questions...

Options
pedro
pedro Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi all. I'm going to mount two 2 185 watt panels on the roof of my bus (might add more later) which will charge 4 to 6 6v batteries by way of a 60 amp mppt controller. My question concerns protecting the system components from shorts. Do I just need to fuse or place breakers between the panels and controller?

Many thanks

Comments

• Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: questions...

I assume that your battery bank is 12V, implying a series/parallel connection. What is the AH rating of your batteries? Will your panels be connected in series or parallel? What devices/loads will be connected to your battery bank?

In general, two panels in series probably do not need a fuse between them and the charge controller (depends somewhat on the gauge of the wire that connects them.) Proper fusing is essential between the battery bank and the loads. The sizing of which depends on 1) the loads and 2) the wire gauge.

K
  • pedro
    Options

Yep, batteries wired for 12v and they're rated @ 220 ah. I'd planned to wire the panels in series. I pretty well have it figured on the output side of the batteries, but not from the panels to the batteries.

thanks
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    but not from the panels to the batteries.
    Usually the required fuse/breaker is printed on the back label of the panel, at least it is on the 4 brands of panels that I use. There are usually a fuse/breaker between panels and CC and fuse/breaker between CC and battery. If you have more then one string of panels, then a combiner box with a fuse for each string would be required. A separate and much larger fuse/breaker from the battery to the loads HTH
  • pedro
    Options

Thanks for the info fellas.