Not like this

Options
Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
I'm no wind power expert, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the way to mount an Air-X.
Saw this in passing. A very windy day, but the blades weren't turning. Something to do with it being surrounded on three sides by trees, no doubt.
airx.jpg 115.7K

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Not like this

Installing the shipping box would result in as much production as an Air-x puts out (or so I've heard)

Ralph
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Why many people knock the AirX ??
    I have one installed now for 3 years never touched it. it can easy put out 20 to 30 amps in good wind . and we get winds like that a lot and its at night time usually so while the solar panels putting out nothing the AirX is keeping the batteries full.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    Why many people knock the AirX ??
    I have one installed now for 3 years never touched it. it can easy put out 20 to 30 amps in good wind . and we get winds like that a lot and its at night time usually so while the solar panels putting out nothing the AirX is keeping the batteries full.

Consider yourself lucky. Air-X, and indeed small-scale wind turbines on the whole, have quite the reputation for not delivering on their claimed output. Sometimes this is due to the installation; there simply isn't enough wind available.

I was pointing out the installation fault, not knocking the Air-X itself. Stripping a live tree of its branches is bad. No wires to prevent sway is bad. Being located somewhere out of the wind is the worst. The wind was blowing dead trees down along the whole route, and knocking down road signs - yet the blades on that turbine weren't moving.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

even in that installation the blades should move some. suspect something else to be wrong.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options

From that picture, do I see guy wires ? Or is this an illusion ?

I'd hate to be the one taking it down for repairs.....

Wasn't there another thread about tree mounting ?

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=5490&highlight=mount+tree

Maybe a Grid-Tie with a telephone pole mount system but not a tree......
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

No wires; I checked my original photo carefully.

This is an example of "don't blame the product". Clearly the installation is at fault. If there's ever anyone home here when I go past I'll stop and talk to them about it.

And yes we did discuss the potential disaster of mounting solar panels on tree top. An even worse idea.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options

I don't see any indication in photo that it was all that windy of a day -- the trees in the photo were all very vertical and very unmoved.

That said --the turbine needed to be a LOT higher up to get out of the way of any blockage from those trees.

(And "rip-off story" -- the company that did my install years ago tried to sell me a turbine. They have one mounted on the roof of their office and I can't say that I've ever seen it turn. Not even once.)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    tallgirl wrote: »
    I don't see any indication in photo that it was all that windy of a day -- the trees in the photo were all very vertical and very unmoved.

You don't see any indication because this was a well-sheltered location - exactly where you don't put a turbine.
    I was there, and trust me the wind was blowing steady and hard out in the open.