Looking for a Utility Meter Socket Extension Box/Panel

Many building dept's. will not allow your inverter overcurrent protection device to exceed 20% of the panels rating.

My panel does not allow very easy access to doing a hot tap or line side tap.

I have had two people tell me that they have seen a box/panel that will plug into the meter socket, then the meter plugs into it. Allowing easy access to a line tap.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these box/panels from?

Ken

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Re: Looking for a Utility Meter Socket Extension Box/Panel
    mtautoken wrote: »
    Many building dept's. will not allow your inverter overcurrent protection device to exceed 20% of the panels rating.

That 20% rule is part of the NEC.
    My panel does not allow very easy access to doing a hot tap or line side tap.

Few do.

I have had two people tell me that they have seen a box/panel that will plug into the meter socket, then the meter plugs into it. Allowing easy access to a line tap.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these box/panels from?

Ken

Yes, but it's not a tap, it's a transfer switch:

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm
  • mtautoken
    mtautoken Registered Users Posts: 7

Iv'e seen that Generater link. Some installers in the Central Valley are using something to accomplish this task, according to the Fresno City building dept. I'm going by there today, I will see if they have a cut sheet on what ever it is they are using.

Thanks for your reply
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I've seen a picture of a device which plugs into the existing meter socket....then the meter plugs into it. It has lugs on it so you can tap in and has a knockout to take it out. Anyone seen something like this? Trying to find a part number and manufacturer. I heard one of the large installers is having someone manufacture them for them.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty good at searching the net. Never found this item. I'm also a journeyman with 12 years in the trade and I've never seen anything like it - other than the generator connect listed above.

In my searching around though, I have found this interesting little doohickey:

http://www.milbankmfg.com/products/Catalogs/CatalogFiles/PDF/K4977LoadTapConnector.pdf#tap

It's basically a replacement for the lay-in top piece on the lug that some meter sockets use. Might work for a solar feed in if the meter socket->bus bar wires are big enough.

If our hosts were to contact Milbank, they might get them interested in working out a good solution for line-side tap. Maybe even work up a special "solar" service entrance.