Absorption chiller info

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Has anyone researched Absorption chillers for running Home Air conditioning ?

I see a lot about heat pumps, just not on chillers.

I have a large solar water heating setup and would like to expand it with a heat pump type AC.
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Absorption chiller info

Have you looked at desuperheaters that take your A/C heat and dump it into your domestic hot water tank?

Or are you talking about using Absorption Chillers like those use in LPG/Kerosene off-grid refrigeration? Here is a detailed white paper (PDF Download) written by a utility company about Absorption Chillers.

Appears to be expensive and inefficient... Can work if you have cheap natural gas and expensive electricity.

Sounds interesting as solar thermal is typically significantly lower in cost vs solar electric--but I don't know the details if you can get the system to run efficiently with low(er) temperature solar heat.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac

BB.

Looks like I got some reading to do...

Haven't looked into desuperheaters. All ready got a 280 gallon Solar water heating/radiant floor heating system.

Funny, while scanning through the PDF file, I did not see a temperature required to operate the system. I like the lithium bromide method better. I heard the ammonia system is dangerous if it leaks or breaks.

My solar water heating system is pumping out around 200 degrees and it's about 75 degrees outside. What about passive solar A/C ?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • poppy
    poppy Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I am Poppy. I am new here. I have been reading the great information tring to find out how I want to built my system. In regards to the Absorption Chillers, the bromide chiller is for solar hot water power A/C. The Problems with the chiller is that it takes special tools to work on it. You have to purge non-condensible gases out every so often. You need acooling tower for the unit.
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

Here you go http://www.yazakienergy.com/
    They work with 158- 205 degree water.
    Only problem is smallest size is 10 ton - 120K BTU.
    This is the smallest absorber on the market that will operate with hot water from a Evacuated tube solar thermal system.
    Flat plates won't work water temps are to low.
    If you already have a large array used for heating this may do the trick, as you probably have to dump excess BTU's in the summer why not use them for cooling.

Has anyone researched Absorption chillers for running Home Air conditioning ?

I see a lot about heat pumps, just not on chillers.

I have a large solar water heating setup and would like to expand it with a heat pump type AC.
  • GreenPowerManiac

Robur single-effect absorption chillers come in a 3 ton system and use the lithium bromide solution. Pretty much salt water solution.

http://www.energytechpro.com/demo-ic/Gas_Technology/Absorption_Chillers.htm

I have no idea what a system like this costs, however, do know that my 5 flat black collectors can easily produce 210 degrees during summer days. Right now, if the sun is out, I'll get around 150-160 degrees on a mostly sunny day.
  • GreenPowerManiac

I'm going to contact Robur to find out what this system is all about and it's costs, if available. Looks like most of the systems are gas fired heat pumps, we'll see......

Update: 10:58am CST

Turns out that they make a 3 ton unit (Gas-Fired) for the U.K. only. Operating at 50 Hz, the system has not been designed to run 240v 60Hz for the U.S. There are larger systems that will work here, however, they require production of temps 300 degrees and up.
  • chenqiuping
    chenqiuping Banned Posts: 1

hi sir

we are a chinese factory, we have produce solar air conditioner for more than five years, and we have a lot experience to produce of lithium bromide chiller, we have sold some chiller in european , we also have sold some solar air conditioner in european, so if you want to check out our chiller you can connect with me.
    1)This type of absorption chiller is to use hot water to make cool.
    2)Powered by solar,saving electricity,green.

Small-scale absorption chiller,this type of absorption chiller is to use hot water(from solar collector or other) to make cool.As manufacture of absorption chiller,we can supply chiller only or integrated unit which not only includes absorption chiller,but cooling water tower,chilled water pump,vaccum pump and hot water three-way valve.Normally,its stardard technical parameters as following,but we would like to supply customerized service if you need.

1)Cooling capacity:11.5Kw to 350Kw /3.3US RT to 99US RT

2)Refrierator:water

3)Absorb: lithium bromide solution

4)Inhabitor: lithium chromate or lithium molydate

5)Inlet temp of hot water:90°c-95°c

6)Inlet & outlet temp of chilled water:15°c/1.0°c or 12°c/7°c

7)Power consumption for absorbtion chiller only: from 0.15Kw to 1.1Kw

8)Power consumption for intergrated unit: from 1.0Kw to 21.2Kw

9)COP: 0.7-1.35

10) Designed life span:20years

for the solar air conditioner:

1、we used solar to collect heat, and warm up water to more than 72℃,and we use the absorption chiller to for cooling,just like you did;

2、we also have a factury to produce solar collector, we have another factory to produce absorption chiller;

3、 we have a lot of project was operate , in our factory we just used solar air conditoner;

4、we have small type absorption chiller ,from 11.5KWto 290kw,we also have 2900kw chiller;

Finally,thanks a lot for your attention and time,let sun enjoy us cooling&warming
    Yours sincerely

Many thanks
    chen
    frozenwonderland@hotmail.com