help with solar panel

Options
cajun666
cajun666 Solar Expert Posts: 27
i have 3 SUN-100 panel and 1 45 Watt Solar Panel Kit ( Three 15 watt solar panels )

my Charge Controller is a Sunforce 30 Amp Digital Charge Controller, Model# 60032

i well be geetting 6 225 amp hr battary

i have the box to spilce all panel in two with bus bar

what else i my need to finish this

me wire run to battary shed is about 30 ft i use 8 awg wire

hear is some pic of where there well be gone up at

DSCF2203.JPG
DSCF2204.JPG

DSCF2197.JPG

DSCF2205.JPG

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: help with solar panel

Is that 6 batteries or one 6 vdc 225 ah battery?

What are (and how) are you going to power with this system?

Tony
  • cajun666
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    Is that 6 batteries or one 6 vdc 225 ah battery?

What are (and how) are you going to power with this system?

Tony

off grid power bye gen
    but deisel is 2.50 a gal and we burn 1 1/2 gal a hr

12 v system
    6 6volt battarys
    19 inch TELEVISIONS
    1ooo watt MICROWAVE OVENS
    a few light
    lap top
  • icarus
    Options

First,

Your 345 watts of PV will be lucky to give you ~ 700 watt hours of power on a perfect day, enough to power a 200 watt tv for 3.5 hours.

Second, that 345 watts of PV will be lucky to give you 15-20 amps of charge current under perfect conditions. If you are relying on PV to charge 675 amp/hour (12vdc) you will be seriously under charging your batteries. The suggested charge current for flooded lead acid batteries is between 5-15% of ah capacity. This would suggest a minimum charge current of ~33 amps, or a max somewhere near 100 amps.

Two quick rules of thumb, If you take the name plate rating of your PV, cut it in 1/2 to account for all system loses, multiply that number by the number hour of good sun (seldom more than 4) and that gives you the total number of watt hours you can expect under ideal conditions. So 345/2*4= 690 watt hours

The second rule, is people over estimate the amount of solar power they get, and they under estimate the power they use, usually resulting in damaged batteries.

I suggest that you get a very good handle on your daily loads, using a KIll-A-Watt meter. By knowing your REAL loading, you can begin to get a feel for how much you will be able to power with PV.

Tony
  • cajun666
    Options

i use this to fig out how many panels i whould need

it telling me
    Number of Solar Panels (80-100 watt) = 3
    Number of Batteries (12v @ 105 AH) = 7

so i should go with 4 225 battary in steed of the 6

or i am just not getting it
  • icarus
    Options

I'm not familiar with the calculator you link, but here is some things that I think you should know.

In order to figure how big a PV system needs to be you need to figure out your loads.

Using the calculator you link, or just pen and paper, add up all the loads that you are likely to use, how big they are and how long you are likely to use them. For example lets say you burn 3 15 watt CFL bulbs for 4 hours a day. 15*4=45. That is 45 watt hours. (wh)
    TV, 150 watts for 4 hours= 600 wh

Do that for all your loads, estimating worst case. After you have all your loads calculated you can begin to figure out how to power them. Remember, most if not all your loads will be powered by the batteries, through the inverter. All these systems have efficiency losses. Starting at the PV, you have PV efficiency, wiring loses, charge controller losses, and basic battery charging efficiency, more wiring loses, inverter efficiency. Add all these loses up and in simple terms, they add up to about 50% net net. So any loads have to include the system loses as a load as well.

So using my own small off grid system as an example. We have 300 watts of PV. On a perfect day, our system will put ~20 amps into the batteries for about four hours, or 80 ah, or in simple numbers ~960 whs. (V*A=W) 12v *20*4=960ah

On the same good day, we might use ~600 wh of power, leaving us with a surplus of ~400 wh, so nearly everyday our batteries get fully charged.

A battery bank needs to be sized to power the loads with out excessively drawing down the batteries. Some folks consider a 50% draw down to be OK, I personally think it only good to draw the batteries down 20% to ensure long lived batteries. (Battery life is directly related to how many times they are drawn down and by how much. Lower draws equal longer life,, it really is that simple. So batteries need to be sized for the expected loads PLUS some reserve to allow for days with no sun. Most folks like to design in a three day reserve before needing to charge the battery from a generator.

So in my case, I only draw my batteries 450ah 20%, or about 90 ah or ~1 kwh. So if I am using ~.6 kwh/day, I can easily go 2 full days with total darkness and still only draw my battery down to ~80%. In fact I get some solar charge nearly every day, so in fact I get 3-4 grey days before I need to charge from the generator. It is also important that batteries are not left partially charged for more than a few days, or they will suphate and be quickly destroyed.

So, in short, you need to figure out your loads FIRST, then design the PV/batteries.
    So until you can really give us an pretty accurate load calculation we will be hard pressed to give you useful information.

I suggest before you go much further you read and understand the following:http://www.batteryfaq.org/
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

Good luck, and keep in touch,

Tony
  • cajun666
    Options

this is for my dad camps the longest we well be there is a wk at a time or my be 2 wk ends a mth

when i get off work i well bering my amp porbe and amp out the load on the gen on what we well be useing

thanks for the help
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

One of the forum members here has a web site with a lot of good info, and he started out pretty much the same as you.

http://www.2manytoyz.com/
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Get a Kill-a-Watt meter to test out your 120 VAC 15 amp pluggable loads.

While it is important to know your peak loads--it is also important to know your average loads... For example the fridge may take 150 watts, but only run 20 minutes out of the hour... So, for a solar/battery system, without measuring the cycle -- you would end up assuming 3x as much watt-hour (kWhr) draw per day as you actually would need.

Another issue is that week end / 1-2 season use really does not not make for a great solar panel/battery/system investment to power everything.

You are usually better off figuring out your minimum loads during "quiet time" and such (lights, TV, laptop)--power those with battery bank (and possibly solar) and plan on using alternatives for the "big loads".

For example, the Fridge--look at a propane powered fridge (you only pay to run it when you are there). For the AC/Microwaves/entertainment center and battery charging during heavy use/poor sun--use the genset for that.

Now--gensets can be about as cost effective as a good solar off-grid system... However, you need to balance your loads against the size of your genset.

Running 1.5 gallons per hour of diesel makes it sound like a 15-30+ kW diesel genset. Great for running the modern home with A/C, electric heat and hot water, electric stove, etc...

However, add up the "normal loads" -- say TVs, a microwave, fan, washer/dryer, etc.... If you can run those on a single 15 amp circuit (i.e., don't run the microwave and washer at the same time), you can probably look at a much smaller genset.

For example, you can use a Honda eu2000i at 0.25 GPH to run 1,600 watts, and it will even go down to ~15 hours on 1.1 gallons of gas at 400 watts or less load. The single eu2000i may power your small A/C system--or in the long term, look at the Sanyo or other small mini-split which can dial back to ~300 watts at 3,000 BTU (add some insulation and double pane windows to save some energy/money).

Possibly much more cost effective vs the large diesel. Or--look at downsizing the diesel to a unit that better matches your day to day load.

I would suggest that you meter the diesel genset output (power and kWhrs per gallon of fuel) and see if you can better understand and control your fuel use too. Most gensets run about the same gallon per hour at 50% rated load as at 0% rated load... So if your average load is not very near 50% of your gensets rating--you can probably save money with a smaller genset.

Off-Grid solar power is not cheap--and it can cost you (very rough estimate) on the order of $1-$2+ per kWhr (10x what "utility" power costs at your home)... So you don't want to run inefficient appliances or over design the system that is only used mostly on weekends.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cajun666
    Options

i well only use

19 inch TELEVISIONS at the most 6 hrs
    1ooo watt MICROWAVE OVENS no longer then 5 min at a shot
    3 15 watt Fluorescent lights not all at the same time
    lap top may be 8 hrs

only in day light hrs

well run the 20 kw 2-71 gen at night

lets say we use the gen for 24 hrs for a wk off road fuel is 2.50 a gal and we whould use 170 gal x 2.50 = $ 425.oo for a wk and lets say we use the camp for 120 24 hrs days fuel coast is $7200.00

i could have this paid off in 2 yrs of use

$15,000.00 whould buy a kick ass solar sytems:cool:
  • icarus
    Options

"19 inch TELEVISIONS at the most 6 hrs
    1ooo watt MICROWAVE OVENS no longer then 5 min at a shot
    3 15 watt Fluorescent lights not all at the same time
    lap top may be 8 hrs"

19" television,, how many watts?

1000 watt micro,, 5 minutes,, but how often/

3 cfls,, for how long?

Lap top, how many watts? Modem? Printer? Router?

None of this makes any sense until you COMBINE the watts AND the time, making watt/hours!

My hunch is that your television alone is going to draw AS MUCH as you PV system will generate. 150 watts of TV (est) times 6 hours = 900 wh. You will need to generate ~1500-2000 wh at the panel to draw this much.

Tony
  • BB.
    Options
    cajun666 wrote: »
    well run the 20 kw 2-71 gen at night
    Not sure what this means... We'll as in "we will" or are you talking about running a well pump. What is a "2-71 gen"?
    lets say we use the gen for 24 hrs for a wk off road fuel is 2.50 a gal and we whould use 170 gal x 2.50 = $ 425.oo for a wk and lets say we use the camp for 120 24 hrs days fuel coast is $7200.00

i could have this paid off in 2 yrs of use

$15,000.00 whould buy a kick ass solar system:cool:

Say your maximum power would be 1,600 to 2,000 watts and a Honda eu2000i will run it... You run, on average, 400 watts for 6 hours... The Honda uses 1.1 gallons for 15 hours of run time:

1/2 gallon per day (6 hours of power) * $3.00 per gallon * 120 days = $270 of fuel costs per season

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cajun666
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Not sure what this means... We'll as in "we will" or are you talking about running a well pump. What is a "2-71 gen"?

Say your maximum power would be 1,600 to 2,000 watts and a Honda eu2000i will run it... You run, on average, 400 watts for 6 hours... The Honda uses 1.1 gallons for 15 hours of run time:

1/2 gallon per day (6 hours of power) * $3.00 per gallon * 120 days = $270 of fuel costs per season

-Bill
    A1501926-20080314200331.jpg
    the Detroit 2-71 20KW genset is use at night for

outdoor light 2ooo watts
    hot water heater 7200 watts
    a/c 3 tons of windwos uints
    heater in winter 5000 watts
    tv 19"

we useing porblem 12 kw
  • icarus
    Options

I think a 2/71 is a Detroit diesel, 2 cycle, 2 cyld with 71 cu.in" per cyld.

What I don't get is why are you running such a big generator, if all you are powering is the small loads that you have listed?

My 5 kw lister diesel burns ~1/4 gallon per hour at full load, so I would suggest that you are running the generator at a very inefficient load range. Get a smaller generator as bill suggests. A Honda Eu 1-2000 will put out a lot of power for a long time on little fuel.

To suggest that you are "going to get free power" from the sun, suggest a fundamental misunderstanding of the real costs of battery based solar electrcity.

Tony

PS Does Ready, fire aim come to mind?
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    cajun666 wrote: »
    the Detroit 2-71 20KW genset is use at night for

outdoor light 2ooo watts
    hot water heater 7200 watts
    a/c 3 tons of windwos uints
    heater in winter 5000 watts

Looks like a nice beefy genset. You're using a lot of energy for heating, have you considered recovering the heat from the genset to offset this? You could recover both the coolant heat and the exhaust heat. Might even contribute more than 20kW in heat.
  • icarus
    Options

Consider using Propane or Natural gas for space and water heat.

Also, it is at least 3 times more efficient to heat water directly with solar, than it is to convert sun to electricity and then back to heat. Same with space heat. Solar hot water is pretty easy and simple compared to Pv.

Why 2000 watts of outdoor light?

Tony
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Is it possible to build a small solar panel to run like a small appliance
    or charge up some batteries?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Does it matter what part of the country you are in? Will it effect the amount of energy I can create?
  • cajun666
    Options
    Consider using Propane or Natural gas for space and water heat.

Also, it is at least 3 times more efficient to heat water directly with solar, than it is to convert sun to electricity and then back to heat. Same with space heat. Solar hot water is pretty easy and simple compared to Pv.

Why 2000 watts of outdoor light?

