Options
2»

Comments

• SolarSailor
    SolarSailor Solar Expert Posts: 49
    Options
    Re: 24v or 48v?

RE: Autowound Transformers

Didn't read the entire article yet, but it did state these work for 40%-115% of input voltage. So, a 15% gain wouldn't seem to get from 120v to 240v on the surface.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    I know AZ is hot, but 100+ with 80%-90% humidity is something even you guys could get cranky over.

Who's AZ? :p

I am just south of San Francisco near SF Bay... We have a pretty temperate climate Summer and Winter. So I don't get to play with A/C or need huge amounts of insulation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

Here is the manual for Outback's FW-X240 transformer (PDF download) (it is used in an auto wound configurations for some applications).

We are probably getting to the limits I could guide you on transformer selection without a lot more research on my side. Auto wound tend to be cheaper--but is may not be appropriate for your application (once you have it worked out in more detail).

If you are looking for a larger system--the Xantrex XW Hybrid Inverter does do away with most of the external hardware required for the 120/240 VAC issues.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarSailor
    Options
    Who's AZ?
    Oh......never mind. :blush:
  • BB.
    Options

Just Teasing! :D

I have made very good friends with GeoBytes. You plug in the IP Address at the top of a post, and ~90+% of the time it can give a region of the world of where the poster is from.

It is very helpful as not many people here put their location in their personal profile and so much of solar is based on where you are from. I think it is helpful when we can give a reply that is at least close to where the person lives and not confuse the issue of discussing winter angles on solar panels to shed snow for somebody in Florida.

You, Solar Sailor, keep playing mind games on me! Oklahoma? No sailboat on the gulf or something? It does get hard sometimes to keep track of the posters when several threads are going at the same time.

-Bill
  • SolarSailor
    Options

Interesting, didn't know IP addresses had a geo-component to them. I'll be using that.

I use www.grc.com to test my firewall and it does display some info about IPs which are a dead-giveaway on me at least since the server has my town name. (TulsaConnect.com).

I selected SolarSailor from a long time ago when I used that alias on my CompuServe account or something. When I did a Google on it now, all I get is sailboats, but it was originally a NASA project for deep space exploration using a big sail to catch solar photons for propulsion.

I have sailed though. Oklahoma, and NE Oklahoma in particular, has more shoreline than the U.S. (east-west coast combined). Lots of lakes, and sailboats. Just not the big ones. Wasn't much of a sailor either. You know, wasn't my boat and I wasn't the Captain. :p
  • BB.
    Options

The IP address (up at least until you hit a corporate firewall) is a physical routing address.

The first part is assigned in large blocks to companies by country. The fine grain stuff (down to the last aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd) is the final destination and, I believe is based on self reported locations of the last router and possibly harvesting information collected from users (somebody fill out a form (zip code, mailing address, etc.) with others "near" your IP address, that is correlated with the physical locations given by other IP users in your area).

Usually gets close enough... But some networks use Proxies (like AOL, some wireless networks, large companies) and all of there Internet traffic comes from just a few IP addresses (routers at the edge of their private network)--so it does not work for some classes of users.

Private networks use Network Address Translations (NAT) so that you cannot see beyond their firewalls (good protection against random internet attacks--outside computers cannot access computers behind the NAT unless the request was first made by a computer behind the firewall). I am not a network guy--so I will stop there before I further embarrass myself. :blush:

-Bill
  • SolarSailor
    Options

I got to thinking that perhaps they used a DNS-type server for geocoding IP addresses rather than relying on their actual number to be a geographic region.