PV and Solar Heat for 15k gal pool/spa ?

Sheldon
Sheldon Solar Expert Posts: 51 ✭✭✭✭
we have a 15k gal pool and the 2 hp pump takes a big bite of power to keep it clean.

We'll have to run it for a short period of time to power the "Polaris pool cleaner", but would prefer to turn over the water for filtration and heating via a lower power pump, perhaps running on a tracker to give cycle, thats proportionate to need (algae growth)

Any suggestions on fractional HP pumps that could suck 3 feet and push up to 20psig?
that would be sufficient to go through the filter and then up ~8 feet to the collectors.

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: PV and Solar Heat for 15k gal pool/spa ?

search using Google for "Pentair IntelliFlo"

For a 15K pool and solar thermal 3/4 HP is way more than enough, 2HP is ridiculously oversize.

When you run the pool vac, just turn have the solar thermal bypassed if there isn't enough suction
  • Sheldon

So you are suggesting changing out the main pump to a variable speed, instead of simply bypassing it with a low flow filtration/heating pump.
  • Solar Guppy

Yes, run slow for filtration and bump up when you have the need. You can get a second controller interface so the pump can change speed on demand, for example for when the solar thermal is engaged

At a minimum, you can go down to a 1hp motor ( replace the 2hp pump and vane ), that's plenty for both the vac and thermal, I have a 3/4 hp and can do all three just fine.
  • Sheldon

I did want to keep the bigger HP for the spa use., had figured a parallel small pump on DC panel would be simpler than swapping for an expensive multiple/variable speed main pump.
  • Solar Guppy

Parallel is not simple and DC, forget that Idea, as for the flow you need your looking at an expensive motor if you go brush-less plus the controller and is essence that's what the Pentair IntelliFlo is

Why would the spa need a 2hp motor? I get close to 65 gpm with a 3/4hp motor and 20ft head on the collectors
  • Sheldon

Ok you convinced me, I have an old Pentair, so it looks like the install would be almost a plugin, not sure if the wet end is the same, but the plumbing looks to be.

S