notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar powered car cover

Cute, but probably not very practical.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i agree with bill for most car batteries only need a maintenance charge (.1-.5a) so a panel as big as they have would be a waste and most likely would be stolen before you realize it.
    it would not protect my car as most of the weather and dirt would come from the direction of the street for me meaning the side of the car would still get nailed.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

I assumed the solar panel design was intended for hybrid/electric cars (and such as powering ventilation when parked--like the version available for the Prius can):
    Like the solar panel available as an option on the 2010 Prius, the solar device could be used to power the air conditioner, keeping the cabin cool while parked.

The designer is Leon Zhu from China, and we admit he nailed the contest's goals of coming up with "tecologically friendly solutions that were design-centric without looking completely unrealistic." Somewhat unrealistic, sure, but not completely. There's a picture of the Shelf folding into the rear wing after the jump.

Met the contest's goals.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset