Xantrex Controller: external events ?

Sheldon
Sheldon Solar Expert Posts: 51 ✭✭✭✭
I was reading the xantrex controller downloads and so far have not found any mention of external relay closures or other control.

Ideally, I'd like to turn on a fan when charging my batteries (probably can pick off of the charger output, with a voltage sensitive switch),

turn on the fan when the outside air temp is cooler than the batteries etc to pre-cool them over night.

Any joy to be had? or do I need a totally separate fan control system?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex Controller: external events ?

Sheldon,

Do not have a X CC, but on the OB and Midnite Classic (should ship soon), that control function is the Aux Output. Believe the Classic has TWO Aux outputs.

The XW CC should have one, but have not looked, yet. Altho, you may be considering a C-XX Xantrex CC.

If you can wait, and need an MPPT CC, the Midnite Classic may be worth the wait.

Just MHO, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

XW-MPPT has fully selectable event driven aux function and variable voltage to match the user provided relay ( or solid state switch ). It's documented in the owners manual.
  • Sheldon

My imprecision, I was looking at the system control panel, not MPPT charge controller.

Good to know the charge controller can do that

S
  • Sheldon

I found these guys

http://www.briery.com/index.html

who seem to have a CAN bus software that reads XANBUS,

and purports to be able to control external equipment like the turbine.
  • Sheldon

Actually Xantrex makes their own

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/269/p/1/pt/25/product.asp

Though its seems to be only a wifi datalogger

BUT... the AGS should do it, if I can configure it for simple fan start
  • dlenox
    dlenox Solar Expert Posts: 42

Sheldon,

Yes the PowerDashboard software right now has the ability to monitor wind turbine via DataQ A/D controller, and provides automatic shutdown capabilities through the software

The next release or PowerDashboard in a couple of weeks will have ability to control all 6 of the digital output ports on the DataQ. Triggers can be defined based on a whole lot of various measured things to allow you to turn specific ports ON/OFF.

The DataQ outputs TTl voltage levels so a simple relay control board is actually needed to provide the actual device switching. The dual relay boards that I sell have two 15amp capacity relays.

At the same time I will have a version that is compatible with *Outback* product line as well. Right now I am conducting alpha testing so availability will be soon.

Dan Lenox
  • dlenox
    dlenox Solar Expert Posts: 42

Sheldon,

I have a copy of the Xantrex bulletin that shows how to use the Aux port on the XW SCC to power the Xanbus. Certainly it can be used for other purposes as well, it is here.

If I remember correctly at midnight the SCC does some sort of reset and as a result the Aux is also reset, causing a 'blip' for a couple of seconds. But that should be easy enough to live with.

Dan Lenox
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    Sheldon,

Do not have a X CC, but on the OB and Midnite Classic (should ship soon), that control function is the Aux Output. Believe the Classic has TWO Aux outputs.

The XW CC should have one, but have not looked, yet. Altho, you may be considering a C-XX Xantrex CC.

If you can wait, and need an MPPT CC, the Midnite Classic may be worth the wait.

Just MHO, Vic

Vic,
    Do you know more on the Classic? I was under the impression that it was still in testing with no known production date. I'd be very curious to hear more if you know anything...
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi hill...

Well, it is due early 2010, but things often take a bie longer than expected.

I am waiting for the Classic.

EDIT: Here is a link to a Solar show video where Midnite's Robin is interviewed about the Classic CC :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iifz1...layer_embedded :

(thanks Nigel)

Just poked around on the Midnite site and found this ...

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/classicDevUpdate3.pdf

Have two MX-60s which are great boxes. As I understand it, Robin and boB co-founded Outback, were at Trace and numerous other Solar/alternate energy companies in the PNW, and there seem to be many in the North West.

boB frequents this site, and Robin may as well. Bet that they are both very busy now.

The Host of this site N AZ Wind & Sun is now listing 250 VDC PV breakers, noting that they will be needed for the next gen of MPPT CCs.

Robin did state in that video, that the next wave of Beta Test Classics is coming out very soon. Halfcrazy, (who is here), and a few others have early Beta units.

I hope that we will soon get an official update. The Midnite Classic is a very comprehensive controller, so getting ALL of those features in, and working well takes time. At least, it is field programmable !

OK, I know little, but others will add some real data. Back to work.

All the Best for the New Year, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Sheldon

Doing a bit more reading the XW inverter has a 12V aux output which can be used to close relays etc, and can be triggered by hot batteries and other events. As such would be a good candidate for turning on vent fan.