps on NAWS. I want one's that have the mounting feet. I see that the Square D QOU have this feature. Are these as good a breaker as Outback. I have not come across Outback breakers that have mounting feet.
What about Midnite breakers?
Those of you who have had experience with any of these breakers, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: DC Breaker Opinion

I don't know what you mean by "mounting feet" (Edit I went and looked and now see what you mean about mounting feet)

The square D QO is the only "generic" breaker that I know of that is DC rated. (Under 48 vdc) The nice thing about these breakers is that they are readily available nearly every where, including the big box stores. As a result, QO breakers and load centres are pretty reasonably priced.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Do you mean DIN Rail mounted breakers? DIN Rail is an European Standard for mounting various electrical type stuff with a common "Hat Section" rail system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Crystal
    I don't know what you mean by "mounting feet"

From the picture I saw the mounting feet is a detachable metal bracket. I would like this feature just in case I cannot fit all the breakers into the Midnite Babybox din rail and may have to mount some on the wall. I am thinking that this method would work all right, but then again I have no idea:blush:

Price comparison for a D QOU 20 amp up to 60 VDC breaker is right in line with the Outback 20 amp dc breaker. However, the Midnite 20 amp dc breaker is half the price.

What do you all recommend?
  • icarus

What about a QO breaker and load center?

Since they are are available generically everywhere they are pretty cheap.

Remind me, What are you trying to do?

Tony
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Yes the Square D QOU is a DIN Breaker. I've used them as a part of a brand X ACCB L conduit box.

Have noticed that Midnite appears to offer some DIN AC breakers (in addition to the DC breakers which have been avail for years), which may work in their Baby Box, and the next size up-- the Big Baby Box.

Am just now specing an order to Northern Arizona WInd & Sun -- the host of this fine site, so will know more in a day.

I have NOT found the QOU in general distribution (ie at Home improvement centers). But they seem common in the RE side of things.

It appears that there are even 3-Phase DIN rail breakers again from Northern AZ W&S. Cool. Will advise on what I find. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

I guess I should add that Midnite Solar is known for offering very reasonably priced pre-wired solutions and wiring components for Xantrex, Outback, and others setups.

I would not have a concern about their quality (from what I have read here--again, I am not in the solar biz at all). Figuring out the components for your installation--can be very confusing.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Midnite Solar will have about any combination of breaker you need ac or dc. They also offer a very wide range of boxes and transfer switch boxes to work with there breakers.
  • Crystal
    Remind me, What are you trying to do?

We are off-grid and are getting the following components for solar system to run a few LED lights, laptop computer, and possibly a 1.4 watt fan for composting toilet.
    2-Evergreen ES-A-210
    Rouge MPPT cc
    4- T-105 batteries
    Samlex 300w inverter
    IOTA 55amp w/IQ4 charger
    Trimetric 2020 battery moniter w/100 amp shunt
    Cable/Wire of varying sizes and lengths
    Midnite Baby Box

I know that I need a:
    20 amp breaker between the panels and cc
    40 amp breaker between cc and battery bank
    40 amp breaker between batteries and inverter
    20 amp breaker between battery charger and battery bank
    The Midnite baby box holds up to 4 DIN rail breakers, so if I need to add another breakers I was thinking I could just mount it to the wall next the box if that is safe. Would it be safe or would I have to get another breaker box?

I think that this is all I will need for breakers...if you have any suggestions or see any problems please let me know. Thank you for all the helpful advice.
  • icarus

If I am seeing this correctly, a 6 slot Square D load centre would do what you need.

1 20 amp QO breaker on the PV
    1 20 amp QO on the Iota
    1 40 on the inverter lead

In this incarnation, I might use a 40 amp FUSE at the battery bank, that would prtect the wire from the battery to the load center. This would then feed one buss side of the breakers. One 40 amp breaker could then feed the other buss and the other 3 breakers if I am explaining this properly.

That way the all the battery current (in both directions) flows through the fuse at the battery, and then through the breaker (acting as a system disconnect) The other breakers would either be fed from that "main" 40 amp" in the case of the inverter, or be fed from the others in the case of the Pv or Iota. Since they all combine at the battery anyway having them combine in the load centre seems cleaner.

I think that Square D load centres come in many different configurations so a 6 space box should be pretty easy to find. http://www.squared.com/us/products/load_centers.nsf/unid/250EBE3967B7E08085256A6300646675/$file/4_8Frameset.htm

About $20 at Home depot or Lowes or Canadian tire.

Your system is nearly identical to mine, except I run a number of DC loads (12vdc) as well through a Square D box. The only difference is that I feed the battery charger on it's own leads, with it's own in line fuse. I don't know why I didn't run it through the load centre but I'm sure I had a reason.

With no offense to Robin and BoB I don't know what you need the Midnight combiner box for. The Square D is probably much cheaper and more easily sourced locally.

I hope this is clearer than mud.

Tony
  • Crystal
    In this incarnation, I might use a 40 amp FUSE at the battery bank, that would prtect the wire from the battery to the load center. This would then feed one buss side of the breakers. One 40 amp breaker could then feed the other buss and the other 3 breakers if I am explaining this properly.
    Thanks for the suggestion...however I don't know if I understand it completly.

