Got it figured out ? Solar Ventilation

Options
GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Was experimenting with my homemade Solar panels & ventilation. Before, they'd fog up a bit with air moisture. The unfortunate disadvantage of using wood frames, they can't be vacuum sealed. However, I experimented with one panel that was fogging up and drilled 10 - 1/4" holes in the bottom and top of panel (the wood 1" spacer between the plywood and plexiglass) . Screened them off for bugs and put a piece of form fitted "J" channel (screwed down) and used it as ridge vent to keep water out. I must say the fogging thing is in the past. We've had a few rainy days and a couple days of heavy frost and it didn't faze it one bit. The past few weeks have proven worthy of my efforts. The cells produce heat and it's quickly dissipated.
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• cards385
    cards385 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Options
    Re: Got it figured out ? Solar Ventilation

I will have to do the same thing. My homemade panels get condensation in them overnight and stays in most of the day. Its my first panel, I will ventilate the next one, this week I hope.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Got it figured out ? Solar Ventilation

Make sure the panels are on at least a 45 degree angle so any condensation drains on the inside of the glass towards a drilled hole and not onto a cell.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.