Tony

did u look at my picture

i am in the middle of a swamp

no power lines no light for miles

just snakes , bugs and alligator
  • cajun666
    Options

looking at 2manytoyz.com web shigt i need to get a lot of thing i do not have to set it corectly
  • cajun666
    Options

just pick up one of these Xantrex LinkPRO Battery Monitor there not cheap 265.00

should give me a idea how to add to the sytem buy telling me what the laod on the battarys and pvs
  • icarus
    Options

We are 150 miles from the nearest power line on an Island and we have no outside lights! Not quite true, we have a few, but rarely turn them on.

I have always found that specific task lighting, (inside or out) is way more effective and more efficient that huge general lighting.

It seems to me that you are sort of ready, fire, aiming this system,

Tony
  • cajun666
    Options
    Does it matter what part of the country you are in? Will it effect the amount of energy I can create?

yes some parts get more sun light than others
  • BB.
    Options

While I am a big proponent of Battery Monitors--I believe you are approaching the problem backwards. Instrumenting a current system to measure loads is OK--but does not really help you define the most cost effective system in the first place.

Get a kill-a-watt meter (for 120 VAC 15 amp devices) and if you have DC loads, get an amp*hour/watt*hour meter for those.

Measure your average loads over 1 day (or more)... Especially those loads that vary over time (refrigerator, washer, etc.).

Yes--you can power everything with your 20 kW genset or a 20 kW solar array + 600 kWH battery bank... But a 20 kW solar array + battery bank is going to cost you $200,000-$400,000 or so.

Generally, off-grid is a compromise of reducing power/energy usage to the bare minimum that you will want to pay for.... Very roughly, off-grid electric power is 10x the cost of power at your home. So--it makes a lot of sense to conserve/turn off/go without energy hungry appliances when at a remote site.

If you choose to power your electric water heater, 2kW of out door lighting, mutlitple TV's and entertainment centers, electric heating/cooling, etc. -- The diesel genset will probably be your best and least costly source of power.

At best, if you lived at the site 9+ months of the year, a solar off-grid system would be about a wash in long term costs (not to mention the low up-front costs of your diesel gen-set vs the huge costs up front for solar).

As a suggestion--I would aim at 100 kWhrs per month maximum electrical usage for an off-grid solar system. Reasonable price and maintenance costs.

If you want to build a 20 kW off-grid system--more than happy to help you run the numbers for that too...

You might end up with a hybrid system--Solar/Batteries for supply your quiet time loads (evening TV + fan + interior lights) and the Genset for the big loads (fire up to make breakfast, run hot water for the showers, etc.).

One other question--what major city is your cabin near? Many of the coastal zones around the gulf have lots of humidity/cloudy weather which hurts solar production too... You can plug some numbers into the PV Watts website to see how much power various sized systems will produce (note, 1 kW panel minimum, use derating=0.52 for an off grid system).

-Bill
  • cajun666
    Options
    We are 150 miles from the nearest power line on an Island and we have no outside lights! Not quite true, we have a few, but rarely turn them on.

I have always found that specific task lighting, (inside or out) is way more effective and more efficient that huge general lighting.

It seems to me that you are sort of ready, fire, aiming this system,

Tony

it more like i have't a cule what i have got my self in two but with the help of good peolpe like u and other on this forum i thank i manger to get some thing that well work out for me :D
  • cajun666
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    While I am a big proponent of Battery Monitors--I believe you are approaching the problem backwards. Instrumenting a current system to measure loads is OK--but does not really help you define the most cost effective system in the first place.

Get a kill-a-watt meter (for 120 VAC 15 amp devices) and if you have DC loads, get an amp*hour/watt*hour meter for those.

Measure your average loads over 1 day (or more)... Especially those loads that vary over time (refrigerator, washer, etc.).

Yes--you can power everything with your 20 kW genset or a 20 kW solar array + 600 kWH battery bank... But a 20 kW solar array + battery bank is going to cost you $200,000-$400,000 or so.

Generally, off-grid is a compromise of reducing power/energy usage to the bare minimum that you will want to pay for.... Very roughly, off-grid electric power is 10x the cost of power at your home. So--it makes a lot of sense to conserve/turn off/go without energy hungry appliances when at a remote site.

If you choose to power your electric water heater, 2kW of out door lighting, mutlitple TV's and entertainment centers, electric heating/cooling, etc. -- The diesel genset will probably be your best and least costly source of power.

At best, if you lived at the site 9+ months of the year, a solar off-grid system would be about a wash in long term costs (not to mention the low up-front costs of your diesel gen-set vs the huge costs up front for solar).

As a suggestion--I would aim at 100 kWhrs per month maximum electrical usage for an off-grid solar system. Reasonable price and maintenance costs.

If you want to build a 20 kW off-grid system--more than happy to help you run the numbers for that too...

You might end up with a hybrid system--Solar/Batteries for supply your quiet time loads (evening TV + fan + interior lights) and the Genset for the big loads (fire up to make breakfast, run hot water for the showers, etc.).

One other question--what major city is your cabin near? Many of the coastal zones around the gulf have lots of humidity/cloudy weather which hurts solar production too... You can plug some numbers into the PV Watts website to see how much power various sized systems will produce (note, 1 kW panel minimum, use derating=0.52 for an off grid system).

-Bill

no for what i wait out of my pv system i can get buy with 2 kw system i well not power the out door light with this system or power the a/c just what i have listed at the fist post:roll:
  • BB.
    Options

Here is an example for Lake Charles La. A 2kW system will generate roughly 110-160 kWhrs per month (on average):
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Lake_Charles"
    "State:","Louisiana"
    "Lat (deg N):", 30.12
    "Long (deg W):", 93.22
    "Elev (m): ", 3
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 2.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 30.1"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 8.1 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 3.77, 115, 9.32
    2, 4.75, 130, 10.53
    3, 5.07, 149, 12.07
    4, 5.27, 146, 11.83
    5, 5.74, 160, 12.96
    6, 5.65, 149, 12.07
    7, 5.54, 151, 12.23
    8, 5.60, 153, 12.39
    9, 5.41, 144, 11.66
    10, 5.40, 155, 12.55
    11, 4.51, 129, 10.45
    12, 3.70, 111, 8.99
    "Year", 5.03, 1692, 137.05

Picking some random numbers from above:
    • 120 kWhrs per month / 30 days per month = 4 kWhrs per day = 4,000 Watt*Hours per day
    Say you want to power for 5 hours of use per day:
    • 4,000 watt*hours / 5 hours = 200 watts average load for 5 hours per day
    Or, if you wanted to run your microwave flat out:
    • 4,000 Watt*Hours / 1,500 watts = 2.67 hours per day
    That is sort of how the math will work out... Add up the watts*time for all of your major and minor uses and see how many Watt*Hours per day you will need/can support (by season).

-Bill
  • cajun666
    Options

"Station Identification"
    "City:","New_Orleans"
    "State:","Louisiana"
    "Lat (deg N):", 29.98
    "Long (deg W):", 90.25
    "Elev (m): ", 3
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 2.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.770"
    "AC Rating:"," 1.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 30.0"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 8.1 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 3.49, 159, 12.88
    2, 4.84, 200, 16.20
    3, 5.09, 227, 18.39
    4, 5.60, 234, 18.95
    5, 5.75, 243, 19.68
    6, 5.64, 225, 18.23
    7, 5.51, 229, 18.55
    8, 5.35, 223, 18.06
    9, 5.18, 210, 17.01
    10, 5.39, 235, 19.04
    11, 4.50, 196, 15.88
    12, 3.86, 175, 14.18
    "Year", 5.02, 2554, 206.87
    this one is colsed to me now i am going to try the math
  • BB.
    Options

One correction... The "0.77" Derating Factor works for Grid Tied systems. Yours is off grid and you have more losses (battery bank and AC inverter). Use "0.52" as your starting Derating Factor. (yes, you have about 50% efficiency from solar panel "labeled watts" to useful power out the 120 VAC inverter).

Also, you can past the numbers into a spread sheet and plug in different "what if" questions.

And, if you change from 1kW to 2kW of solar panels, that is the same as multiplying the output values by "2". Nothing magic going on (other than they use real Solar Radiation Data which includes seasons and weather effects).

-Bill