Would this 40 amp fuse be wired in-line then? I don't plan on using bus bars, I am planning on splicing the wires together. I have been told that this would work as long as their are not too many wires to deal with. So, would the 40 amp fuse between the charge control and battery bank idea still work without bus bars?
    Your system is nearly identical to mine, except I run a number of DC loads (12vdc) as well through a Square D box.
    Tony, if you don't mind sharing what DC loads do you run on your system?
    My family and I are very conserving and live well without grid electricity. The addition of the solar system is going to enrich our lives with only a few modern conveniences. Yes, we could do without, but this has been a dream of ours for quite awhile and now it is finally becoming a reality.
  • halfcrazy

The load center will not work the breakers are all tied to a common bus therefore you could not bring pv in and battery out.

My recommendation would be to us a Midnite Big Baby box it has more room the list price is 45.00

Or if you want more room you can use a Midnite MNPV6 just don't use the bus bar.

Or if you want to get real fancy you can use a Midnite Mini DC box.
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    The load center will not work the breakers are all tied to a common bus therefore you could not bring pv in and battery out.
    Actually their are 2 bus bars, one for each leg of a 220 circuit. I have used these before and I use one side of the L2 leg for the output breaker and the other side (L1) for the input breakers, one way of a making an inexpensive 3 string combiner box using the 6 breaker load center. The input breakers have to be in positions 1, 3, 5 while the output breaker has to be in position 6.
  • icarus

Crystal,

Mikeo has it exactly right. That said, either buss or both for that matter, can carry current in or out. In other words it doesn't matter if you connect "to the battery" at the battery or at the buss as it is the same net effect. What is important is that the breakers protect the wires they are designed to protect. (This is why I suggest an inline fuse at the battery, serving to protect that wire from the battery to the breaker. A breaker doesn't care which direction the current flows).

As for the 12 vdc loads. Our system started out as a pure 12 volt system, not unlike a RV system. Slowly we have evolved away from 12 vdc in favour or 120vac as inverters have gotten better and cheaper. There is a ton of 12vdc stuff both for the truck as well as the RV market. The original intention was to use the inverter sparingly, but since they are so efficient nearly everything new now runs on 120 vac.

We have a dual wiring system that provides 12 vdc lighting in a number of areas mostly for emergency lighting. We also carry 12vdc to the fridge to power the control board (LP fridge) The water pump is 12 vdc (we actually use a voltage doubler to run the pump on 24 vdc). We have a 12 vdc paddle fan, we use a car type radio with Ipod adaptor wired for 12vdc for a stereo. We also us 12vdc for the sat/cell phone. I also have a number of small computer fans moving air around the house as the season requires. (Cheap to buy, quiet to run). I find 24vdc fans at the computer recyclers and run them on 12. They run very quietly then, and still move a bunch of air.

I hope that helps.
  • Toddlingham
    Toddlingham Registered Users Posts: 7

If you use a square D load center which has two busses and you use a jumper to tie the two busses together and it's attached to the battery positive through a breaker then the whole panel just became your battery positive terminal and you can come out of it to your inverter or any DC load as well as go into it with your PV positive from your charge controller. The current will go whatever direction it's drawn. However, if you're talking about your PV pos. before going through your charge controller that's another story. I always use a separate PV disconnect for that. You could separate the busses and alternate breakers to achieve this I suppose but if you intend to expand you may regret it as the 2 pole ( double ) QO breakers in amperages over 50 are readily available and reasonably priced. A small QO panel with two busses will handle two charge controllers if you don't bond the busses. If however you're worried about which direction current is flowing through a panel but it's all Battery positive then don't worry. Battery Positive is Battery Positive.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

I'd recommend against a QO or QOU breaker for the main battery circuit breaker. Although rated for 48 Vdc (maximum, not "nominal"), the amps interrupting rating (AIR) is only 5 kA, IIRC. This is fairly low for a battery bank.

The problem is that a short-circuited battery could actually melt the breaker's innards, and, rather than interrupt the current flow, the ruined breaker could actually conduct current. Accordingly, I strongly recommend a DC-rated breaker with minimum 20 kA AIR, and 50 kA AIR is preferred.

See: http://magnetic-circuit-breakers.carlingtech.com/magnetic-circuit-breaker__80.asp

Note that some DC rated breakers (i.e. CBI breakers from OutBack and Midnite) are now polarized, with a "+" symbol marking the "more positive" terminal. These breakers contain a polarized arc chute designed to safely manage open/close DC arcing in one current direction. For example, used for a CC output breaker, the "+" terminal would be connected on the battery side of the wiring.

See: http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2645&p=15498&hilit=circuit+breaker+polarity#p15498

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • halfcrazy

1000% with Jim on this one I just removed a pair of melted breakers that where feeding dc loads on a solar system. I see no good reason to use the wrong item when the correct item is available just browse MidNite Solar's website or any others.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Price comparison for a D QOU 20 amp up to 60 VDC breaker is right in line with the Outback 20 amp dc breaker. However, the Midnite 20 amp dc breaker is half the price.

The "small" DIN mount DC-rated circuit breakers (not the panel mount style) from MidNite Solar and OutBack appear to be the same price at NAWS store: CBI is the OEM for both.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer